Okay, so per agentcom's list, I have broken down a few things that I feel are absolutely out of place in a fog game, and should be out for Dark of Night, and then a few more steps in a logical progression that I think we should be able to make a poll from.
First, what fog of war does currently is only the following, unless I am mistaken. Any time there is a terit in the log, outside of your own turn, it is changed to a "?". Also, it changes terits that you cannot see on the map to a "?" as well. Apart from that, I don't think it does anything. This to me has always seemed a bit strange, since that doesn't really match the nature of what fog of war is in my mind. Since I imagine I'm not going to get CC to change the default fog setting to something more drastic, I'm simply listing the things that don't make sense as things that absolutely should go (in no particular order)
1. Troop deployments, including autodeploy and autodecay-- These should be out, since the concept of fog of war would imply that you cannot see troop movements beyond your border. If I don't know where you put troops, how should I know you put 15 of them?
2. Troop reinforcements-- This is the same deal. It doesn't make sense that I should know how many troops you moved, if I have no idea where they moved to or from.
3. Killer Neutral Reversions-- If I never saw that you had a terit, it makes no sense that I would know you lost it again.
4. Spoil Bonuses from cashes, and/or troop placements from spoil cashes-- again, if I can't see that you hold a terit, it makes no sense that I should hear that you got two extra troops added to a terit somewhere. Also, the reinforcements you placed as a result of cashing the spoil would follow the same logic as normal deployment.
5. Attacks not involving you or a teammate-- This again seems odd to me; why should you know when I attack 3 of lackattack
's terits in a row, if you couldn't see his terits, or the terits from which I attacked?
6. Spoil cashes, generally-- Not to be confused with the bonus for terits you control, hearing that someone cashed spoils seems like it wouldn't be worldwide information.
7. Spoil counts-- If I didn't know you attacked a terit, I wouldn't know that you got a spoil, and so I wouldn't have a way to find out how many spoils you have at any given time.
8. Terit counts-- As with all the other points, if I don't know about your attacks that I can't see, it doesn't follow that I would know how many territories you have at any given time.
All of these things seem like they really ought not be in a Fog of War game, but are currently. Again, I'm not trying to change settings, but add a new (better) one. Here is what I think you should
be able to see in a game, if only these things were left out.
1. The map would look the same as the current setting, where you see all of your terits, plus terits you can attack/bombard, with troop counts and player color for each of those terits
2. In an escalating spoils game, when you have a set, you would know how many it would be worth to cash (you would then know how many times sets have been cashed, but not by whom
3. The log would display only the following information-- Turn beginnings, turn endings, attacks ON YOU, and all of the activity in your own turn. It would not, for example, simply put question marks in place of names, terits, and numbers, as is the current way to alter the log. Player eliminations would be visible only in the elimination log (they do not need to also be in the chat).
4. The Information box would contain question marks for everyone but yourself and team members, in every position, hiding terits, troops, spoils, troops due, etc. It would still cross out dead players.
5. Game chat would be unchanged. People are free to provide whatever information they feel necessary, true or not.
I'll post again on the options that go further than this, but this is what I initially imagined with this suggestion.