Conquer Club

Shadow Top Rejected Suggestions in main Suggestions Forum

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Which option do you prefer?

Common rejected topics stickied in Rejected Forum
40%
A stickied topic with a list of common rejected topics in Suggested Forum
20%
Shadow topics of common rejected topics in Suggested Forum
40%

Total votes : 5

Shadow Top Rejected Suggestions in main Suggestions Forum

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 am

Concise description:
  • Put shadow topics of the most commonly resuggested Rejected Suggestions in the main Suggestions Forum

Specifics/Details:
  • When persons new to this forum arrive with their ideas, they often do not realize that those ideas are not new, and many of them do not bother to search for existing suggestions. It's only human nature to presume that one's idea is both novel and valuable.
  • To help people see what they need to see, I suggest that some or all of the stickied Rejected Suggestions be shadowed and stickied in the main Suggestions Forum. That way, they are more likely to be seen and extended, rather than having a new topic added that the Suggestions moderators will simply merge to the Rejected Suggestion.
  • A special topic icon marking these shadows as Rejected would be a good idea, and easy to add, but the topic title might also be changed to reflect this.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Persons suggesting something already rejected are more likely to see, read, and perhaps understand the topic which has already explored the idea.
  • Suggestions moderators would spend less time answering and merging duplicate topics.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Shadow Top Rejected Suggestions in main Suggestions Foru

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 am

Instead of shadowing multiple (5-8) threads. Would a list of the most popular rejections be sufficient?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 am

Well, I would leave it to the Suggestions moderators to determine which ones appear, but I would shadow each one individually. I would not suggest a topic which summarizes the rejected ones, as this would be more work and would not put the details right in front of the users who need to see them.

Postby blakebowling on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:02 pm

IMO, if the user isn't willing to put in enough effort to read a bit in the suggestions forum, the user isn't serious about their suggestion. I don't like this suggestion, because it just clutters up the main suggestions forum (even if we start with 5, eventually we'll end up with 20+).
Private blakebowling

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:09 pm

blakebowling wrote:IMO, if the user isn't willing to put in enough effort to read a bit in the suggestions forum, the user isn't serious about their suggestion. I don't like this suggestion, because it just clutters up the main suggestions forum (even if we start with 5, eventually we'll end up with 20+).

Perhaps a compromise is to put a text banner for the main forum telling people to look at the commonly rejected suggestions before creating a new thread.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:45 pm

blakebowling wrote:IMO, if the user isn't willing to put in enough effort to read a bit in the suggestions forum, the user isn't serious about their suggestion. I don't like this suggestion, because it just clutters up the main suggestions forum (even if we start with 5, eventually we'll end up with 20+).

I, too, wish people would read more and spam less, but I have doubts that it will happen soon. Sadly, too many can't be bothered to even open the Rejected forum.
Also, I agree that this must be limited to just a couple of rejects: the Surrender feature comes to mind. I hope the Suggs mods would use their good judgement here.
Metsfanmax wrote:Perhaps a compromise is to put a text banner for the main forum telling people to look at the commonly rejected suggestions before creating a new thread.
This might work, but putting an existing topic that can be added to right in front of the noses of these people might get them to post, right off the bat, where their post will ultimately end up.

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Well there's really only three that come up frequently enough that I would consider it worth doing (resign button, no points games, and rank filter for games) that perhaps this is not unwieldy.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:13 am

That's about the number I pictured as well.

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Well, this is something that is really up to us (the users) and what we think will look presentable and be the most effective. So, we just need to decide how we want to do it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 pm

You're right, the community should decide. Luckily, unlike many other suggestions, all this one really needs to be implemented is a policy decision by the Suggestions moderators.

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 pm

chapcrap wrote:Instead of shadowing multiple (5-8) threads. Would a list of the most popular rejections be sufficient?

I like this idea of a list; I like it much better than yet another banner headline.

The list would combine two purposes if each item listed displayed a link to the rejected thread itself - because then without having to weed through all the items in the rejected thread, the person reading the list seeing an idea similar to his could then hit the link and go right to all the previous discussion of the "new suggestion" he'd otherwise have made - and identify if his seems unique enough, after all, to try again.

The other benefit of list-with-links is, any topic that falls under a couple descriptions could be listed under the variations you might have found them - nothing specific comes to mind, just throwing that out there because people do use different wording for their ideas sometimes.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 am

But a list inside a topic is no more accessible than the stickied topics in the Rejected Suggestions forum itself. If people do not open that forum and check what's there, why would they open a topic to find the list?

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 pm

I prefer the current system, tbh.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Created a poll.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:33 am

I haven't voted yet. Right now there are 3 votes... We're gonna need a little more input to change it, I think.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Okay, I make it four votes, by choosing the third choice, my suggestion. This first option is the status quo, right? And the second option, in my opinion, will be extra effort for little to no gain, as I said before:
ender516 wrote:But a list inside a topic is no more accessible than the stickied topics in the Rejected Suggestions forum itself. If people do not open that forum and check what's there, why would they open a topic to find the list?

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:12 pm

ender516 wrote:Okay, I make it four votes, by choosing the third choice, my suggestion. This first option is the status quo, right? And the second option, in my opinion, will be extra effort for little to no gain, as I said before:
ender516 wrote:But a list inside a topic is no more accessible than the stickied topics in the Rejected Suggestions forum itself. If people do not open that forum and check what's there, why would they open a topic to find the list?

Correct.

I have no strong opinion on the matter. So, I'm not voting.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Suggestions