Staggered Gameplay

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Global Moderators, Suggestions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby skychaser on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:34 am

Yep. If it's 20 turns based one can't play 21 turns. When his allowed turns are over, then they are over.

But it makes a slight changing. If someone can do more than one turn and everyone else has already played all of their turns then he can play all of his turns straight.

Later I will gather the options people displayed about double turns.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby greenoaks on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 am

skychaser wrote:Yep. If it's 20 turns based one can't play 21 turns. When his allowed turns are over, then they are over.

But it makes a slight changing. If someone can do more than one turn and everyone else has already played all of their turns then he can play all of his turns straight.

Later I will gather the options people displayed about double turns.

which is why i said a rolling turn. you can't move more than 1 move ahead of anyone else.

Staggered may allow you to take your turn 6 hours into the previous players turn, (if they have not taken theirs immediately) but this is a casual gamesite and that previous player still gets 24 hours to take their turn. as such you can not move more than 1 turn ahead of them, or anyone else.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
 
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am
Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby IcePack on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 am

how am i just seeing this now? Love the idea :)
Image
12:11:16 ‹Swifte› good thing we have the beta program to weed all these problems out
12:15:00 * IcePack joins Social
12:15:35 ‹Swifte› well that's just bad timing
User avatar
Lieutenant IcePack
Beta Tester Extraordinaire
Beta Tester Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 6748
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 105
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (12)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby skychaser on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 pm

I didn't quite understand what you told Greenoaks. Could you ellaborate?

I know. I'm not that smart and in top of that I have a headache. Maybe I will try think about it later with a clean head.
User avatar
Colonel skychaser
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:06 pm

This wouldn't apply to me ever I don't think but I would imagine freemiums would love it; more bang for their freemium account.

It would be risky though. Everyone could one day take their turns quickly in order and you're at work or something for 8 hours and boom, missed turn. For this reason I would probably not do it since my ability to get online is quite scattered but I always am able to get on once a day.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1973
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:15 pm

greenoaks wrote:
skychaser wrote:Yep. If it's 20 turns based one can't play 21 turns. When his allowed turns are over, then they are over.

But it makes a slight changing. If someone can do more than one turn and everyone else has already played all of their turns then he can play all of his turns straight.

Later I will gather the options people displayed about double turns.

which is why i said a rolling turn. you can't move more than 1 move ahead of anyone else.

Staggered may allow you to take your turn 6 hours into the previous players turn, (if they have not taken theirs immediately) but this is a casual gamesite and that previous player still gets 24 hours to take their turn. as such you can not move more than 1 turn ahead of them, or anyone else.


Suppose we have a two player game, and red starts and immediately plays his turn. Green has 24 hours to play, but waits until hour 22 to play. After six hours had passed, red could play his second turn before green has even taken his first turn. How do we count what rounds each turn happened in? After green has played his turn, does that start a new 'round'? If so, what round is red in? Are the players in different rounds simultaneously? How do we enforce that each gets the same total number of turns in a round limit game?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 4515
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: NY
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby Vartiovuori on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
skychaser wrote:Yep. If it's 20 turns based one can't play 21 turns. When his allowed turns are over, then they are over.

But it makes a slight changing. If someone can do more than one turn and everyone else has already played all of their turns then he can play all of his turns straight.

Later I will gather the options people displayed about double turns.

which is why i said a rolling turn. you can't move more than 1 move ahead of anyone else.

Staggered may allow you to take your turn 6 hours into the previous players turn, (if they have not taken theirs immediately) but this is a casual gamesite and that previous player still gets 24 hours to take their turn. as such you can not move more than 1 turn ahead of them, or anyone else.


Suppose we have a two player game, and red starts and immediately plays his turn. Green has 24 hours to play, but waits until hour 22 to play. After six hours had passed, red could play his second turn before green has even taken his first turn. How do we count what rounds each turn happened in? After green has played his turn, does that start a new 'round'? If so, what round is red in? Are the players in different rounds simultaneously? How do we enforce that each gets the same total number of turns in a round limit game?


After green plays his first turn, he immediately gets a second turn because red already played his second round.
Sergeant 1st Class Vartiovuori
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:08 pm
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby spiesr on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Vartiovuori wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Suppose we have a two player game, and red starts and immediately plays his turn. Green has 24 hours to play, but waits until hour 22 to play. After six hours had passed, red could play his second turn before green has even taken his first turn. How do we count what rounds each turn happened in? After green has played his turn, does that start a new 'round'? If so, what round is red in? Are the players in different rounds simultaneously? How do we enforce that each gets the same total number of turns in a round limit game?
After green plays his first turn, he immediately gets a second turn because red already played his second round.
Yes, however if you read the post you could see that Player 1 taking his Round 2 turn before Player 2 takes his Round 1 may present a significant technical issue.
User avatar
Captain spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) General Contribution (3)

Re: Staggered Gameplay

Postby mc05025 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:56 pm

mc05025 wrote:Hmm, that seems funny and intresting.

Lets check the complicated 3 players situation

Round 1
time =0, Player 1's turn starts
if time = 360 mins or Player 1 ends turn, Player 2's turn starts (B)
if time = (B) + 360 mins or Player 2 ends turn, Player 3's turn starts (C)
if time = (C) + 360 mins or Player 3 ends turn, Round 2 starts, Player 1's turn starts (D) (that is if round 1 is not the round limit)

Lets assume player 1 hasn't yet take his 1st turn
Two clocks should run for him. 1 for his firts round and 1 for his second round which is ok.
That means player 1 can take his 1st turn during the second round

If there is round limit on round 1 it should be formula to say that:
When all players ends turn the new round starts (and the game is over)

Obviously player 1 should take first his round 1 turn and then he is allowd to take his round 2 turn.


EXAMPLE

Lets assume the situation that player 1 is offline for 24.00 hours and the others are online

round 1 start.
after 6 hours player 2 start and end turn.
Player 3 can take and end his turn instantly

round 2 starts
Now player 1 can see 2 clocks
After 6 hours (so total of 12 hours) , player 2 starts his 2nd turn
Again player 3 take his turn immidiatly

round 3 starts
Player 1 can see 3 clocks running now
After 6 hours (so total of 18 hours), player 2 starts his 3nd turn
Again player 3 take his turn immidiatly

round 4 starts
Player 1 can see 4 clocks running now
After 6 hours (so total of 24 hours) player 1 miss his 1st turn, and player 2 starts his 4nd turn
Again player 3 take his turn immidiatly

lets assume round 4 is round limit

Instead of round 5 starting nothing happens waiting for palyer 1 to take his 4th round.
When player 1 take his turn (or get elliminated or miss all his turns or/and kicked out for violating the rules)
round 5 starts.
the game is over

So the maximum of the rounds that a player can take is 4 in a row.


Everyone is adding something new and I can not anderstand what is the final idea. Is it what I am discribing above? If not what is the change?

The alternative and much more simple but maybe not that funny, intresting and fair is the new round to start only if all players has taken their turns and so it is imposible for a player to play 2 more turns than an other player.
User avatar
Colonel mc05025
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:09 pm
Medals: 33
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Previous

Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login