Conquer Club

[Medal] Random Settings Medal

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Medal] Random Settings Medal

Postby sensfan on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:57 am

Concise description:

• A choice that will allow people to select not only a random map, but random settings also.

Specifics:
  • Add an option to the Start a Game panel where the game can be COMPLETELY random.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • In tournaments, organizers who host a random tourney and are in it cannot select their preferred settings as the "random" settings.
  • It makes more awesome randomness!!!

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516

I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan

Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair

Re: Random Settings

Postby sully800 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:18 am

Agreed! This is the ultimate tournament setting. 8-)

Even better would be an option to say "Random" for everything, but then if you select an option in addition that once becomes non-random. That way you could have random everything but you'll still know it's a 6 man team game, or you'll still know it's fog of war, or whatever. If you want a completely random game you just wouldn't select any setting besides Random
Major sully800

Re: Random Settings

Postby sensfan on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:44 pm

sully800 wrote:Agreed! This is the ultimate tournament setting. 8-)

Even better would be an option to say "Random" for everything, but then if you select an option in addition that once becomes non-random. That way you could have random everything but you'll still know it's a 6 man team game, or you'll still know it's fog of war, or whatever. If you want a completely random game you just wouldn't select any setting besides Random

yep. That sounds good. any other comments?

My TPA tournament, Chief Trio, is up. Join it now:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=159516

I cover the TPA Wrap for the CC Newsletter.
Cook sensfan

Location: In front of my computer sitting on a comfy computer chair

Random Settings and Medal

Postby Dr.House_25 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Concise description:
  • Make an option to play a game with Random Settings
  • Make a Random Settings Medal

Specifics/Details:
  • Make a bottom to play with Random Settings but this doesn`t include the Number of Players or the Round Lenght or the Map
  • Make a new medal awarded to members that defeated x unique opponents with Random Settings

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will benefit to CC by having more types of games
  • Also, the players will benefit by playing for having the new medal in his or her Medal Information

If you don`t like the idea say it and also why, if you do that`s all i need
Last edited by Dr.House_25 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Re: Random Settings and Medal

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:23 am

If the "play order" remains, then it's a failed option in my opinion. I want nothing to do with freestyle games, and there would be a significant chance (50-50) that it would wind up as one.

On the other hand, it might be interesting if you included the "game type" as an optionality...you'd not know if the game was going to be doubles, quads (both with random teammates) or terminator...that could be VERY interesting.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 am

Woodruff wrote:If the "play order" remains, then it's a failed option in my opinion. I want nothing to do with freestyle games, and there would be a significant chance (50-50) that it would wind up as one.

On the other hand, it might be interesting if you included the "game type" as an optionality...you'd not know if the game was going to be doubles, quads (both with random teammates) or terminator...that could be VERY interesting.

Maybe if you had the option to have option for each field? Like Random for spoils/FoW/Deployment, but Chained reinforcements, etc for everything else.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:If the "play order" remains, then it's a failed option in my opinion. I want nothing to do with freestyle games, and there would be a significant chance (50-50) that it would wind up as one.

Maybe if you had the option to have option for each field? Like Random for spoils/FoW/Deployment, but Chained reinforcements, etc for everything else.

If I understand what you're suggesting, have all of the setting choices look exactly as they do now except that EACH setting choice would additionally have "random" added to that setting choice as an option? I like it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 am

Woodruff wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

If I understand what you're suggesting, have all of the setting choices look exactly as they do now except that EACH setting choice would additionally have "random" added to that setting choice as an option? I like it.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Would allow users to pick certain things to be random, and not be afraid of getting a setting they dislike.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Dr.House_25 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 pm

yah would be interesting, but what happens if you make an 8 players game with random settings and it`s triples, how is that going to work?
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Dr.House_25 wrote:

yah would be interesting, but what happens if you make an 8 players game with random settings and it`s triples, how is that going to work?

Ah, good question! I guess that would have to be dependent on the number of players. For instance, a six-player game could have doubles, triples, assassin, terminator or standard but a five-player game could only have assassin, terminator or standard.

Postby Dr.House_25 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Dr.House_25 wrote:

Ah, good question! I guess that would have to be dependent on the number of players. For instance, a six-player game could have doubles, triples, assassin, terminator or standard but a five-player game could only have assassin, terminator or standard.

i guess that could be an interesting thing that can have the random settings, but it will have to have some rules like:

2 players: Game Type: standard
3 players:Game type:Standard, Terminator, Assasin
4 players: Game Type:Standard, Terminator,Assasin, Doubles
5 players: Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin
6 platers Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin, Doubles, Triples
7 players: Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin
8 players: Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin, Doubles, Quadruples

But then,the number of players, the Map and the Round lenght i think that they can`t be changed.
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby agentcom on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I'd just leave the team options out of the random settings. Team games are a different animal. Would you want to make an 8 player game knowing it could be quads or dubs? Would you invite the first 4 people just in case? If you made a bunch and invited your friends, would you all want to risk being accused of secret diplomacy when a bunch inevitably turn out to be standard singles games?

That said, I like the suggestion as it has been modified:

Game options would be as follows [with any changes in brackets]:

Number of Players: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [Random]
Game Type: Standard Terminator Assassin [Random among Std., Term, & Ass.] Doubles Triples Quadruples
Map: List of maps
Initial Troops: Automatic Manual [Random]
Play Order: Sequential Freestyle [Random]
Spoils: Escalating Flat Rate Nuclear No Spoils [Random]
Reinforcements: Chained Adjacent Unlimited [Random]
Fog of War: No Yes [Random]
Round Limit: None 20 Rounds 30 Rounds 50 Rounds 100 Rounds [Random]
Round Length: 24 Hours 5 Minutes 4 Minutes 3 Minutes 2 Minutes 1 Minute [Random] [Random Speed]

Personally, I don't really care about having the random option for Game Type, Round Limit, or Round Length, but some people might, so if these changes are being made, might as well add them.

I'm not sure how any medals for this would work though. I don't think CC wants to add potentially 10 new medals for each Random setting. But I'm also not sure whether one medal would work either. Would you get credit toward the medal for winning a game with just one random setting? Would all the settings have to be random? Or a certain number of settings?

In my head, I've also toyed around with the idea of having Random game settings where neither the creator or the players signing up can see the settings or the other players. But that's probably a separate suggestion.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Dr.House_25 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm

agentcom wrote:
Number of Players: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [Random]...

but what if you do a game for eight players and in the Random settings just say for two players? The others are going to be kicked out of the game? i think that the number of players shouldn`t be random.
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby agentcom on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Dr.House_25 wrote:
agentcom wrote:

but what if you do a game for eight players and in the Random settings just say for two players? The others are going to be kicked out of the game? i think that the number of players shouldn`t be random.

Good point. Game options should be:

Number of Players: No changes
Game Type: Standard Terminator Assassin [Random among Std., Term, & Ass.] Doubles Triples Quadruples
Map: No changes
Round Length: 24 Hours 5 Minutes 4 Minutes 3 Minutes 2 Minutes 1 Minute [Random] [Random Speed]
Colonel agentcom

Postby Dr.House_25 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:54 pm

agentcom wrote:
Dr.House_25 wrote:
agentcom wrote:

Good point. Game options should be:

Number of Players: No changes
Map: No changes

About the Round Length: what if someone not premium has a game with 2 minutes, free speed games for the lucky guys? i also think that the round length shouldn`t be random,
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Dr.House_25 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Dr.House_25 wrote:

i guess that could be an interesting thing that can have the random settings, but it will have to have some rules like:

2 players: Game Type: standard
3 players:Game type:Standard, Terminator, Assasin
4 players: Game Type:Standard, Terminator,Assasin, Doubles
5 players: Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin
6 platers Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin, Doubles, Triples
7 players: Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin
8 players: Game Type: Standard, Terminator, Assasin, Doubles, Quadruples

But then,the number of players, the Map and the Round lenght i think that they can`t be changed.

It would simply be that, in the order of which random thing is selected first, the "number of players" would have to be selected before the game type could be selected. That removes the conundrum.

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't think this is going to happen, if only for the very simple reason that either all settings are in or there wont be a medal. comparable to getting hive on random
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Dr.House_25 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 pm

SirSebstar wrote:I don't think this is going to happen, if only for the very simple reason that either all settings are in or there wont be a medal. comparable to getting hive on random

There`s no all the settings because it can`t be, i can`t open an 8 players game an the random system says 2 then 6 players will leave, also the round lenght : the no-premium people can`t have speed games so that wouln`t be possible, and the map , well that already exists and even has a medal( Random Map Achievement). But then all it`s fine.

Also why wouldn`t be a medal :?:

or i didn`t understand that part
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I agree with Sebstar. I don't think I am in favor of this much. A little too wacky for me. I do love medals though.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dr.House_25 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:01 pm

chapcrap wrote:I agree with Sebstar. I don't think I am in favor of this much. A little too wacky for me. I do love medals though.

If you`re not agree with the idea you just don`t go saying this idea is bad for me or too wacky for me, you said why, because with that the people know what`s bad in the idea and which part is good.
Anyway, I also love medals :D
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 pm

What I love:
    medals
    your avatar
    House M.D.
What I don't love:
    The various problems that this presents.
    I don't think there should be a different medals for each random.
    I don't think that there are enough options for Random to be warranted.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:37 pm

I love that the folks who have replied have pointed out significant problems with the random settings I didn't really care for in the first place. I do like the random being an option for spoils, forts, fog, initial troops, play order and maybe even game type (S,T, or A--not teams). I would support that definitely. Don't really care if you do round length, or round limits or # of players.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Dr.House_25 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 pm

thanks all you guys who have replied this idea even if soemone doesn`t like the idea, that says to me that the next time i come with a better idea.
Last edited by Dr.House_25 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant Dr.House_25

Postby Woodruff on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:36 pm

chapcrap wrote:I agree with Sebstar. I don't think I am in favor of this much. A little too wacky for me. I do love medals though.

See, I don't care about medals at all. But I like this suggestion (with of course MY additions to it). It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Woodruff wrote:

See, I don't care about medals at all. But I like this suggestion (with of course MY additions to it). It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

To clarify, I would not mind playing random settings. I just think that the setup would be too wacky; too difficult.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Next

Return to Suggestions