Conquer Club

[GO] Fog of Rank

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Anonymous Games

Postby isodice on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Having more anonymity in the games definitely makes it less personal, and more objective, when playing among friends. I agree that this is a great option to have, in addition to Fog of War...it could be something like...Fog of Players. How about it?!?
Sergeant 1st Class isodice

Re: Anonymous Games

Postby sectrean on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 pm

I agree that would be a good option.
Sergeant sectrean

Fog of Player.

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Now, I thought this had been suggested, but I couldn't find it.

No player names during singles games(optional) especialy terminator
    Players should show up as :
      ???
      ???
      ???
      ect.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Will eliminate the targeting of high ranked players in terminator games. could be turned off for high ranks who think it will provide more of a chalenge
  • Only reasonably applicable if a system is set up to tell you before you accidently join the game of a foe.
Last edited by Mr_Adams on Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Mr_Adams

Re: Fog of Player.

Postby sailorseal on Fri May 01, 2009 9:51 pm

I like the idea
Cook sailorseal

Postby tdans on Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 pm

i agree .. would make playing terminators much more fun
Lieutenant tdans

Postby MoB Deadly on Sat May 02, 2009 12:34 am

oooo, good idea
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby cicero on Sat May 02, 2009 2:38 am

Mr_Adams wrote:Now, I thought this had been suggested, but I couldn't find it.
Found it for you.

Duplicate suggestion merged.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Re: anonymous, or "Fog-of-Player" games (Ā©owenshooter) [POLL!]

Postby Incandenza on Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 am

This was also suggested in some form by dugcarr a billion years ago. Terrific idea, I can't see why it at least wasn't left to molder on the to-do list.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sat May 02, 2009 4:01 pm

this sounds like a cool idea
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby squishyg on Mon May 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Fun idea, I would play that.

Only potential issue I see-What about people on shared computers? Might you accidentally join a game with a roommate or family member and then be accused of being a multi?
Captain squishyg

Postby Mr_Adams on Tue May 05, 2009 11:10 pm

no more comments? is it just so simple that nobody has anything to add?

oh well! Guess that means this moves to the top of the list Lack!
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby squishyg on Wed May 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Well, we are simple people.
Captain squishyg

Hide rank in game

Postby Molwen on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:01 am

Concise description:
  • Hide the rank of the players while in game

Specifics:
  • Numerous time I have been the subject of an alliance between high ranked players, simply because they dont want to lose to me as that will mean a more significant points loss for them.
  • This is an instance of the 'meta-game' of the site rankings impacting on the actual games being played, something which I feel is undesirable. The points and ranks are great fun, but when as a lower ranked player, doing well in a tournament, you become the target in a 3-way stalemate simply because your opponents dont want to loose to a lower ranked player the meta-game is impacting in a quite negative way on the real game.
  • Obviously anyone could look up your character sheet and see your rank, however I think that having it that one step removed would greatly reduce the likelihood of this occurring.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Players would never be the target of alliances due to their rank in the meta-game, something that can be frustrating, and certainly has a negative impact on games.
Sergeant 1st Class Molwen

Re: Hide rank in game

Postby BoganGod on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:48 am

This could be useful. I don't play much or any public standard, or terminator as people love playing hit the hat or the brig, will suicide and ruin the game for both of us. Pity as I used to enjoy playing those games.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby jaimito101 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:00 am

Molwen wrote:Obviously anyone could look up your character sheet and see your rank, however I think that having it that one step removed would greatly reduce the likelihood of this occurring.

If people, as you say find i important not to loose points, they will still look you up, or they will state in game chat that they have a high rank themselves. I think this wouldn't fix anything but add to the hassle for the rest of the players. people want to know what kind of player they are facing and how many points they will loose. I agree it is not sportmanshiplike to gang up on the player with the lowest rank... but then i guess your best solution would be to foe them, or point them on their lack of sportsmanship.
Colonel jaimito101

Postby BoganGod on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:50 am

jaimito101 wrote:
Molwen wrote:Obviously anyone could look up your character sheet and see your rank, however I think that having it that one step removed would greatly reduce the likelihood of this occurring.

If people, as you say find i important not to loose points, they will still look you up, or they will state in game chat that they have a high rank themselves. I think this wouldn't fix anything but add to the hassle for the rest of the players. people want to know what kind of player they are facing and how many points they will loose. I agree it is not sportmanshiplike to gang up on the player with the lowest rank... but then i guess your best solution would be to foe them, or point them on their lack of sportsmanship.

A hell of a lot of people don't bother with game chat.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:08 pm

BoganGod wrote:This could be useful. I don't play much or any public standard, or terminator as people love playing hit the hat or the brig, will suicide and ruin the game for both of us. Pity as I used to enjoy playing those games.

I have been a low rank and a "high rank" for public games. You can't start a multiplayer public game even just as a major and expect to win. Many times if multiple low ranks join, they say "you are obviously a good player" as an excuse for suiciding me, when I'm just a captain or major. This is a much bigger problem than teaming up against weaker players. I have seen high ranks "root" for low ranks once they are eliminated, but I've never seen someone targeted because they are bad.

Most of the time people leave low ranks alone because they think they will be able to beat a low rank once it gets down to 1v1.
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby Molwen on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Well, regardless of the cause of the ganging up, it does seem that it is not only me that has experienced this. Its not against any rules, but does have a negative impact on games in my oppinion. Perhaps another alternate change would be to make it against the rules?

Postby wolfpack0530 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Molwen, I have seen it go both ways. In stalemates, the higher ranks would rather not lose huge points when they can lose a smaller amount. I have seen them gang up on the weaker player so-as not to lose to them.

I have also seen the high ranker get ganged up on by being perceived as "too good". i suppose that these cases happen, and they happen often enough to be noticable, but i would still say that this happens a minority of the time.

I kindof think that it tends to even out a bit, but i also avoid certain games now. i can spot a game before i even join it and be pretty sure that i will get ganged up on and have little chance of winning, so i will avoid that game.

For instance, I am in an AOR2 1v1 tourney and am doing quite well. However i was matched up against an opponent in a best of 5 series who only had 1200 points compared to my 2700. I beat him 3 games to 2. i won 9 points for each victory and lost 43 for each defeat. YIKES!!! i am not a point whore or anything, but i do enjoy climbing up the ladder, and in the future i will probably decide not to take that risk again.

As for your idea. It sounds great on the surface, but i doubt that many above major will want to participate in these types of games for fear that there may be a cook or two in there with the hottest dice ever :)
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby BoganGod on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:46 pm

wolfpack0530 wrote:Molwen, I have seen it go both ways. In stalemates, the higher ranks would rather not lose huge points when they can lose a smaller amount. I have seen them gang up on the weaker player so-as not to lose to them.

I have also seen the high ranker get ganged up on by being perceived as "too good". i suppose that these cases happen, and they happen often enough to be noticable, but i would still say that this happens a minority of the time.

I kindof think that it tends to even out a bit, but i also avoid certain games now. i can spot a game before i even join it and be pretty sure that i will get ganged up on and have little chance of winning, so i will avoid that game.

For instance, I am in an AOR2 1v1 tourney and am doing quite well. However i was matched up against an opponent in a best of 5 series who only had 1200 points compared to my 2700. I beat him 3 games to 2. i won 9 points for each victory and lost 43 for each defeat. YIKES!!! i am not a point whore or anything, but i do enjoy climbing up the ladder, and in the future i will probably decide not to take that risk again.

As for your idea. It sounds great on the surface, but i doubt that many above major will want to participate in these types of games for fear that there may be a cook or two in there with the hottest dice ever :)

Another well thought out answer/addition. What he just said :) I agree
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Molwen on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks for the well thought out reply :)
Like I said, maybe the best solution is a rule change to make any kind of rank based 'ganging up' against the rules, allowing higher ranked players to avoid games with lower ranked ones if they so choose, but preventing the lower/higher ranked players getting an unfair disadvantage if, for example, they happen to be matched up together in a tournament.

I would also add that the ranking/points system is impartial and fair, and for losing twice to a cook and winning 3 times against them as a high ranked player you should lose a few points :P

Postby Woodruff on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:I have seen high ranks "root" for low ranks once they are eliminated, but I've never seen someone targeted because they are bad.
Most of the time people leave low ranks alone because they think they will be able to beat a low rank once it gets down to 1v1.

I have to disagree. It seems to be a CONSTANT issue that in games where a lower-ranked player is in the lead or even in just a strong defensible position, someone higher-ranked will suicide against them and state in the chat that the reason is because they'll lose fewer points by ensuring that someone else wins the game. I see it all the time...definitely not a rarity.

Fortunately for me, my rank sits in that "in between" space where I'm not particularly targeted in either fashion, because I'm rarely the lowest-ranked player and I'm never the highest-ranked.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Molwen wrote:Thanks for the well thought out reply :)
Like I said, maybe the best solution is a rule change to make any kind of rank based 'ganging up' against the rules, allowing higher ranked players to avoid games with lower ranked ones if they so choose, but preventing the lower/higher ranked players getting an unfair disadvantage if, for example, they happen to be matched up together in a tournament.

I would like to see tournament games be point-free. The site, however, seems bound and determined not to give into good sense.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:04 am

Woodruff wrote:

I would like to see tournament games be point-free. The site, however, seems bound and determined not to give into good sense.

If you did this you waould have to say clan wars are point-free too. After tourneys and clan wars, many high-ranked players don't play, or hardly play. Their rank would just stay the same.

In terms of this thread, I agre that if no ranks were involved it would be fairer, just don't see how a rule change can fix this, you can still see people's wall with one click.

My suggestion is to create a thread in the Callouts Forum (or find one if there's one already there) and create private games for non-officers. I don't think a thread for this level exists, but look at the Lieutenants local, Mess Hall (the Captain one, may have gotten the name slightly wrong), or the 2000+ thread for the basic idea. Think of a password, create a few private games, and tell people to PM you for the pasword. Then this is not a problem, everyone is around the same rank.
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby BoganGod on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:16 am

jrh_cardinal wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

If you did this you waould have to say clan wars are point-free too. After tourneys and clan wars, many high-ranked players don't play, or hardly play. Their rank would just stay the same.

In terms of this thread, I agre that if no ranks were involved it would be fairer, just don't see how a rule change can fix this, you can still see people's wall with one click.

My suggestion is to create a thread in the Callouts Forum (or find one if there's one already there) and create private games for non-officers. I don't think a thread for this level exists, but look at the Lieutenants local, Mess Hall (the Captain one, may have gotten the name slightly wrong), or the 2000+ thread for the basic idea. Think of a password, create a few private games, and tell people to PM you for the pasword. Then this is not a problem, everyone is around the same rank.

Excellent suggestion mate.
Corporal BoganGod

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions