well it is exactly what is sounds like; similar to fog of war, where nonadjacent terries are unknown to the player. instead, the player name, rank, feedback, and any other information that could give away his or her identity is hidden. every player would simply be known as a color, such as pink, red, etc. (specifics would have to be worked out to deal with those epic teal vs. cyan debates). like FOW game, anonymity would be lifted at the end of the game and the identities of the players revealed.
This will improve the following aspects of the site:
- this idea was actually inspired by this thread.http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49668&start=15. it was noticed that in some games, especially terminator games, high-ranked players were specifically preyed upon because of the high reward for eliminating them. hiding the identities of the players makes everyone an even target
- this could also be an interesting add-on for non-terminator games, potentially changing gameplay. if for nothing else, it's just "something new" and could change diplomacy and they way people plan and execute their strategies in a given game
- could decrease high vs low-rank disparity in team games; you never know if you'll be on a team with the conquerer or a coupla cooks-or both
- as tim says below, it would also prevent higher ranked players from specifically targeting lower ranked player in order to minimize their point losses in standard games
- as bob points out, this could also be useful as an option in tourneys with multiple clans in them, to avoid ganging up on whichever clan happens to be winning (conversly, ganging up could be encouraged simply by not including FOP)
p.s. i will from now on use "FOP" in my posts to represent this idea, at least until something more clever comes up
Problems and Solutions:
- it would be conceivably possible to ascertain a person rank by how many points he/she gets when eliminating another player solutions: do not reward points until the end of the game, or keep the points gained hidden from all except the player who gets them
- even though it wouldn't necessarily be easier or harder to cheat in a FOP game, it might be harder for other casual players to spot people who do cheat solutions: ????
Game is joined, starts and is played anonymously. The only time you find out who you were playing against is after the game is over
-Players would be listed as Player1, Player2, Player3, etc., respective to when they joined.
-There would be no way to tell which player was which until the game was completely over.
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
Would be a fun way to play a game with a group of players and no one would know rank/identity so there would be no prejudice during the game against higher ranked players, people you don't like, new recruits, friends etc..
I feel this would add an extra element to games in that you could not assume anything about any of the other players since it would be completely anonymous. I'm sure there are holes in this idea since I haven't tried to find any and just thought of it but I feel it is at least worth investigating?