Colorblind assist

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Colorblind assist

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 am

rishaed wrote:Wouldn't that make it harder to differentiate between your teamate and your enemy? Red/green look the same . . . for 1v1s it would be helpful, but for 8 player quads, I think that it would make it more difficult. You also have more time in 8 player games normally so color codes might be in order there.

It would, I tested this with the 888s on the maps. Some surprising things and some really bad things.

The troubled areas that I noticed are not just red/green but:
Protanopia - Pink & Blue
Deuteranopia - Pink, Cyan & Blue, Red & Green
Tritanopia - Red & Pink, Orange & Yellow

So depending on what type of colour blindness you have and how bad you have it, these are the main areas of problems. Not as I though at first just red and green.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby eggrollonedolla on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 am

rishaed wrote:Wouldn't that make it harder to differentiate between your teamate and your enemy? Red/green look the same . . . for 1v1s it would be helpful, but for 8 player quads, I think that it would make it more difficult. You also have more time in 8 player games normally so color codes might be in order there.

people would have to learn the colors on each side to make sure they dont attack a teammate. obv that would be a learning curve to battle through.
Captain eggrollonedolla

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (13)

Postby rishaed on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 pm

eggrollonedolla wrote:

people would have to learn the colors on each side to make sure they dont attack a teammate. obv that would be a learning curve to battle through.

People could say that about about the current system as well. I suggest to find the best possible solution for this, not only something to help those that are colorblind, but also to keep appeal to those who aren't. Koontz thats very helpful =D> =D> . Another suggestion that I might have would be to have the numbers layered, as in outline in red, inner white. Outline in white, inner green? It would have the colors remain the same, but colorblind people would be able to differenciate based on how different each outline/inner is. I don't know how difficult this would be for coding, but it might be a step in the right direction. :mrgreen:
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (4)

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 pm

If you have BoB enabled, you can locate a player's regions by hovering over their username.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby rishaed on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

True, but not all people use BoB, and not everyone likes it. You should not have to use BoB to recognize where starting positions are if you are colorblind.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (4)

Postby agentcom on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am

eggrollonedolla wrote:
So im thinking this order...

blue-yellow 2 players (B/Y)
blue-yellow-red-cyan 4 players (B/Y vs R/C)
blue-yellow-red-cyan-orange-silver 6 players (B/Y/O vs R/C/S)
blue-yellow-red-cyan-orange-silver-pink-green 8 players (B/Y/O/G vs R/C/S/P)

anyone else that can find a list please feel free.

At first, I was thinking that you should keep the "order" of the colors the same as the existing set-up. By that I mean that the first 3 colors to come into play would be the three players on a trips game Team 1. But now that I think about it ... having each color come in and "join" a set team would actually be pretty nice. You would know that B/Y/O/G are always Team 1 if they are present. Same for R/C/S/P.

As I said before, I don't know enough about colorblindness to know if this set-up would help this problem, but it would be nice not having to figure out which team yellow (for example) is on in every game I'm in.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Return to Suggestions