[GP/UI] Add neutral starting values to maps in Browse Maps

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Add neutral starting values to maps in Browse Maps area

Postby chipv on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am

BaldAdonis wrote:Right. On most of the maps it's well known which places are neutral (ie. the whole desert in Oasis, everything but castles in Age of Realms) but the actual number of armies varies from 1-75.

Ok, great idea, I don't see why not!

PS can you respond to the Assault Odds post for your suggestion, I'd like to proceed with it, thanks.
Colonel chipv

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)
General Contribution (10)

Postby BaldAdonis on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 am

Sure thing. I don't monitor threads, so if you need an answer in the future, PM me and I'll get back to it.
Lieutenant BaldAdonis

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (19) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby chipv on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 am

BaldAdonis wrote:Sure thing. I don't monitor threads, so if you need an answer in the future, PM me and I'll get back to it.

Ok, fair enough.
Colonel chipv

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 am

It's a good idea. I suspect that the browse maps image links directly to the playable map, so this would require that mapmakers create a neutral mock-up (using a format that we standardize) as well as a change to the links in the browse maps page.

A better idea would be to provide a link from the game page itself. Usually you want to know the neutral value because you're in the middle of a game, in the fog, so it'd be nice to bring up a clean map from your game. If we're going to require mapmakers to create a neutral mock-up and make some site changes, may as well provide the link from the place where it is most needed.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby scottp on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 pm

yes, that would be awesome!

(and chipv, I'm sorry I was unclear in the beginning. as you have deduced, it is indeed the SIZE of the neutral armies on each of the various neutral territories that I'm wondering about.)
Lieutenant scottp

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (12)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby sully800 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:54 pm

It would be nice if the mapmaker didn't need to create these images. I mean, the XML already exists and puts the neutral armies in the correct place in the game. Why can't a map be generated from the XML with no players armies on it? Then all images could be switched and updated automatically based on their XML. If the XML is ever updated the image would be updated as well.

I don't expect it to happen, but this is information I have always been wanting to see when playing new maps.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby neanderpaul14 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:15 pm

This is a great idea, I have played enough Oasis to know the neutral numbers on that one by heart, however on some maps that I haven't played 300+ games on this would be extremely helpful, I'm thinking of all the AoRs in particular.

Awesome Suggestion =D> =D> =D>

High score: 2724/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Private 1st Class neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson
Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (13)

Postby chipv on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm

sully800 wrote:It would be nice if the mapmaker didn't need to create these images. I mean, the XML already exists and puts the neutral armies in the correct place in the game. Why can't a map be generated from the XML with no players armies on it? Then all images could be switched and updated automatically based on their XML. If the XML is ever updated the image would be updated as well.

I don't expect it to happen, but this is information I have always been wanting to see when playing new maps.

How about modifying the Map Info Pages as suggested earlier?
All that needs to be done is convert the 88 on Starting Neutral Examples to the real number of assigned armies.

I do see your point, though, and this change boils down to the same thing, - read XML, show image, only plot neutrals.
Colonel chipv

Postby sully800 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 am

chipv wrote:
sully800 wrote:It would be nice if the mapmaker didn't need to create these images. I mean, the XML already exists and puts the neutral armies in the correct place in the game. Why can't a map be generated from the XML with no players armies on it? Then all images could be switched and updated automatically based on their XML. If the XML is ever updated the image would be updated as well.

How about modifying the Map Info Pages as suggested earlier?
All that needs to be done is convert the 88 on Starting Neutral Examples to the real number of assigned armies.

I do see your point, though, and this change boils down to the same thing, - read XML, show image, only plot neutrals.

heck, there wouldn't even be a problem with showing all the other armies! It might be helpful on maps that don't have army shadows because it would clearly show the possible starting positions for players.

I guess the problem would be maps that aren't evenly divisible by the # of players, because then you would get neutrals and you might think they were starting neutrals. :-s
Major sully800

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby scottp on Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 pm

this is an example of what I'm looking for:

Click image to enlarge.

I put the army values in manually, so they're not in the normal font or exact location as the "army bubbles" on the real map, but it does the job. Players on Oasis, Treasures of Galapagos, Ages of Realms, etc could really use this info.

Thanks!
Last edited by scottp on Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant scottp

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (12)

Postby scottp on Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm

lol, sorry that's so big! :oops: 8-[ :lol:
Lieutenant scottp

Postby sully800 on Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Edit the post and use [bigimg] instead of just [img]. It will make the picture smaller until someone clicks on it.
Major sully800

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 pm

And Barbarian 6 is a 10, not a 2
I am voting Republican now. The Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth -Monica Lewinski
Lieutenant Mr_Adams

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby scottp on Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:And Barbarian 6 is a 10, not a 2

lol, good catch! that's why we need this from "official" sources.
Lieutenant scottp

Postby wolfpack0530 on Sun May 24, 2009 6:24 pm

i remember the first time i tried to get the sanctuary on AoR in round 3, and saw 75!!!!!!!! I quickly realized at that moment that my strategy was flawed. :mrgreen:
Captain wolfpack0530

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (12) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (18)

Include default neutral values in map images

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Include the default neutral values on the map images in the following places:
  • The Map's page in the foundry
  • The map image accessible through Game lists, Game Finder and Start Game screens

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • More than once, I looked through the map foundry to find out how many neutrals I'd be facing if I made an attack in a foggy game. Unless you parse through the XML, this information most of the time is not there. Instead, I have to hope that there is a sunny game that hasn't progressed too far that I can find through Game Finder.
  • If you're thinking that this isn't really a big deal, go play an AoR game and see how many different neutral values there are for territories out there beyond the few you can see in a foggy game.
Colonel agentcom

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Include default neutral values in map images

Postby darth emperor on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm

also it helps, to know if the region adjacent to you has been assaulted
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby MichelSableheart on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Good suggestion. Note that having this information also would help new players on some maps, who are trying to read the log in a fog game to find out what's happening.
MichelSableheart,
Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Colonel MichelSableheart

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 pm

I support.
Major chapcrap

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 pm

i love this.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:14 am

Adding my support
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 90
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (10)

Postby pmchugh on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Totally agree, been thinking this for a while was just too lazy to make the topic.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) General Contribution (1)

Postby EagleofGreenErth on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:01 pm

pmchugh wrote:Totally agree, been thinking this for a while was just too lazy to make the topic.

ditto
Corporal 1st Class EagleofGreenErth

Medals: 101
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (29)

Postby agentcom on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 am

darth emperor wrote:also it helps, to know if the region adjacent to you has been assaulted

Didn't get what you were saying here at first, but great point.
Colonel agentcom

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (7)

Postby agentcom on Mon May 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for all the support guys! As it has been a month since the last comment, I figured I'd bump this.
Colonel agentcom

Next

Return to Submitted Suggestions