[Rules] Tutorial for New Players

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Tutorial for new players

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:We already have a few Auto-PMs sent out. If I recall correctly:

Upon first Joining Conquer Club (the user is also brought to an introductory page explaining the website I think)
Upon first Promotion
Upon Joining a Speed Game

There may be a few others as well. Lack has the info.

--Andy

So then what we really need is to set up either an area of the forums or somethign that can be used to give this new tutorial....and then tell them about it or direct them to it.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Postby azezzo on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 am

AndyDufresne wrote:We already have a few Auto-PMs sent out. If I recall correctly:

Upon first Joining Conquer Club (the user is also brought to an introductory page explaining the website I think)
Upon first Promotion
Upon Joining a Speed Game

There may be a few others as well. Lack has the info.

--Andy

andy could you be so kind as to go into more detail, I tried to pm lackattack for more info on the subject, but received a message that the web master does not accept messages from the great unwashed.
thanks
Major azezzo

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 am

slowreactor wrote:
jefjef wrote:How about non-point tutorial games vs. CC servers?

First, good luck getting a bot that can teach someone the intricacies of CC. Second, before someone suggests that SoC should take in all incoming recruits for a few learning games, they WILL be overloaded if they do.

I agree that a true automated tutorial, would be difficult. However, what about a MUCH simplified version of the cook's training classes?

That is, while they certainly teach how to play standard boards as well as basic strategy, not everyone wants to go through that process before they just start playing. Also, while those who are able and willing to teach real strategy are few, most people are happy to explain "here is how bonuses work on this map", here is how a bombardment works, etc".

What about creating a forum only for new people, with games begun by volunteer mentors who will play AND teach while playing (no need to wait to play yourself, etc). The limit would be 2 games on any map. IN fact, I would go further and have a smattering of maps with different play styles (some with bombardments, a conquest map, some of the unusual maps like Arms Race!, etc.) Volunteers could agree to keep open maps with either 1 vs 1 or 4 players. After 2 maps, the person would have to enroll in the cook's classrooms to learn more.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 am

azezzo wrote:Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.

New players should be made aware of plug ins and add ons as well as how different game options increase the degree of difficulty.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

1)player retention, fewer new players would quit out of being taken advantage of(farmed)
2)fewer reports of cheating and abuse made by players who know nothing of clickable maps
3)this would help create a more even playing field for all members

I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "features".

I think it would be great, for example, if new players could find out about the "clickies" and so forth (even though they are not officially a part of CC), how fog works, etc.

However, I think a real automated tutorial would just be too complex. (though maybe not....)
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
azezzo wrote:Suggest that C.C. create a tutorial of all the great features that are available, for new players as well as for all the casual players here.

New players should be made aware of plug ins and add ons as well as how different game options increase the degree of difficulty.

1)player retention, fewer new players would quit out of being taken advantage of(farmed)
2)fewer reports of cheating and abuse made by players who know nothing of clickable maps

I like this suggestiong, (Cook's forum or Strategy section would be good places), but if you want it read, you need to use the form.

The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I believe all new people are now given pms about this.
At some point, you can offer the spoon, but they have to pick it up themselves.

Hmmm...my son just joined the site, but he didn't get that PM. Perhaps it doesn't happen until sometime later?

EDIT: Ah, I see now that Night Strike says it happens after five games. Why not do it upon joining?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Strife on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

I like this suggestiong, (Cook's forum or Strategy section would be good places), but if you want it read, you need to use the form.

The problem here is that if someone doesn't ever go to the forums, they don't know about the Cook or Strategy forums.

I believe all new people are now given pms about this.
At some point, you can offer the spoon, but they have to pick it up themselves.

Hmmm...my son just joined the site, but he didn't get that PM. Perhaps it doesn't happen until sometime later?

EDIT: Ah, I see now that Night Strike says it happens after five games. Why not do it upon joining?
Why waste the time and auto-generated messages on potential quitters, I guess. I assume that after those five games they assume they're addicted or showed a little bit of commitment, so they get some more server space.
FREE MUSTARD!FREE MUSTARD!
Corporal Strife

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Strife wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Hmmm...my son just joined the site, but he didn't get that PM. Perhaps it doesn't happen until sometime later?

Why waste the time and auto-generated messages on potential quitters, I guess. I assume that after those five games they assume they're addicted or showed a little bit of commitment, so they get some more server space.

You're probably right on that. By the same token, if they'd just figure a method that would allow them to delete users (a situation which seems laughable to me), this wouldn't be a problem.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

[Revamped] Conquer Club -> Video Tutorial ? [Suggestions]

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey Guys I am thinking about creating a Youtube program for Conquer Club. Ideas are listed below, please feel free to leave your input !

IDEAS FOR CONQUER CLUB YOUTUBE HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO LACK OF SUPPORT.
The Idea of a beginners tutorial is still out there.

If this idea becomes a success, I would be more than happy to lead this project, but would need a lot of help for you guys, my fellow Conquer Club Memebers !

Teams/Groups - Would Be Necessary In Making This Happen.
    * Administration Team
    • This team would help over see that everything is in order and things are in place.
    * Technical Team
    • The Technical Team would input their knowledge into action if needed during production stage and uploading stage.
    * Production Team
    • The Production Team would be in charge of creating videos, as appealing and eye-catching as possible.

* Outreach Team
    • The Outreach team would request ideas from other members of Conquer Club, and would collect information and testimonials on what to put as the next video.
    * Script Team
    • The Script Team would be in charge of creating themes of videos that would address the certain type of video: Outreach, Updates, Entertainment.

Types - Different Audience For Videos
    * Outreach
    • Outreach Videos would aim to bring new players to Conquer Club
    * Updates
    • Update Videos would aim to update current players on the News headlines and on going major events or topics up for discussion.
    * Entertainment
    • Entertainment Videos would do their job of entertaining people, jokes, fun statistics etc. It could even vary to sports events or politics.

1. My idea of the first video would be an Introductory Video to what conquer club is all about. Telling viewers, real testimonials from us about how much we enjoy this site and support it. This will then encourage our viewers to try out Conquer Club hence creating a new audience.

Feel free to give your input and suggestions on how I could improve this idea and the types of videos we could create to make this idea a success. Thanks in advance for all your support and suggestions ! Please Support and Suggest !!!
Last edited by ChewyBlu3y on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Sergeant ChewyBlu3y

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30)

Re: Making A Youtube Outreach For Conquer Club!

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm

ChewyBlu3y wrote:How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • xxxxxxx

I totally agree!
saxitoxin wrote:This is the Platinum Lounge, you POS. People should be able to enjoy a surprise dick pic now and then.
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

LOL Army of God. Thanks for the random support :D <3
Sergeant ChewyBlu3y

Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 am

he was making fun of the fact that you completely ignored the form...LOL
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
General Contribution (4)

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:41 am

I know lol, I posted the empty format previously to editing it
Sergeant ChewyBlu3y

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Does Anyone Want To Give Their Support? [:
Sergeant ChewyBlu3y

Re: Conquer Club Videos On Youtube ! [Suggestion Please!]

Postby SevenSociety on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:13 am

I think its a great idea to help support the site and bring more publicity....nice work!
Major SevenSociety

Location: Highest rank: Brig / Highest ranking: 38 / Highest Score: 3374
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 am

SevenSociety wrote:I think its a great idea to help support the site and bring more publicity....nice work!

Thanks Seven !, very much appreciate it, if you have any input or suggestions, i'll be more than happy to add it !
Sergeant ChewyBlu3y

Postby edwinissweet on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:46 pm

i like the thought you put into it. But you are pretty much suggesting we create like an advertising team. Idk if that would work. But the begginers tutorial would be nice
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby ChewyBlu3y on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks , I would be more than happy to put one together, and if there was need for videos on newsletters on updates for the community. I would be more than happy to. If the idea gets passed, would you mind if i recruit a team?
Sergeant ChewyBlu3y

Tutorial system

Postby dakky21 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 pm

As from I heared, the number of players on CC is dropping. New players come, but in the wilderness of the site, they get lost.

I'm suggesting a tutorial system that will lead new players into SoC, into Live Chat, and into the site itself. I have an idea but I don't have the specifics. Maybe some form of a frame that will guide new players.

Something should be done on this matter if we mean to get new players....
Colonel dakky21
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer

Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (20) Clan Achievement (28) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Tutorial system

Postby jsnyder748 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm not sure what the system is like now, but when I joined 4 years ago it was confusing to navigate until a friend who showed me the website showed me how. It was just like 5 p.m.'s about my first turn and stuff like that.

A more in depth tutorial would help keep new people interested. When you join you hate waiting for it to be your turn. Maybe playing a mock 1 v 1 would help them get used to game play and then making them play a doubles, 1 v 1, 6 person standard, and speed game would show them different types of games that they would enjoy. depending on how often they want to take turns they could chose quicker games before they get used to waiting 2 days to take their turn again in a doubles game.
Colonel jsnyder748

Medals: 89
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (14)

Postby mc05025 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Thats true.

At my first time I got online I tried to find the classic map (because I knew the board game). I looked at the left. The tab 'my games' was empty. So I cliced the 'join a game' because I wanted to join a game. A list of funny maps showed up. I did not know what to do so I scrolled down till I found a map with the world (it was the classic map) and I joined. After a while the game started. I got in and I wasn't sure who was supposed to play (it happened to be freestyle). I saw the players, and some green and red squears that I didn't know what are these. Anyway I saw the begin turn and I took my turn. I finished the turn and of coarse again I did know who was supposed to play next to me. In addition there was a strange clock that I had no idea what was counting before, during and after my turn. I logged out. The next day the same... I had no idea when I was supposed to take my turn, who was supposed to play etc. After that I missed some turns and I kicked out.
I had the patient to join an other game. I was lucky it was senquential this one. But there were some strange questionmarks. I wasn't sure what were those... maybe there were empty places free to capture? it was hard to say.

Do not expect the newcomers to go through all tubs, read the rules, understand the settings and everything, join a game from the 'game finder' by chosing the map and settings that want to play etc.

The newcomers want to play a speed simple game and see if this is a game that worth to play. Make it easy to start a simple map (classic map) with simple settings (sequential, chaned, no fog, no trench, flat rate, no round limit, up to 4-5 people). Making a tutorial might be a good Idea to.
Last edited by mc05025 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel mc05025

Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby spiesr on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Captain spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 am

As El_Jefe stated when he took the site over, getting and retaining players, including a better introduction to new players, was a big goal. Let's hold him to it.
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 pm

I offered to make a video tutorial once, in exchange for Premium. I was offered a medal instead. I'm not into medals.
betiko wrote:8 cm long, 4cm circumference; light brown

betiko wrote:it really hurt. I learned a few years later that I was doing it wrong, i was inserting them in my anus
Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 pm

chapcrap wrote:As El_Jefe stated when he took the site over, getting and retaining players, including a better introduction to new players, was a big goal. Let's hold him to it.

Based on this, I think we can move this to submitted.

SUBMITTED

However, we can still use this space to specifically discuss what the tutorial needs to contain.
show
Sergeant 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:27 am

With this addition will probably require another MOD team (Skilled people to train others).

Also note that the SoC is a part of the MOD team.
My List of favorite Quotes. Most directed toward me, but some are so good I can't help but post them:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192747
Major Jdsizzleslice

Location: Former Tech Mod :: High Score: General - 3651 :: Rank: 33
Medals: 85
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (9)

PreviousNext

Return to Submitted Suggestions