Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby spiesr on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:44 pm

What criteria would be used to determine what is cheating? The rules as are applied now or they way they were when the person was Conqueror? Some players reached that rank doing things that are disallowed now but were not specifically forbidden at the time.
What level of abuse is required for someone to be considered cheating? Something that would get them convicted of a Major Infraction, or just a Minor, or simply being sufficiently "cheap"?
User avatar
Lieutenant spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 pm

spiesr wrote:What criteria would be used to determine what is cheating? The rules as are applied now or they way they were when the person was Conqueror? Some players reached that rank doing things that are disallowed now but were not specifically forbidden at the time.
What level of abuse is required for someone to be considered cheating? Something that would get them convicted of a Major Infraction, or just a Minor, or simply being sufficiently "cheap"?

Well to me it only seems fair that the past conquerors should be put under the same light as more recent ones. It's not like these questionable players didn't know they were doing something that was abusive, they were just taking advantage of the fact that their practices were not yet explicitly disallowed by the letter of the rules. Those people who want to reminisce about said "questionable" conquerors can still do so, they just won't have the medal since it doesn't hold up under reasonable standards.
As far as what conviction need be charged in order for the player in question to lose his medal, I should think it would just be whatever would cause a current conqueror to lose his/hers.

I think a major point of all this is that it seems like there was a period in CC history where there was a mad dash to find and exploit any loopholes in order to get the conqueror position. The fact that it happened is unfortunate and those people got their time in the sun but it's high time the record was set straight. The best way I can see to do this is by stripping the conqueror medal from those players so that anyone who reads into this history will see that while you can slip through the cracks for a time on CC, it's not worth it in the long run.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

spiesr has a good point you are not really responding to. let's say there are some ex conquerors who did something like GLG but not as systematic. GLG's case was shaddy enough and it took ages to burst him. The only reason why they suspended him is because he was doing 95% this in my understanding. There were people defending GLG at the time. So if you start cases on stuff even more borderline, I doubt it would be considered.
Nevertheless, I remember an old post abou conquerors done by demonfork (before the conqueror medal existed) where he wrote down conqueror positions and a few were marked in rainbow because everybody knew they got there by cheating, it was common knowledge. So I'd say those can safely be stripped their conqeror medal (even if I'm not even sure they were given the medal when they came out).
Image
User avatar
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 4564
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: Paris
Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 pm

betiko wrote:spiesr has a good point you are not really responding to. let's say there are some ex conquerors who did something like GLG but not as systematic. GLG's case was shaddy enough and it took ages to burst him. The only reason why they suspended him is because he was doing 95% this in my understanding. There were people defending GLG at the time. So if you start cases on stuff even more borderline, I doubt it would be considered.
Nevertheless, I remember an old post abou conquerors done by demonfork (before the conqueror medal existed) where he wrote down conqueror positions and a few were marked in rainbow because everybody knew they got there by cheating, it was common knowledge. So I'd say those can safely be stripped their conqeror medal (even if I'm not even sure they were given the medal when they came out).

Do you have a link to demonfork's thread, Betiko? That might be useful.

I thought I responded to spiesr's point in that I thought that any practice that would be considered unworthy of the medal by a current conqueror should apply to any former one but maybe I need to explain my ideas further.
I think that the cases against conquerors are evolving to be more and more stringent and I believe this to be a positive trend as maintenance of the integrity of the conqueror title reflects the site's reputation as a whole and tends to keep a lid on distention. The good thing is we have archives of all the games ever played so to an extent there is no way of covering up ill deeds, it's just a matter of digging.

So to answer your question, theoretically there should be sufficient evidence to make a strong enough case against any previous conqueror if they were indeed shady.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

I don't like the ex post facto nature of this punishment or tarnishing of someone's reputation. GLG got busted because he repeatedly engaged in behavior that he had been warned about. Many of the others that would fall into your desired net did no such thing. What one person sees as "exploiting a loophole" another will see as being the best at what they do. I think everyone who has ever weighed in on one of these Conqueror disputes has some idea of what the "best and most deserving" form of gameplay is on this site and wishes that it happened to be one of the ways to make Conqueror. But while there have been many ways that people have earned that status, the list of methods is surely a subset of a compilation of those aforementioned players' wishes and desires.

And lastly, I can see no other result from the implementation of this than a gigantic, undeserved headache for the C&A team, as well as other mods. If it wasn't for my other feelings about this suggestion, that would be enough in my mind to be opposed to it.
Image
User avatar
Colonel agentcom
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm

agentcom wrote:I don't like the ex post facto nature of this punishment or tarnishing of someone's reputation. GLG got busted because he repeatedly engaged in behavior that he had been warned about. Many of the others that would fall into your desired net did no such thing.

You make it sound like I'm plotting or something, I'm just wanting past conquerors to be put under the same scrutiny as recent ones for prosperity's sake. Besides, it's only fair to those who were stripped that others who were doing similar things should have theirs stripped as well. It's not like the site has been around for 20 years or something and people should be "grandfathered" into the title due to the "context of the period". This stuff is fairly recent.
Also, I've reasoned why the ex post facto nature is necessary in previous posts.

agentcom wrote:What one person sees as "exploiting a loophole" another will see as being the best at what they do. I think everyone who has ever weighed in on one of these Conqueror disputes has some idea of what the "best and most deserving" form of gameplay is on this site and wishes that it happened to be one of the ways to make Conqueror. But while there have been many ways that people have earned that status, the list of methods is surely a subset of a compilation of those aforementioned players' wishes and desires.

That's fine and the reason why I'm suggesting that the cases be reopened and held under the same light as more recent ones and by the same processes as you would expect a current conqueror.

agentcom wrote:And lastly, I can see no other result from the implementation of this than a gigantic, undeserved headache for the C&A team, as well as other mods.

Spread it out then. Deal with one conqueror a month if that will be easier on the C&A team or one every 2 months, whatever is reasonable. I realize that the mods, etc. are busy and there of course is no reason to rush if this were implemented. There aren't really all that many previous conquerors and once the process is over it will never have to be done again.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby betiko on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am

there you go hugo.

viewtopic.php?t=150783
Image
User avatar
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 4564
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: Paris
Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby Evil Semp on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Spread it out then. Deal with one conqueror a month if that will be easier on the C&A team or one every 2 months, whatever is reasonable. I realize that the mods, etc. are busy and there of course is no reason to rush if this were implemented. There aren't really all that many previous conquerors and once the process is over it will never have to be done again.


So when GLG got his punishment for farming we should have looked at past conquerors for farming. Then when Kiron got his punishment for SD/decider game abuse we would have had to look at all conquerors again for the new abuse. Then when it is decided that you can't become conqueror unless you play the game types that the masses want you to we have to go back and look at the game types that former conquerors played. Then we can go back a take away the conqueror medal away from those who used clickies before clickies were standard on the site. Then when/if we ever get to choose our colors we can ....and so on and so on and so on.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter
 
Posts: 7039
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm
Medals: 76
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (21) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) General Contribution (11)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Evil Semp wrote:So when GLG got his punishment for farming we should have looked at past conquerors for farming. Then when Kiron got his punishment for SD/decider game abuse we would have had to look at all conquerors again for the new abuse. Then when it is decided that you can't become conqueror unless you play the game types that the masses want you to we have to go back and look at the game types that former conquerors played. Then we can go back a take away the conqueror medal away from those who used clickies before clickies were standard on the site. Then when/if we ever get to choose our colors we can ....and so on and so on and so on.


I can appreciate you analogy ES but it's an extreme one and arguably not all that applicable.

I'm only suggesting stripping of those who were blatantly taking advantage of faults/holes in the rules before they became sealed. If a previous conqueror was partaking in practices like those done by Kiron and GLG, of course they should have their medal stripped as well, that's my whole point here!

You're comparing the examples of a baseball player using steroids to gain a home run record and a modern baseball player gaining a record by having more games in a season/better equipment than an old-time player but no one would agree they are the same thing.

P.S. Thanks for the link, Betiko. ;)
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby chapcrap on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:So when GLG got his punishment for farming we should have looked at past conquerors for farming. Then when Kiron got his punishment for SD/decider game abuse we would have had to look at all conquerors again for the new abuse. Then when it is decided that you can't become conqueror unless you play the game types that the masses want you to we have to go back and look at the game types that former conquerors played. Then we can go back a take away the conqueror medal away from those who used clickies before clickies were standard on the site. Then when/if we ever get to choose our colors we can ....and so on and so on and so on.


I can appreciate you analogy ES but it's an extreme one and arguably not all that applicable.

I'm only suggesting stripping of those who were blatantly taking advantage of faults/holes in the rules before they became sealed. If a previous conqueror was partaking in practices like those done by Kiron and GLG, of course they should have their medal stripped as well, that's my whole point here!

You're comparing the examples of a baseball player using steroids to gain a home run record and a modern baseball player gaining a record by having more games in a season/better equipment than an old-time player but no one would agree they are the same thing.

P.S. Thanks for the link, Betiko. ;)

Do you have any examples where this may be applied? There aren't that many former conquerors...
Image
User avatar
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 9575
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm

chapcrap wrote:Do you have any examples where this may be applied? There aren't that many former conquerors...

Well I considered mentioning/comparing certain players earlier in the thread but decided against it as I don't want to single any one specific person. This is not an attempt to hunt out any particular individuals, just an attempt to make things right/fair in general.
Image
User avatar
Colonel Funkyterrance
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Strip Past Cheating Conquerors of their Conqueror Medals

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:53 am

So, I've been trying to decide exactly where to go with this thread.

It seems to me that the C&A Team does a pretty good job of punishing people when cases are brought forward to them. They have been fair and just, making the site a better place overall. In my estimation, they would look at any case brought to them, so this topic is mostly moot. I fail to see what anyway would like to see done that has not been done. In the past, medals have been stripped, point resets have been given, website bans have been handed down. Punishments in all shapes and sizes have been wrought on various usurpers of goodness and rules. To that end, it seems to me, this is already, effectively, implemented. Am I wrong in this or can I move the thread to Implemented. I'll wait a short period to hear rebuttals to my ascertation.
Image
User avatar
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 9575
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Previous

Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Login