Like Button for posts.

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Like Button for posts.

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Add these to the smilies list.

If something like this must be done I believe this is the best option. ^

It works!
show
Sergeant DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:29 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!

and is against forum guidelines
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 am

greenoaks wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!

But if we are getting +1 posts already, then how would a smilie that does the job but with pretty graphics be any different? ;)

The one thing that this suggestion seems to have is that some players want it, some do not. But the ones that do cannot seem to agree on which is the best option. A like button, like/dislike buttons, rep points, etc. But all the while, we still get the +1 posts. A consensus needs to be found.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 am

there is no need to form a consensus on the best way to breach forum rules
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:42 am

greenoaks wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

It works!

I would argue this point. The rule is that spam is not permitted in any form. There is no particular rule against smilies. So, if +1 posts are allowed, +1 smilies are also allowed.

Now there is a specific rule that says you aren't allowed to quote something for support. It does say that QFT (+1) posts are not allowed, and it also says that a post with only smilies are not allowed. I don't think I have seen either of these rules enforced though. If you want to start reporting every post that says QFT or +1 be my guest, but I think that rule only exists if it becomes a problem.
Note that you in the same set of rules that doesn't allow QFT posts, it also doesn't allow you to post twice in a row. That only proves that these aren't rules as much as they are things to avoid. I have seen Andy post twice in a row in the Longest Thread, are you going to argue that he should be banned?
show
Sergeant DoomYoshi

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 pm

DoomYoshi wrote: I have seen Andy post twice in a row in the Longest Thread, are you going to argue that he should be banned?

Forget double posts, I've seen members triple and even quadruple post without objection.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby chapcrap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote: I have seen Andy post twice in a row in the Longest Thread, are you going to argue that he should be banned?

Forget double posts, I've seen members triple and even quadruple post without objection.

First offenses aren't worth getting banned for. ;)

Back on topic: why do you think that this is inherently bad?
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:15 pm

It supports polarization.

It is much easier to click like on a post that you like and click dislike on a post you don't like than to write a moderate post detailing the strengths and weaknesses of both positions. It encourages laziness, not only in posting but most importantly in thought.

Now, I realize that almost everywhere on the internet, the point is to toot people's horns for no reason at all. But we have an opportunity here to be a bastion of moderate comment. We have all the right players - crazy liberals, conservatives, libertarians, anarchists, etc. and they all post regularly enough to make discussions viable, dynamic and interesting. A like button destroys that.
show
Sergeant DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:35 pm

I disagree on how I would use a like button. If people are too lazy to have their voice heard by posting, then that is their own fault. I would not use a like button if I didn't agree with the post. I don't think you can presume to know that others would do what you have described.

I often see people browsing the forums without making any posts. If anything, I think this could give them more of a voice here since they actually are too lazy to post already.
Captain chapcrap

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby tj755 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:53 pm

‹Swifte› tj755 is, per the rules of the awesome-off, more awesome
Sergeant 1st Class tj755

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 pm

DoomYoshi wrote: It encourages laziness, not only in posting but most importantly in thought.

Bingo.
I like hearing the viewpoints of all players but I could care less who likes what because it requires close to zero independent thought and essentially adds nothing to a conversation. If anything it detracts since it artificially makes one side appear stronger/weaker without any actual further information.
"8 people like this post"? I can't think of a less informative contribution from a group of players.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby chapcrap on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:32 pm

One potential downside I see to this is people being able to edit posts that have been liked/disliked.
Captain chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

That's true ... ever notice how FB doesn't let you edit posts?
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:46 pm

chapcrap wrote:One potential downside I see to this is people being able to edit posts that have been liked/disliked.

Lolz, I hadn't thought of this...

I could write a post saying: "Chapcrap is an awesome guy and a pillar to the community!" Suddenly appears: "Chapcrap likes this post"
Ninja Edit: "Chapcrap is a doo-doo head". *audience laughs*

Very good point chapcrap. :D
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby agentcom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:"8 people like this post"? I can't think of a less informative contribution from a group of players.

We have a winner for best post in this thread. Everyone can go home now. Get this guy a medal.

Gotta be honest, I never thought about this in the same way that you guys are. You make good points. Definitely made me think about it.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Previous

Return to Suggestions