Conquer Club

[PC] Anonymous Ratings System

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[PC] Anonymous Ratings System

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Concise description:

Ratings for opponents will from now on be anonymous.

Specifics/Details:

Instead of players knowing who rated them what, the ratings system will now be anonymous.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

The current ratings system doesn't work because everyone is afraid of ratings revenge, etc. This new ratings system would encourage players to rate others the way they ought to with no risk of retaliation/hard feelings towards the rater. Also friends never give each other bad ratings when they probably should. This system would, I think, lead to a more accurate idea of how your opponent was going to play.
The only downside I can see to this is ratings abuse would be very hard to track but I think it would be a decent trade-off since many argue that the ratings system is useless as it is now anyway.
Last edited by Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re: Anonymous Ratings System

Postby chapcrap on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:02 am

This is truly a good idea.

Although, a person wouldn't understand why they received the rating they got if they didn't know where it came from.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am

Would abuse of the system be more or less prevalent with this? If you do not know where the 1,1,1 came from, players may be more inclined to do it out of spite than any real relevance for the game.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:05 am

You might not know if it was disputable either. There was one or two times I got bad ratings with tag lines suggesting weird reasons after I co-incidentally trolled the guy in chat.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 am

But if you know your name is going with the rating, it keeps you honest. With no name, players will become more spiteful. This is a bad idea.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:28 pm

koontz1973 wrote:But if you know your name is going with the rating, it keeps you honest. With no name, players will become more spiteful. This is a bad idea.

The thing is, is it really good revenge if your opponent doesn't even know who did it? I don't think so. If the ratings system actually worked as it is, I would not have suggested this idea.
I think that any abuse that might come with this change would be worth the trade-off in that it would be a better reflection of players' tendencies.
The thing is that any abuse would be taken for a grain of salt with this change. If you saw a player had for the most part good ratings and a few oddball 1-star ratings you could just chalk these off as sore losers. I believe that most players are good sports and would rate honestly, drowning out any abusive ratings. If a player had consistently low ratings in something you could probably trust that it was accurate.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:05 pm

The problem is that Conquer Club is supposed to be a "nice" community as opposed to the old-school "mean" communities of Internets past. Anonymity allows more players to be assholes and breaks the atmosphere lack and andy were trying to make in the community here.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:47 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:The problem is that Conquer Club is supposed to be a "nice" community as opposed to the old-school "mean" communities of Internets past.

I think this is a nice dream as well but how would this change affect the "niceness" of the community? It is what it is, right?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:The problem is that Conquer Club is supposed to be a "nice" community as opposed to the old-school "mean" communities of Internets past.

I think this is a nice dream as well but how would this change affect the "niceness" of the community? It is what it is, right?

Greater anonymity means less niceness.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Return to Suggestions