Activate Button for Fog games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: fog.courtesy.waiting.option

Postby Vid_FISO on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

The auto-snap idea is better, no reason then to wait and potentially risk missing your own move as does happen when life/ internet connection get in the way/ let you down.
Major Vid_FISO

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Option to enforce 12h fog rule

Postby Finsfleet on Fri May 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Concise description:
  • In fog games game creator should have an option to enforce 12h fog rule. When game starts, the one who starts first wouldn`t be able to start her or his move for 12 hours

Specifics/Details:
  • These 12 hours would not count to the first player`s 24. Meaning, the clock would start ticking from 24h to down after those 12h.
  • Opposing players should have "snap taken" button, which would end the waiting and start the 24h clock for the first player.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • I always get mad when opposing team starts the game immediately. I`m also often the one to forget to wait 12h from time to time.
Last edited by Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Major Finsfleet

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Enforce 12h fog rule

Postby Qwert on Fri May 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Finsfleet wrote:Concise description:
  • In fog games game creator should have an option to enforce 12h fog rule. When game starts, the one who starts first wouldn`t be able to start her or his move for 12 hours

• I always get mad when opposing team starts the game immediately. I`m also often the one to forget to wait 12h from time to time.

you mean in games where bout team agree on fog rule?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby jghost7 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Would that allow 12 hrs or 36 hours for the first turn? I think you have to give the 24 hours to play the turn, and if you force lock a game for 12 hours, then the 24 hr timer should begin after the lock ends.
Major jghost7

Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6) Training Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Finsfleet on Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 pm

qwert wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:Concise description:

you mean in games where bout team agree on fog rule?

I`d say that you agree to the terms of the game as soon as you join it.
Major Finsfleet

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Finsfleet on Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 pm

jghost7 wrote:Would that allow 12 hrs or 36 hours for the first turn? I think you have to give the 24 hours to play the turn, and if you force lock a game for 12 hours, then the 24 hr timer should begin after the lock ends.

Good point. I`ll edit the description.
Major Finsfleet

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri May 10, 2013 7:39 pm

I see a limited number of users actually using this.

However, there are more users that use an unofficial version of this than there are that used an unofficial version of Trench, and that got implemented. However, that was a radical change in gameplay, whereas this is more of a tune-up.

I would want some programmer input on how long this would take to implement. I imagine it would be fairly easy, but I have been wrong before.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby Gilligan on Fri May 10, 2013 9:38 pm

jghost7 wrote:Would that allow 12 hrs or 36 hours for the first turn? I think you have to give the 24 hours to play the turn, and if you force lock a game for 12 hours, then the 24 hr timer should begin after the lock ends.

+1. If there's a 12 hour forced wait, you must have 24 hours after that to take a turn. I know a few people in my clan who only log on once or twice a day, and would not be able to take their turn if left with only 12 possible hours.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 190
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (3)

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 2:37 am

DoomYoshi wrote:I would want some programmer input on how long this would take to implement. I imagine it would be fairly easy, but I have been wrong before.

Estimation is the most difficult part of developers job and it is almost never accurate. You can only predict order of magnitude, not an actual time. It is difficult enough when you are working on the site, without looking at the code it is impossible to say anything.

I see a limited number of users actually using this

However, there are more users that use an unofficial version of this than there are that used an unofficial version of Trench, and that got implemented. However, that was a radical change in gameplay, whereas this is more of a tune-up.

I don`t see it that way. 12h fog rule is now almost a regular rule in tournament and clan games, whether in casual or strict ways. And it is usually casual for two reasons: because people forget (like I do) and because people don't have time to wait (like Gillian and jghost7 pointed out).
Major Finsfleet

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 11, 2013 3:09 am

stupid idea.

a better one would be a snap is taken when a game commences. play is not delayed and it is available for everyone, even those without bob.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 3:18 am

greenoaks wrote:a better one would be a snap is taken when a game commences. play is not delayed and it is available for everyone, even those without bob.

Yes. But I don't see a way to implement it, other than having Bob as a part of CC, not a plugin, and I don't see it happening. And developing snapshot functionality from the beginning would be pointless.
Major Finsfleet

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 am

Finsfleet wrote:
greenoaks wrote:a better one would be a snap is taken when a game commences. play is not delayed and it is available for everyone, even those without bob.

Yes. But I don't see a way to implement it, other than having Bob as a part of CC, not a plugin, and I don't see it happening. And developing snapshot functionality from the beginning would be pointless.

both would require development but yours is for a very limited group so not going to happen
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 am

greenoaks wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:

both would require development but yours is for a very limited group so not going to happen

Like I said and explained before, I don't think it's here for a limited group.

I`m all for incorporating Bob into CC, this is a great tool. However, why wasn't this done before? I think that 90%+ users of CC that are on the site for more than 6 months (I don't have the stats, just guessing) use it. So if there is a chance of having it as a part of CC, why wasn't this done before?
Major Finsfleet

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Finsfleet wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I would want some programmer input on how long this would take to implement. I imagine it would be fairly easy, but I have been wrong before.

Estimation is the most difficult part of developers job and it is almost never accurate. You can only predict order of magnitude, not an actual time. It is difficult enough when you are working on the site, without looking at the code it is impossible to say anything.

I don`t see it that way. 12h fog rule is now almost a regular rule in tournament and clan games, whether in casual or strict ways. And it is usually casual for two reasons: because people forget (like I do) and because people don't have time to wait (like Gillian and jghost7 pointed out).

I would never join a tournament with 12h fog rule on principle and my clan does 3/4 of wars without the rule, so I guess it depends on perspective.

I like greenoaks idea much better actually.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi

Medals: 70
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby Finsfleet on Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:

I would never join a tournament with 12h fog rule on principle and my clan does 3/4 of wars without the rule, so I guess it depends on perspective.

I like greenoaks idea much better actually.

I like it better as well, like I said, but I don't think it will ever happen. This might.

Why don't you like the rule, by the way? Just curious.
Major Finsfleet

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions