[GP/UI]Automatically Award Spoils Even if a Player Times Out

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Automatically award a spoil to a player that takes a territory:

Never. Timing out to avoid getting a spoil is a valid strategy.
22%
Always. Any player that takes a territory in any game type should be awarded a spoil, even if he doesn't click "End Turn."
54%
For all games except speed and/or freestyle. It's a key part of the timing in those games and should be preserved.
23%

Total votes : 81

Re: Automatically award spoils even if a player times out

Postby Doc_Brown on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 pm

How feasible would it be to implement this for sequential games but not freestyle? I'm not particularly opposed to allowing people to time out, but like Ace mentioned early in the thread, I think there is a serious issue if something is explicitly banned in clan play that is considered valid outside the clan games. So far there is over 80% support for automatically awarding spoils at least for sequential games (and a large majority support implementing this for all game types). If the implementation is not too difficult, I'd recommend implementing it for sequential games now and spending more time considering whether it should be used in freestyle games.

Edit: I added this proposal as a compromise option at the end of the first post.
Major Doc_Brown

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (2)

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 am

jetsetwilly wrote:I completely support eliminating the ability for a player to take his turn, capture or bombard a territory, then time out without being awards spoils. If a player times out on his turn, he will automatically be awarded any spoils he would have received if he ended his turn normally :)

my thoughts exactly.

spoils should be awarded when your turns ends, regardless of whether it was because the timer reached zero or you clicked the 'end turn' button.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:10 am

I support this. I never liked that you can simply wait for the end of your turn to avoid getting a bonus. And I don't like the idea of making the rule different for different settings. The most convincing counterarguments that I see are as follows (with my counter-counterarguments)

First argument is that part of the dynamic of speed games is that you must finish your turn in time. I would be more swayed by this if I thought that how fast you can press buttons should outweigh the strategic nature of the game. However, I do not think that how quickly you can press 'e' 'e' should determine whether or not you get a spoil. I realize that much of speed games is how quickly you can make certain attacks, etc. I'm fine with that aspect because there's a little bit more strategy involved. But to me, there's little strategy element in whether you can end the turn at that fraction of a second to press the 'e' key enough times.

The other argument is that this adds complexity to the game, and I think that D4 Damager did a pretty good job of showing complexity existing on both sides of this debate.

So to me, as it seems with many others, this comes down to "how the game is supposed to be played." Granted, that's a very subjective standard, but it seems to me that the majority believe that the way the game is supposed to be played is that you get a card for conquering a territory.

Add to this, that I really dislike putting different rules/coding/settings on different types of games (e.g., speed v. casual; freestyle v. sequential). And add that this tactic wastes time in some games (as a player waits an hour for his turn to count down) and I'm pretty resolutely in the camp of awarding spoils anytime a territ is taken during a turn.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:59 am

and the Instructions tab agrees with us.

You earn spoils at the end of every turn in which you successfully conquer a region
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)

Postby mc05025 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

yea, when running out of time you do not end the turn. You do not pess end turn and there is no 'end turn' written in the log. The turn is incompleted and the game moves on. So it is correct right now
Colonel mc05025

Medals: 33
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm

mc05025 wrote:yea, when running out of time you do not end the turn. You do not pess end turn and there is no 'end turn' written in the log. The turn is incompleted and the game moves on. So it is correct right now

if my turn hasn't ended how come i can't continue to attack?
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Yeah - players still have the option of depleting a region without taking it if they really dont want a card.

Why not, as well, automatic deferred troops if a player times out without having deployed ?
Captain Teflon Kris

Medals: 170
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby mc05025 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm

greenoaks wrote:
mc05025 wrote:yea, when running out of time you do not end the turn. You do not pess end turn and there is no 'end turn' written in the log. The turn is incompleted and the game moves on. So it is correct right now

There is no rule saying you can attack till you end your turn. You can attack till you press end assaults or run out of time. Thats why you can not attack anymore :D
Colonel mc05025

Medals: 33
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby kuma32478 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I fully support this suggestion
Sergeant 1st Class kuma32478

Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (9)
Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 pm

mc05025 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

There is no rule saying you can attack till you end your turn. You can attack till you press end assaults or run out of time. Thats why you can not attack anymore :D

but there is a rule that states i get a Spoil when my turn has ended. it does not say only if my turn has ended in a particular fashion.
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Postby Crazyirishman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Why not, as well, automatic deferred troops if a player times out without having deployed ?

I like this idea. It's the worst when you start you turn, forget about it and lose out on all troops.

Personally, I like the idea if there is the exception giving for speed freestyle.

As a an occasional shitty freestyle player, I feel that it would equal the playing field if I could just attack and not have to worry about ending my turn and get an auto-card, it would for sure make the game easier.
Captain Crazyirishman

Location: Maine, North Carolina, Colorado or somewhere in between.
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby trinicardinal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:48 pm

I definitely support a spoil being awarded as long as you have successfully conquered/bombarded at least one territory
Major trinicardinal
Head Chatter
Head Chatter

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (5)
Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (7)

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:As a speed freestyle player myself, I echo the concerns voiced by Metsfanmax. I've been contemplating this rule for about a week now and I arrived at the same conclusion that Ace has, which is to not change the rule for freestyle.

BMO

So.... Does this mean the compromise proposal is considered Submitted?

Compromise Proposal:
Automatically award spoils earned in all sequential games. Allow timing out without receiving spoils in freestyle games.
Major Doc_Brown

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (2)

Postby Fazeem on Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm

trinicardinal wrote:I definitely support a spoil being awarded as long as you have successfully conquered/bombarded at least one territory

I concur
Lieutenant Fazeem

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby greenoaks on Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 am

Doc_Brown wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:As a speed freestyle player myself, I echo the concerns voiced by Metsfanmax. I've been contemplating this rule for about a week now and I arrived at the same conclusion that Ace has, which is to not change the rule for freestyle.

BMO

So.... Does this mean the compromise proposal is considered Submitted?

Compromise Proposal:
Automatically award spoils earned in all sequential games. Allow timing out without receiving spoils in freestyle games.

i hope not. 1 rule for all forms of the game means no confusion.
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Submitted Suggestions