Conquer Club

[GP] Additional window to take turn

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GP] Additional window to take turn

Postby adamator on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Additional window to take turn for sabbath observers/extenuating circumstances:

Specifics/Details:
Some players observe the sabbath which means that they can't get online weekly from Friday night until Saturday night, which is about a 26 hour period. One can usually time turns so as not to miss but every once in a while it is impossible to avoid.

I am proposing an option to occasionally set a slightly longer window for a player to take a turn in the 24-hour games. This could be implemented in a way that avoids abuse by only letting players utilize the option once a week, or giving a certain number of "grace hours" per month/per game.

This would be useful not only for sabbath observers like myself, but anyone who occasionally is unable to get to their computer for extenuating circumstances. By limiting frequency and the additional window, it will only add a minor, occasional inconvenience to other players. In addition, anyone who will need to be away from their computer for more than a day won't feel compelled to wait until the last minute to take their turns, so this will actually encourage faster game play in many situations.

I realize this is a bit of an unusual request, but I really appreciate your consideration.
Colonel adamator

Re: Additional window to take turn

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Here are two past suggestions that would indirectly solve this problem:

viewtopic.php?f=471&t=153613
viewtopic.php?f=471&t=101764

The main hesitation people have with longer turns on weekends is the time zone problem. That is, if we defined the window to be available for Friday night to Saturday night CC time (this would at least make some sense for the United States, as most of the Jewish population lives on our East Coast) then we are hurting people in other time zones (for example, you in Israel).

As a result, people seemed to have more support for something like having bankable hours to use for situations like this (like your "grace hours" idea). I think that is the best avenue to take if you want to see this happen.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby greenoaks on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:58 pm

you have 24 hours to take your turn.

if you do not, the world will not end.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby agentcom on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 pm

I don't personally like any of these types of suggestions. I would rather that people who cannot commit to being able to take a turn every day be able to start and join games with a 36, 48 or 72 hour time limit. A 36 hour limit would allow you to take a turn at 10 pm and not have to worry about more turns being due until 10 am the day after next.

viewtopic.php?f=535&t=161125

I would love to see CC phase in a 36 hr turn limit to try it out and see if people would like longer options still.
Colonel agentcom

Postby adamator on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks Max. I had in mind something like the bankable hours option--which would be at the players' initiative, to be used with discretion when necessary and with limits to avoid abuse. Even the fixed-time slot with relaxed hours could work--just extend the window on the front end by a few hours to catch people in all time zones.

However, it doesn't matter so much to me what the form of the fix is, but I believe it's a legitimate concern for a lot of people, whether for religious or lifestyle reasons. It would improve gameplay for everyone because when someone misses a turn it can badly upset the balance for all players and really ruin a game.

What's the procedure for actually getting something implemented?

Metsfanmax wrote:Here are two past suggestions that would indirectly solve this problem:

viewtopic.php?f=471&t=153613
viewtopic.php?f=471&t=101764

The main hesitation people have with longer turns on weekends is the time zone problem. That is, if we defined the window to be available for Friday night to Saturday night CC time (this would at least make some sense for the United States, as most of the Jewish population lives on our East Coast) then we are hurting people in other time zones (for example, you in Israel).

As a result, people seemed to have more support for something like having bankable hours to use for situations like this (like your "grace hours" idea). I think that is the best avenue to take if you want to see this happen.
Colonel adamator

Postby greenoaks on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:50 am

and after this gets implemented someone will say they are unable to take their turn for ???? reason and request another delay/extension be implemented to cater for them.

it will never end.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:10 am

adamator wrote:What's the procedure for actually getting something implemented?

This is the sort of suggestion that could be implemented only with a large show of community support. Suggestions that affect all players generally require support of a diverse assortment of players from the community so that we can get proper input on how this would affect everyone. If you want to see this implemented, you should get friends and others to look at the thread and make comments, because I wouldn't feel comfortable putting this through unless significantly more than 50% of people want it.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:09 pm

This is unlikely to happen. If we start down this path, flash forward 10 000 years. People will be complaining that one lifetime is not long enough for them to take a turn, and we should extend the deadline for those who are still waiting to be reincarnated.

I would support the 1,2,5,7 day turn length option though.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby agentcom on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:25 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:This is unlikely to happen. If we start down this path, flash forward 10 000 years. People will be complaining that one lifetime is not long enough for them to take a turn, and we should extend the deadline for those who are still waiting to be reincarnated.

I would support the 1,2,5,7 day turn length option though.

The old camel's nose ...

I don't really think we have to worry about turns taking a lifetime though Doom ;)
Colonel agentcom

Return to Suggestions