Redefinition of the farming rule

Suggestions that have been inactive for a long period of time.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Redefinition of the farming rule

Postby Jippd on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:37 am

MichelSableheart wrote:[*]systematically creating 5 player standard feudal war games, with the intent of getting new recruits to join.[/list]

I don't agree with this. It is fun to play with 5 players on maps like feudal or pelo. In the example of feudal epic or pelo playing five players allows you to each start with one base and have 3 neutral bases, which encourages people to attack more.
Brigadier Jippd

Medals: 104
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 am

As of right now, we are talking about something behind the scenes involving this. I mean, nothing, move along, nothing to see here.
Sergeant 1st Class TheForgivenOne

Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (7)
General Contribution (11)

Postby cookie0117 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:36 am

greenoaks wrote:every game i play i intend on taking advantage of them. some maps & settings i have an actual chance of doing so.

i am against this because this rule stops me from playing almost everyone on this site on Realms 2, Manual, Freestyle, Nuke, Foggy.

no one is forcing the low ranks to join those games. they choose to do so.

The moral line is crossed when you actively seek them by invite.
Major cookie0117

Medals: 62
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby s3xt0y on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:As of right now, we are talking about something behind the scenes involving this. I mean, nothing, move along, nothing to see here.

I have seen this before in a DH thread from last year, really discussing eh?
Sergeant 1st Class s3xt0y

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby oran0007 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:43 am

I agree with this. On a side note, why did greenoaks have to say why he/she disagrees if those who agree did not have to state why they agree. If the intent of the thread is to gauge interest, simply disagreeing helps with that. It just doesn't help the op change the suggestion. If one does not like the suggestion at all, they may see no way of improving it, and therefore not waste their time explaining why they disagree just to start an argument.

Back on topic, I think that this would be great because it would make me less wary of joining games on maps I am unfamiliar with, without having to wait for the last spot to ensure I don't lose to someone who spends all of his/her time on that map. I don't mind losing, I just want to be able to get a feel for a map before I play the sharks. ;)
Corporal 1st Class oran0007

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby eddie2 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:59 am

s3xt0y wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:As of right now, we are talking about something behind the scenes involving this. I mean, nothing, move along, nothing to see here.

I have seen this before in a DH thread from last year, really discussing eh?

was this the same thread where certain maps were meant to be added to the ban list for new recruits ?????
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby barackattack on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:11 am

How do you prove intent?
justin bieber charlie sheen rebecca black nude naked paris hilton slut xxx dirty free teen school abuse torture iraq soldier gingrich paul tea party 9/11 conspiracy bush oil ryan dunn video dead steve jobs apple sucks
Private 1st Class barackattack

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby MichelSableheart on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 am

Proving intent is impossible, of course. However, that doesn't mean that intent can't be determined. Contents of pms, invitations sent and talking to the player will give quite some insight in the intentions of a player. And if there's doubt wrt intent, the player can be requested to stop the suspect behaviour without punishment.
MichelSableheart,
Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Colonel MichelSableheart

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby MichelSableheart on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 am

Jippd wrote:
MichelSableheart wrote:[*]systematically creating 5 player standard feudal war games, with the intent of getting new recruits to join.

I don't agree with this. It is fun to play with 5 players on maps like feudal or pelo. In the example of feudal epic or pelo playing five players allows you to each start with one base and have 3 neutral bases, which encourages people to attack more.

If those are your reasons, then you don't have the intent of getting new recruits to join, which means that you wouldn't be in problems given the rule as proposed. However, you might be asked to organize those games as private games through callouts to show that systematically playing New Recruits indeed isn't what you're after.
MichelSableheart,
Colonel MichelSableheart

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby IR1SH ACE on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:20 am

I agree with this....would be an improvement
Major IR1SH ACE

Medals: 54
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby JCR on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:36 am

I agree with this, however based on the recent rule change to lessen the punishment for farming instituted to IMO protect friends. seen here http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=239&t=162184this conversation and others like it I fear are little more than mental masturbation.

It is clear that the rules can and will be changed rather easily, but considering that MANY have brought up this topic for apparently quite a long time with no action ever having been taken, this suggestion too will be ignored.

I hate to be cynical but it appears to me that open season has been declared for farming and ranching, quite the opposite of what you are suggesting.
Major JCR

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:50 am

MichelSableheart wrote:Proving intent is impossible, of course.

So you want to give more power in the hands of the moderators to arbitrarily decide who gets punished and who doesn't?

Smart.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 pm

natty_dread wrote:
MichelSableheart wrote:Proving intent is impossible, of course.

So you want to give more power in the hands of the moderators to arbitrarily decide who gets punished and who doesn't?

More power? Your use of that phrase in this context confuses me.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby rockfist on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:25 pm

I have gone on medal hunts often...when I want to get some points and I've been on a medal hunt I will "target" higher ranked players in speed games because I figure I am somewhere around 50% to win and the points differential is such that by winning 50% of those games I will win a lot more points than I lose. Would this constitute picking on a specific group of players and thus be farming?
Lowest Score 1,000, Highest Win Percentage - 100%.
Colonel rockfist

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:28 pm

rockfist wrote:I have gone on medal hunts often...when I want to get some points and I've been on a medal hunt I will "target" higher ranked players in speed games because I figure I am somewhere around 50% to win and the points differential is such that by winning 50% of those games I will win a lot more points than I lose. Would this constitute picking on a specific group of players and thus be farming?

I suppose an argument could be made for it (I do precisely the same thing) however, I would disagree...in my view, a "rancher" (if you will) fully expects to win a vast majority of their games due to the tremendous difference in skill levels whereas in what you're describing you are hoping to win around 50% of the games. There a LOT more risk involved in your strategy than in the "rancher" strategy...far more.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby rockfist on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:37 pm

I hope to win somewhat more than 50% (although realistically not more than 60). I am just cocky (stupid) enough to think I can.
Lowest Score 1,000, Highest Win Percentage - 100%.
Colonel rockfist

Medals: 67
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11)

Postby Woodruff on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:46 pm

rockfist wrote:I hope to win somewhat more than 50% (although realistically not more than 60). I am just cocky (stupid) enough to think I can.

Ok, but you surely understand the point I'm making. <smile>

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 am

Why should it be illegal to play games you know you'll likely win?

I still haven't heard a good answer to this question.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Jippd on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:11 am

natty_dread wrote:Why should it be illegal to play games you know you'll likely win?

Another good question is who would join or create a game that they don't think they will win?
Brigadier Jippd

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby MichelSableheart on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 am

natty_dread wrote:So you want to give more power in the hands of the moderators to arbitrarily decide who gets punished and who doesn't?
No more power or arbitrariness then they already have. In the current farming rules, they have to determine the difference between occasional and systematic. They already have to determine what use of language is acceptable or unacceptable behaviour. Determining intent is of a similar magnitude, and can be expected from good, fair moderators. Whether or not we have those is another issue, that should not influence this discussion IMO.

rockfist wrote:I have gone on medal hunts often...when I want to get some points and I've been on a medal hunt I will "target" higher ranked players in speed games because I figure I am somewhere around 50% to win and the points differential is such that by winning 50% of those games I will win a lot more points than I lose. Would this constitute picking on a specific group of players and thus be farming?
Picking on a specific group of players isn't the only part of the proposed farming rule. There's also the "intent to take advantage" part. What you describe would probably be picking on a specific group of players, but without intent to take advantage, there's no problem.

natty_dread wrote:Why should it be illegal to play games you know you'll likely win?
Following the rules proposed, you're free to play whatever maps and settings you want, as long as you play all comers. It's not illegal to play games you know you'll likely win, it's illegal to systematically play opponents you'll likely win against. Why should it be? Because that behaviour creates a poor playing experience for those players.
MichelSableheart,
Colonel MichelSableheart

Postby Woodruff on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Jippd wrote:

Another good question is who would join or create a game that they don't think they will win?

I would. I don't want an easy win, I want the fun of actual competition.

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Jippd wrote:

I would too. For medals or to learn new maps.
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby Jippd on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:29 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Jippd wrote:

My point is that every map I play (whether I know it or not), I go into the game planning on winning whether I will or not is a different question.
Brigadier Jippd

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Jippd wrote:My point is that every map I play (whether I know it or not), I go into the game planning on winning whether I will or not is a different question.

Fair enough.
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby Woodruff on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Jippd wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Jippd wrote:

My point is that every map I play (whether I know it or not), I go into the game planning on winning whether I will or not is a different question.

Well, of course. But that's really not the sort of thing that's the problem...that's just simple competitiveness. That's a far different thing from knowing you're getting an almost certain victory.

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions