[GF] Saved Searches in Game Finder

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Suggestion: Saved Searches in Game Finder

Postby chipv on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 pm

ubersky wrote:There are some things that I feel should be part of the site, even though you can find some add on to fix it. Since this is not on Lack's To-Do list as a Reject, I would like to support this built into the site.

If you know how to read the HTML, you can construct your own... i.e.

"Crossmaps"
Code: Select all
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gs=W&pt=N&mp=96,9,92,104

So I don't think it's a hard thing to store on the site (either in a "last 5 searches" or "repeat last search" or "save this search" at the bottom of the GF menu).

I would support it being added to the site.

Why not just bookmark the URLs, rename them if you want?
Colonel chipv

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)
General Contribution (10)

Postby lancehoch on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:37 pm

chipv wrote:Why not just bookmark the URLs, rename them if you want?

I am pretty sure that the game finder pages all have the same url.
Lieutenant lancehoch

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby ubersky on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:39 pm

You could create bookmarks of the above codes and use them yes. It's basically how the GM script works.

I still think it has a place mechanically as part of the site, but like alot of things that BOB or Clickable Maps provide, you can get it outside the site.
Lieutenant ubersky

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby chipv on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:42 pm

lancehoch wrote:
chipv wrote:Why not just bookmark the URLs, rename them if you want?

I am pretty sure that the game finder pages all have the same url.

You get the real URL from the << button at the top right of the results page.
You don't see all of the parameters in the address bar because this is what is called a POST query which hides the parameters in the address bar.
Colonel chipv

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (1)

Postby chipv on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:49 pm

ubersky wrote:You could create bookmarks of the above codes and use them yes. It's basically how the GM script works.

No the GM script does not mimic bookmarking because the disadvantage of bookmarking is that it is more difficult to edit.
A bookmarking script would have to run on the results page.
The GM script runs on the game finder and works by saving all of the form data into persistent memory.
The reason why it does this is to make it easy to load and edit saved searches.
Colonel chipv

Postby ubersky on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:57 pm

no.. I'm not saying that bookmarks are the same as the GM script at all. I think the way your GM Script works is great, and I think that the functionality deserves to be embedded into the site.

It's possible to replicate some of the feature with saved searches, as long as you know how to submit the url correctly, but for most people, that is a pain in the butt, so for most people, the GM script is the best way to go.

Unless they put it in the site. :)
Lieutenant ubersky

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby chipv on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:12 pm

ubersky wrote:no.. I'm not saying that bookmarks are the same as the GM script at all. I think the way your GM Script works is great, and I think that the functionality deserves to be embedded into the site.

It's possible to replicate some of the feature with saved searches, as long as you know how to submit the url correctly, but for most people, that is a pain in the butt, so for most people, the GM script is the best way to go.

Unless they put it in the site. :)

I agree with you, actually.

I can't claim credit for this script, I just corrected and rehosted it, but it's actually a neat little script written by stocksr.
Colonel chipv

Game Finder Search Agents

Postby JubjubS22 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Concise description:
  • Game Finder Search Agents

Specifics:
  • add the ability to save specific search criteria selected in the Game Finder as a "Search Agent" that can be used over and over, similar to many job search websites.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • make game searches used regularly a matter of 1 or 2 clicks, rather than several clicks, making it easier and faster to find games and get to the action.
Sergeant 1st Class JubjubS22

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Game Finder Search Agents

Postby mikeplay on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:37 pm

O:) this is one of the best suggestion i heard.it take forever to find desired games.thank you .
Corporal mikeplay

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:14 pm

There is a script that saves let's you save your searches. Look it up in the plug-ins forum in the GD.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby JubjubS22 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks, I'll see if I can find the script.

I still think it would be a nice element to the site rather than a separate script that has to be setup. Most new players would not know to look for a script, or even know how to find it.

Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby JubjubS22 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:51 am

The script was easy to setup. Didn't take too much searching to find the right topic, New Greasemonky Script - Saved Searchs ( http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=18815 )

With so much content in the forums is does get hard to find stuff. I've even been on some of the topics that list all the scripts but wasn't looking for a "save searches" script at the time. I guess that makes this a duplicated post, so sorry for that.

Anyway, thanks again. I have it setup and am already using it now.

Postby JubjubS22 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:50 am

Now that I am using the DEFAULT feature of the Saved Searches script it makes me want to have a clear or reset button on the Game Finder screen. I know you can deselect items, as well as keep multiple saved searches and click on them to change the form, but starting from scratch should be as easy as clicking a clear or reset button. A reset button on an HTML form should be a fairly easy thing to code.

Postby JubjubS22 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I must have eaten my Wheaties this morning cause it dawned on me that I could clear the Game Finder search form and save it as RESET. Using DEFAULT it loads my usual game search automatically, but if I want to start from scratch I just load the RESET saved search and it is as good as having an HTML button to clear and reset the form. I guess you just have to be smart enough to use the tools already in your hands. :)

Searchable 'Joine A Game'

Postby tundrapie on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 am

It would be great if we could quickly narrow down from the 2,000+ games that are available to only those that we are interested in, i.e., only doodle or assassin doubles games. Also be able to save such searches as favorites for each user. Far to laborious the way it is set up now.
Corporal tundrapie

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Searchable 'Joine A Game'

Postby Thezzaruz on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 am

:? Gotta be a wind up but anyhow...

Game finder (in the left hand menu) for all your search needs.
Plug-in forum has a "save search" script.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Saved Search Preferences - Faster Searching

Postby Jippd on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Just a thought but maybe to store the last search preferences that you selected. That way if you don't find a game that fits your requirements (especially if searching for speed games) you can easily search again.

I find it tedious to click the same check boxes for every search . I would prefer the option to either store a saved search preference, that will have set boxes checked every time I click 'Game Finder'

Another option is that the last search setting would be 'saved' IE whatever you checked last would come up again and you would have to change the checkboxes if you wanted to or you could just click the search button to have the games come up.

Let me know what you think, I know it would save me a lot of time...I'm primarily a speed games player.
Brigadier Jippd

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Re: Saved Search Preferences - Faster Searching

Postby soundman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I don't know if this will help you but when you search for a game you can hit the little arrows that take you from page to page and when you do that it refreshes the search.
Lieutenant soundman

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Seems like a good addition. In the mean time have a look in the plug-in forum, IIRC there is a script that does this.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Jippd on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks to both of you will have to look for the script.

Also the back and forward button does work, didn't realize it would because when I hit back the checkboxes are empty. Definitely makes my searching a little easier.

Possibly another thought...on the search results page, just create a button that refreshes your search with the options you had checked.

If there is more than one pages of searches perhaps it would also randomize it? I don't play 24 hour turn games but maybe this would help so that when you search for them you don't only see 10 games that one person has created in a row of the same map with same rules as I know happens a lot.
Brigadier Jippd

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby haggispittjr on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:09 pm

this is something ive been wanting for a while actualy
Lieutenant haggispittjr

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Revamp "Join a Game" page

Postby Grifter on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Concise description:
  • Revamp the Join a Game page so that it always displays games using a set of saved criteria. The gamer can use the Game Finder page to set and save the criteria.

Specifics:
  • Currently it displays all waiting games which last time I checked was 2500+ games on 26 pages. This makes the list almost useless. No one is going to go through the entire list
  • The default criteria will be Standard Automatic Sequential No Fog Casual Public. This brings the list down to 300+ games on 4 pages. This criteria is designed to make it easy for new players to find a simple game to start with.
  • On the Game Finder page add a checkbox to "Save criteria for Join a Game" beside the Search button. If checked then it will save this criteria and use it.
  • Display this criteria at the top of the Join a Game page

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Makes the page easier to use
  • Each gamer can customize it to what they like to play
  • Will encourage beginners to stick to the simple games to start with.
Lieutenant Grifter

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Revamp "Join a Game" page

Postby stahrgazer on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:43 pm

=D> Really good suggestion here.
Major stahrgazer

Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (7)

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:56 pm

There is a plug-in for this.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby Grifter on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm

plug-ins are handy but it would be nice to build this into the site. That way IE users can benefit as well.

Another suggestion - add a feature to sort the list of games by different options.
Lieutenant Grifter

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Submitted Suggestions