[GP/UI] Random Team Games

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Random Team Option

Yes
86%
No
7%
Neutral
7%

Total votes : 56

Re: Random teammate/"Shuffle" teammate games

Postby darkabe on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:56 pm

This is exactly what I wanted to suggest.

It is almost impossible to find a enjoyable teams game because all have first teams full of high rank players nobody dares to challenge. And if someone does few cooks jump in and its over before it begun.

Shuffling players randomly or evenly would make team games fun again and everyone could join them.

Devs, save the team games!
:idea:
Captain darkabe

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:06 pm

I say a very loud NO to this.

If a team has become very good at the game, they deserve to be very good with the game. I have played my share of team games, and I will say that some teams work, some teams do not.

I do not want to join a team game with a cook that does not know how to reinforce, or has to advance troops to every territory they conquer (I have seen this very case happen). I would much rather play with someone I know, so the only people who would actually use this would be the people who can't find themselves some good partners in the first place.

The people who can find themselves partners (and are the high ranks of which you say make the game uneven) would never use this. Why would they want to go around playing with people who might have 50% turn rates and never read the chat?

Okay, so this only affects the people that can't find themselves a decent team. Now, what difference does this give to you whether you join a game with random people in it or join a game with random people then have the order made random for you?

Also, this is not even an issue. If you had not noticed, many of the high ranks have been recently starting doubles and triples games without partners, so that a lower rank will join and they win less points. This is happening more and more lately, so the suggestion is not necessary.

P.S. Shouldn't the game be uneven toward the better players? I personally think so. Otherwise, we might just as well have our games determined by a random number generator which outputs 0's and 1's. 1: you win the game, 0: you lose
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby Thezzaruz on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 am

The Neon Peon wrote:Okay, so this only affects the people that can't find themselves a decent team.

Not really. It would make people that haven't got set team mates play against others in the same situation. I would see it as a good way to start out playing team games but I'd expect anyone that likes the team format to "progress" into playing with a set team v other set teams once they get the hang of it/find people they play well with.

The Neon Peon wrote:P.S. Shouldn't the game be uneven toward the better players? I personally think so. Otherwise, we might just as well have our games determined by a random number generator which outputs 0's and 1's. 1: you win the game, 0: you lose

No no no. Better players should have their skill as an advantage. The rules shouldn't be fixed in their favour too.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 am

The Neon Peon wrote:I say a very loud NO to this.

If a team has become very good at the game, they deserve to be very good with the game. I have played my share of team games, and I will say that some teams work, some teams do not.

This would be an option. There is nothing to prevent those who like the current structure from playing. But, there are a lot of people in CC just don't have a set team for a lot of reasons.

Also, even some of those who DO have a "set" team may occasionally want to try playing a game with some others.
The people who can find themselves partners (and are the high ranks of which you say make the game uneven) would never use this. Why would they want to go around playing with people who might have 50% turn rates and never read the chat?

Now you are stereotyping. I don't consider myself "conquerer" material, but if I am teamed with someone better, I definitely listen!

Okay, so this only affects the people that can't find themselves a decent team. Now, what difference does this give to you whether you join a game with random people in it or join a game with random people then have the order made random for you?

Because right now, there just is no such thing as a "random" team. Try doing a search on team games waiting for players. You see the same groups with their set teams dominating. Very few games are actually open to those without a per-set team.

Also, this is not even an issue. If you had not noticed, many of the high ranks have been recently starting doubles and triples games without partners, so that a lower rank will join and they win less points. This is happening more and more lately, so the suggestion is not necessary.

I have not seen this. Also, I am "gunshy" of games begun by a high ranker because too often I can join ... only to find myself facing a "set up" team. If this were true, then I should get a mixture when I start a game. Instead, I find myself facing a group that obviously know each other and play together.

Again, that is fine ... if you have a team. But, it is hard to "break in", hard to develop those teams and the team skills right now. If anything, this would open up more chances for people to gain team experience and then end up creating more "set" teams. (a "training ground", if you will)

P.S. Shouldn't the game be uneven toward the better players? I personally think so. Otherwise, we might just as well have our games determined by a random number generator which outputs 0's and 1's. 1: you win the game, 0: you lose

The "randomizing" I put up there could use work. I just made a stab at it. If you have a better way ... speak up!
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:57 pm

This suggestion has gained my support. Wow, first in about a month...

You could add a less farming advantage to the site. If people can play on random teams, they will rather play those team games then the non-random ones against high ranks. (unless they are those people who go around joining games like that on purpose to try to beat the high ranks anyway)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby Natewolfman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:08 pm

am interesting idea (im always in favor of new game settings)... but i dont see it going through unfortunately... but one thing you could always do is join/create a tournament with that purpose, ive played in at least 3 tournaments that was random teams (players join and are randomly sorted into teams each round)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (1)

Randomize team partners option

Postby tyler197802198 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 am

Team games are broken:
  • There are 17 pages of rigged team games waiting for newbs to join them and give away free points when a teammate of theirs skips turns or plays a less-than-perfect game.
  • High ranked players play team games, but ONLY WITH OTHER ELITE PLAYERS.

Suggestion:
  • Create a game option that would randomize teams on team games.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
    • People will win games based on how well then can work with ANY team, not just stacked ones.
    • It will reduce the pages of team games that clog up the game finder for people who want to find a fun game.
Last edited by tyler197802198 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain tyler197802198

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Re: Randomize team partners, please!

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:12 am

I don't think that teams should be randomized in all games, but I do think it would be a good option. I know it'd be interesting, I'd try it.
12:39:59 AM rdsrds2120: sorry, I had a lot of lasagna tonight
12:40:06 AM rdsrds2120: I'm pretty out of it. CRAAZZYYY NIGHT
12:31:04 * Metsfanmax quit (kicked from Social by Metsfanmax - reason: haha gotcha now)
12:59:32 * #1_stunna gropes blakebowling
Private blakebowling
Administrator
Administrator

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Postby saraith on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:21 am

blakebowling wrote:I don't think that teams should be randomized in all games, but I do think it would be a good option. I know it'd be interesting, I'd try it.

Agreed, it would certainly be a good option, but just an option. Given that option, though, I would use it almost exclusively in creating team games.
To achieve balance, first you must grow.
To grow, first you must learn.
To learn, first you must listen.
To listen, first you must shut the hell up.
-Buddhist saying
Corporal 1st Class saraith

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:22 am

Then the higher ranked players end up with the same people skipping turns in your games? I think not.

We play with other similar ranked players because we know them to be decent at playing, not to pray on lower ranked players. I play with them because I know they know the maps and won't miss turns.

If a higher ranked team joins against me even better, because it will be a better game. I say find yourself some players who won't db and know some maps, or learn them with some people.
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Re: keep my same team partners, please!

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 am

sorry, horrible idea. i play mostly team games with real life friends, that i know i can communicate with if there is a question of strategy, and i know that they can cover my turns if i go out of town or will be on location unable to take turns for a day or two. no way i am going to play team games with people i don't know. good teams take a long time to develop, and i shouldn't be penalized for taking the time to learn how to be better partner to the people i play with... the black jesus has spoken...-0
DoomYoshi, "GD has no traffic because of venereal diseases like you."
Lieutenant owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby gundiesalvo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 am

lgoasklucyl wrote:We play with other similar ranked players because we know them to be decent at playing, not to pray on lower ranked players. I play with them because I know they know the maps and won't miss turns.

Completely agree there. The reason you see the same team making several games is not because they want to prey on low ranked people, those who do JOIN the low rank created team game.

I started playing team games with most of the people I still play team games now, back then most of us were Corporals, so if we found good team mates that we know we can communicate well and play a good game, why shouldn't we be able to keep playing with them?

As an option it would be good tho, and I would probably use it every now and then.
Corporal 1st Class gundiesalvo

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1)

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 am

I agree it may prove an interesting option- giving people new players to potentially team with without going through callouts. Those ballsey enough to click 'random teammates' that is :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Kotaro on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Rigged teams? Kind of like the rigged dice?

Instead of complaining that they're too good, get better at the game, get your friends better at the game, and go through and farm them.
Highest Rank = 2048Image
Kotaro Fuma, The Terror of Death
Private Kotaro

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby tyler197802198 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier - I realize people want "good players" on their teams, and I realize how awesome it is to play with people who "know the maps". I used to rig my teams, too. They are usually easy wins. I have also challenged rigged teams, and have done decently with that, too. There is no point in telling me you like playing with good players or that stacked teams are still beatable.

This idea would only apply to PUBLIC games - if you want to set up a team with some RW friends or rig a team, that is what PRIVATE games are for, as well as tourneys.

I like the option but not requirement idea. If randomized teams was made an option, that would take care of the 17-pages-of-team-games problem, too, because you could sort your search.
Captain tyler197802198

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby hecter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:14 pm

If this were an option I'd get into team games again... I played them a bunch when I first joined but had to stop because I didn't want to play with the same team over and over, but I also didn't want to get my ass kicked over and over by people who have their own team and such.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby owenshooter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:42 pm

hecter wrote:If this were an option I'd get into team games again... I played them a bunch when I first joined but had to stop because I didn't want to play with the same team over and over, but I also didn't want to get my ass kicked over and over by people who have their own team and such.

oh... you weren't on a good team, and instead of getting better, by playing over and over together, you simply blame the teams that were better for your less than stellar team career? um, ok... the black jesus is perplexed...-0

p.s.-there is nothing "rigged" about setting up a public game that anyone can join.
DoomYoshi, "GD has no traffic because of venereal diseases like you."
Lieutenant owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby para on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:16 pm

how bout this

public games with purposeful teams must be joined as teams

if someone who has a team wants to join a game, when they join, it will have the player enter what who they're teamates are so they can join. their teammates recieve notification for the games they're teammates have signed up for and then they can then finish(or continue if they are not the last of a triple or quad) the joining process as long as another team hasnt beaten them to it.

the only flaw i see with it is that freemiums who cant afford to sign up for alot of games and have to wait on there teammates might never get into thier games. this could be fixed however by them being allowed to start the joining process for many several games as long as the the number of games they finished joining didnt go over there alloted amount. (there teammates dont have to join all the games that they given the opportunity for)

this is beneficial for players who both care and dont care who they're teammates are. the competitive high ranks will now be able to more easily challenge themselves without having to seek people out(if they dont want to) and players who dont have a team but still like team games can get a better experience with random teams.
Corporal para

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby tubaman on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 pm

You know the suggestion is bad if it says please in the title of the thread...

p.s.-there is nothing "rigged" about setting up a public game that anyone can join.

Thank you!
Captain tubaman

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:51 pm

If they were randomized in all games, then that would be horrible. Why should I have to play with some player who does not know how to play and has a 50% turn ratio than with my friends? Most of the time, people want to play with people they know.

If this were optional, then you lose all solvency. The games for farming would still be up there, what is stopping them? Someone will still join.

Good as an option, I like it. But just letting you know that there is no solvency for farming.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby hecter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 pm

owenshooter wrote:
hecter wrote:If this were an option I'd get into team games again... I played them a bunch when I first joined but had to stop because I didn't want to play with the same team over and over, but I also didn't want to get my ass kicked over and over by people who have their own team and such.

oh... you weren't on a good team, and instead of getting better, by playing over and over together, you simply blame the teams that were better for your less than stellar team career? um, ok... the black jesus is perplexed...-0

I explained quite clearly what I meant. I wasn't on a "good team" because I was never on the same team, which is the way I like it. I didn't blame anybody, I just didn't like the way the current system was, so I stopped using it. It's pretty simple, actually...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby laci_mae on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 am

para wrote:how bout this

public games with purposeful teams must be joined as teams

if someone who has a team wants to join a game, when they join, it will have the player enter what who they're teamates are so they can join. their teammates recieve notification for the games they're teammates have signed up for and then they can then finish(or continue if they are not the last of a triple or quad) the joining process as long as another team hasnt beaten them to it.

the only flaw i see with it is that freemiums who cant afford to sign up for alot of games and have to wait on there teammates might never get into thier games. this could be fixed however by them being allowed to start the joining process for many several games as long as the the number of games they finished joining didnt go over there alloted amount. (there teammates dont have to join all the games that they given the opportunity for)

this is beneficial for players who both care and dont care who they're teammates are. the competitive high ranks will now be able to more easily challenge themselves without having to seek people out(if they dont want to) and players who dont have a team but still like team games can get a better experience with random teams.

I really like something along the lines of this idea. =D>

I am a mid-level player who has friends much higher ranked. I could pull them into team games, but we typically just stick to tourneys b/c joining public games is too risky. If I wanted to play one of these team games that's already top-loaded with high-powered players, I would risk some or all of my cohort not getting their "please join" messages before some random ppl jumped in. An option that allowed an individual to take on all the spots of a team (for a limited time) would be very welcome.
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby RADAGA on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 am

I joined by mistake 2 team games (by forgetting to check the "Standard, terminator" boxes, due to the new gamefinder layout.

Both of them have high level paying members as the top team, and at the most cadets in the lower end team. I guess either the more favored players do not join just arrangement, or they get kicked by the game author, until they have a perfectly balanced colonel vs cooks game

I am banging my head on the wall for having to stick with those 2 games.
Private 1st Class RADAGA

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Jeff Hardy on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 am

i like the original idea but it would have to be an option

why stop friends playing on the same team just because they are better than you and your mates? if they wanted to team up with you they would ask

if it were an option however people could set up games in the hope to learn new players without getting pwned by a good team that know each other
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Artimis on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 am

I have a couple of players that I like to team up with, this would make a useful option for those who want more excitement in their games, but only as an option and not a replacement of the current team arrangements in team games.
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Submitted Suggestions