Inability to Join Foe Games Only If Foe Created the Game

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Implement Change in Foe Mechanics as Suggested in First Post

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes : 23

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:18 am

Concise description:
  • Foe-list only works for the original game creators when it's a FFA game

Specifics:
  • If it is Standard/Assassin/Terminator then only the foe-list of the game-creator/first-person is used to determine who can and can't join
  • If it is a team game, everyone's foe-list is in effect, as per usual

Still allows you to keep your foes out of your team games, but the 'open' games are still open to everyone who isn't on the OP's list.
The problem I see this solving is when there is say a Standard 8p game with 1-6 players in, then KLOBBER joins for instance. No-one else can join. He's basically earmarking the game, which is against the spirit of Public games.
Captain e_i_pi

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Re: Suggestion: Limitation on the effect of foe lists

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:25 am

I like the idea in theory...

But, 90% of the people on my foes list are people who have suicided (into me or someone else). I do not want to play ANY games with that person. So if I join a game, I still do not want that person in it no matter what.

Yes, it is unfair to the game creator that he might be friends with that person... but I would say I choose not being suicided into and hypothetically stopping that from happening to the game creator rather than being a bit more fair to game creators.

Good idea, but I would vote "no"
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:29 am

The Neon Peon wrote:I like the idea in theory...

But, 90% of the people on my foes list are people who have suicided (into me or someone else). I do not want to play ANY games with that person. So if I join a game, I still do not want that person in it no matter what.

Yes, it is unfair to the game creator that he might be friends with that person... but I would say I choose not being suicided into and hypothetically stopping that from happening to the game creator rather than being a bit more fair to game creators.

Yeah sure, no dramas. I'm more interested in just getting this idea out there for discussion. Some foe lists are a bit overboard IMO, just tossing up ideas to curtail the impact they have
Captain e_i_pi

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Postby demonfork on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:23 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:I like the idea in theory...

If you are not the host of the game, why should your foe list apply to everyone else? I have always thought that this was a lame feature of the foe list. I have even been in situations where we had to drop the game that the host started and start up a new one, so that I could hop in before the guy did that had me on his foe list, or have the host send a pm saying "could you please take demonfork off of your foe list so he can join my game"

I think that this is a good idea, and would be for it's implementation
Corporal 1st Class demonfork

Medals: 61
Conqueror Achievement (1) Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:29 pm

:shock:
Demonfork is agreeing with me? Someone ring Beelzebub, put in an order for 10 million ice cubes.

I would like to see it implemented, but you know, it's a raw idea. I don't mind being on people's foe lists, that's fine, but when it's abused and creates an environment of exclusivity, then it starts becoming it's own problem.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby GrimReaper. on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:33 pm

i like it
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Artimis on Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:36 pm

A fringe benefit also is that hardcore farmers who foe regular players can't block regulars from joining unless they're the host.

My vote is 'Aye'.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:27 pm

Artimis wrote:A fringe benefit also is that hardcore farmers who foe regular players can't block regulars from joining unless they're the host.

My vote is 'Aye'.

Q: Um... yeah... and when is a farmer not a host?
A: When he joins last and still has a 100% chance of farming...

You need to use logic a bit more often... or maybe I am missing something?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:00 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:
Artimis wrote:A fringe benefit also is that hardcore farmers who foe regular players can't block regulars from joining unless they're the host.

My vote is 'Aye'.

Q: Um... yeah... and when is a farmer not a host?
A: When he joins last and still has a 100% chance of farming...

You need to use logic a bit more often... or maybe I am missing something?

Game 3907033
Game 3907039
Game 3907479
Game 3908894

That's from a search of actives alone.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Artimis on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:57 am

The Neon Peon wrote:or maybe I am missing something?

I could answer that, but then I'd be put on forum vacation. Besides I don't want to annoy e_i_pi by derailing his/her thread. I believe the point has been made, this suggestion is a good idea and I'm firmly behind it.

Captain Artimis

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:35 pm

e_i_pi wrote:Concise description:
Specifics:
  • If it is Standard/Assassin/Terminator then only the foe-list of the game-creator/first-person is used to determine who can and can't join
Still allows you to keep your foes out of your team games, but the 'open' games are still open to everyone who isn't on the OP's list.
The problem I see this solving is when there is say a Standard 8p game with 1-6 players in, then KLOBBER joins for instance. No-one else can join. He's basically earmarking the game, which is against the spirit of Public games.

If I understand this idea correctly, I hate it. Allow me to explain why...almost everyone on my FOE list is there because of abusive language. If they're allowed to join any game I'm in simply because I didn't start it, then I am still going to be subjected once again to their abusive language. This suggestion, in my opinion, essentially eliminates all value of the FOE list. However, I recognize I may have misunderstood the idea, so feel free to tell me if I have.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:38 pm

demonfork wrote:If you are not the host of the game, why should your foe list apply to everyone else?

It seems patently obvious to me that the answer to this question is "because each individual is still playing in the game and each individual's enjoyment is just as important as anyone else's in the game".

In fact, I would say it seems very odd that ONLY the original game-starter's FOE list would apply to the game. That really eliminates the idea of what the FOE list is designed to do.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby e_i_pi on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Woodruff wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:Concise description:
Specifics:

If I understand this idea correctly, I hate it. Allow me to explain why...almost everyone on my FOE list is there because of abusive language. If they're allowed to join any game I'm in simply because I didn't start it, then I am still going to be subjected once again to their abusive language. This suggestion, in my opinion, essentially eliminates all value of the FOE list. However, I recognize I may have misunderstood the idea, so feel free to tell me if I have.

I'll answer this as best I can...

If it is a team game, they cannot join, so you don't have to put up with their shit no matter what
If it is Standard/Assassin/Terminator and you didn't start the game, they can still join. BUT, because they are on your foe list, they are automatically ignored, so you don't have to read their abusive language in game chat.

Sound better now? It's essentially to stop earmarking of games, abuse in game chat will still be ignored as your foe settings auto-ignore them :)
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Woodruff on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:03 am

e_i_pi wrote:
Woodruff wrote:If I understand this idea correctly, I hate it. Allow me to explain why...almost everyone on my FOE list is there because of abusive language. If they're allowed to join any game I'm in simply because I didn't start it, then I am still going to be subjected once again to their abusive language. This suggestion, in my opinion, essentially eliminates all value of the FOE list. However, I recognize I may have misunderstood the idea, so feel free to tell me if I have.

I'll answer this as best I can...
If it is a team game, they cannot join, so you don't have to put up with their shit no matter what
If it is Standard/Assassin/Terminator and you didn't start the game, they can still join. BUT, because they are on your foe list, they are automatically ignored, so you don't have to read their abusive language in game chat.
Sound better now? It's essentially to stop earmarking of games, abuse in game chat will still be ignored as your foe settings auto-ignore them :)

Good point, and I hadn't considered the fact that I still wouldn't see their chat...I forgot about that affect of the FOE list. So for me personally, it does work since that's primarily why I FOE folks. Other FOE reasons may still not be aided by it, though.

Foe List only counts for creator of game.

Postby Try Again on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:16 am

<
Concise description:
Whenever somebody creates a game the only foe list in effect in the joining of the game is the creators.
Specifics:
For Example if person A creates a game has person D on ignore. And person B is friends with person A and person B has person C on ignore. Person B joins the game. The only person that would be blocked from the game because person D was the only one on person A's ignore list.
This will improve the following aspects of the site:
In Battle Royale many people couldnt join because somebody had them on ignore. The person who starts the game doesnt have a choice who joins the game besides the ignore list and somebody can make a decesion to join a game or not even if they have the person on the ignore list.

I hope I'm not confusing
Corporal Try Again

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Foe List only counts for creator of game.

Postby Artimis on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:29 am

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73219

This post is on the same subject, it also has my support, maybe the mods might consider merging these posts?

Captain Artimis

Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby ziggyy77 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Concise description:
Change the effect of the foe list.

Specifics/Details:
I am, as far as I know, only on 1 person's foe list because that player was very irrational (called me a suicider when I attacked him 15v7 when if I won, I would get a bonus) and so because of a player that was completely clueless foe'd me, I can no longer join games that this player is in. Unfortunately, he seems to be in a number of games I would like to join.

This really bothers me in the sense that I have seemingly been banished from a number of games I enjoy playing because of this one players irrational thinking. Even if this player did not create the game, I can not join.

My suggestion is change the effect of the for list in this such manner. (Player A is on player B's foe list).

- Player A wishes to join an 8 player game. Unfortunately, because player B is say, the 5 player to join the game, player A is not allowed to join the game. This situation is unfair to player A in such manner that player B did not start the game, it is not player B's settings, but player B is just a random opponent in the game but still prevents player A from joining.
- My suggestion is that player A should not be banned from all games that include player B. Player A should be banned from any game player B creates, but if player B joins a random game, than player A should be allowed as well.

I know the point of a foe list is to prevent a player one feels plays the game poorly from playing each other again. However, people have abused this system and in cases such as mine, prevent the abused player from joining a lot of games again. I feel I was wrongly foe'd but a clueless player but because of this, I can not join a lot of games I once played and played very fairly with no complants before. 15v7 is not suicide in my book but because some player did not like losing, I am not prevented from many games.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
- This will benefit the site because it will allow a lot of players to join many more games. If the person who foe'd player A see's this person in the game again, maybe they will see player A had a bad game or that there is nothing wrong with that player. But if player A is truly that bad, than others can foe him as well.
- Will not allow for players to abuse the foe list and basically give players control of what games some players can play. If someone on is on a foe list, they should only be prevented from playing in games created by the player who foe'd them.

[MOD EDIT: Some useful posts in this thread:

"Workarounds"/reasons it hasn't been done
A well-written, but identical suggestion

--agentcom]
Last edited by agentcom on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity, added links to posts
Sergeant ziggyy77

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: FOE LIST CHANGE

Postby phantomzero on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm

or you could just ask him nicely to remove you from his foe list?
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Medals: 81
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby ziggyy77 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:12 pm

The player thought i was suicidal when i had more than double his army and as much as i tried to explain it to him in game, he just went off on me and kept talking about how i am on his foe list.... Unfortunately, i doubt he will take me off his list because i ask nicely.
Sergeant ziggyy77

Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby ask me2 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 pm

So what? Make your own game with those settings.
Major ask me2

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby ziggyy77 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 pm

What if there is an 8 player game with 7 people already in... i should just create my own game and wait for who know's how long until people join my game? I should be able to join that alomst filled 8 player game even if i am on 1 person's foe list who might have been the 7th person to join.
Sergeant ziggyy77

Postby Evolution299 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 pm

I agree with Ziggyy here. Im on Great Ollies foe list, cause I attacked him in a 3 player Lux. map game, where if my dice would have even been average I would have eliminated him and won the game. Because I auto'd and my dice were horrible, I never got to eliminate him, just cripple him.
Ive asked to him to remove the foe ,but he doesnt respond. This eliminates me from alot of 8 player Doodle games that enjoy playing.
I think there has to be a better system to the foed list.
Sergeant 1st Class Evolution299

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:24 pm

ziggyy77 wrote:What if there is an 8 player game with 7 people already in... i should just create my own game and wait for who know's how long until people join my game?

Yes. Sorry, but the purpose of a foe list is to avoid playing with a certain player (or have to read their posts, but that's another story). He should be free to join games without worrying about one of his foes taking the 8th spot.
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby ziggyy77 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:29 pm

@drunkmonkey ... But that should be the risk of joining a game you don't start... a person should not have the power to prevent other players from joining big games like that, its unfair to someone like me or evolution... because 1 certain person disagreed with a single move in a game, we are prevented from joining other games that person joins? It should be regulated to the games that person starts not games created by other people
Sergeant ziggyy77

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:21 pm

ziggyy77 wrote:@drunkmonkey ... But that should be the risk of joining a game you don't start... a person should not have the power to prevent other players from joining big games like that, its unfair to someone like me or evolution... because 1 certain person disagreed with a single move in a game, we are prevented from joining other games that person joins? It should be regulated to the games that person starts not games created by other people

You act as if you only have 2 or 3 games to choose from. Make your own. Find opponents in the Callouts forum. Join tournaments. Join games early, before your foe gets there.

By choosing to only join games with 1 or 2 spots open, you're only limiting yourself. Sorry, but I can't find anything unfair here.
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (10)

Next

Return to Rejected Suggestions