Community medal

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Community medal

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am

Community medal


Concise description:
People who help mapmakers in the development of their maps by giving constructive feedback and people who report bugs are able to earn points. Every time you have a total of 20 points, you earn an additional medal. This is a medal system comparable to the TO, GA, ...(so no bronze, silver, gold and platinum)

Specifics/Details:
  • mapmaker: can click on a special button to attribute a point to a person's comment, meaning he helped him in the development of the map with his constructive feedback(only possible in their own threads)
  • Cartoghaphers: can also attribute a point, but they also have the ability to take back a point given by either themselves or mapmaker(possible in every thread in map foundry)
  • Global moderators: can also attribute a point, but they also have the ability to take back a point given by either themselves or mapmaker(possible in every thread in "map foundry" or "bug reports" forum)
  • Tech team: can attribute a point and take one away(possible in all threads of "bug reports" forum)
  • Points per feedback: can not be higher than 1, and not lower than 0
  • Map foundry: points can only be attributed from stages draftroom to beta map. Quenched maps or maps who didn't make it to draftroom yet, are not eligable.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • More involvement in the map foundry is better for mapdevelopments
  • Compared to betamap medal suggestion, this would not only encourage people to check out and play the betamaps, but it would only reward them once they use that knowledge in the map foundry.
  • More people involved on forum(more chance of them also checking out rest of forum ==> more fun on website ==> more loyalty)
  • Rewarding players who take the time to report bugs
Image

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
User avatar
Cook waauw
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Re: Community medal

Postby betiko on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14 am

i think it's a pretty good idea. I think people already get medals for being good contributors in the foundry, but i might be wrong
Image
User avatar
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 4547
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: Paris
Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Re: Community medal

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 am

betiko wrote:i think it's a pretty good idea. I think people already get medals for being good contributors in the foundry, but i might be wrong


I think that's for people involved with the development in a more direct sense. But if it is already possible, then there should be revisements on how to communicate this to the community. A special medal for this would make sure that the entire community knows what exactly they have to do to earn it.
Image

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
User avatar
Cook waauw
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Re: Community medal

Postby spiesr on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 am

The General Contribution Medal in theory already rewards for this type of activity. I am not sure if the various departments would actually want a semi-automated system of handling it, I believe that the Suggestions Team might like that sort of system but other groups might prefer more direct control. Perhaps you should consider expanding beyond just Maps and Bug Report, for example Suggestion and Q&A are other areas where user contributions can be valuable. You might need a more complicated point system, a contribution in one area isn't necessarily equally valuable/difficult to one in another.

Unfortunately, this suggestion sounds like it would take significant developer time to code in, for a rather limited usefulness too, so I think the odds of this being implemented are low. Perhaps a coding free variation could be done, where the mods have to keep track of all the points themselves.
User avatar
Lieutenant spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Re: Community medal

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 am

spiesr wrote:The General Contribution Medal in theory already rewards for this type of activity. I am not sure if the various departments would actually want a semi-automated system of handling it, I believe that the Suggestions Team might like that sort of system but other groups might prefer more direct control. Perhaps you should consider expanding beyond just Maps and Bug Report, for example Suggestion and Q&A are other areas where user contributions can be valuable. You might need a more complicated point system, a contribution in one area isn't necessarily equally valuable/difficult to one in another.

Unfortunately, this suggestion sounds like it would take significant developer time to code in, for a rather limited usefulness too, so I think the odds of this being implemented are low. Perhaps a coding free variation could be done, where the mods have to keep track of all the points themselves.


Maybe they should change the description of the general contribution medal then. Because honestly the current description does not really explain it. When reading it, one can guess the necessary criteria. But without mentioning examples or details, it just leaves the reader behind with questions.
Image

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
User avatar
Cook waauw
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Re: Community medal

Postby spiesr on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:39 pm

waauw wrote:Maybe they should change the description of the general contribution medal then. Because honestly the current description does not really explain it. When reading it, one can guess the necessary criteria. But without mentioning examples or details, it just leaves the reader behind with questions.
The General Contribution medal really is kind of a catch-all medal. Departments have the ability to award it for the sort of things you mentioned but there really isn't a standardized system for doing so. Additionally a person who contributes to multi areas but doesn't really stand out in any of them will likely go unnoticed, which your suggestion could improve.
User avatar
Lieutenant spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Re: Community medal

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

spiesr wrote:
waauw wrote:Maybe they should change the description of the general contribution medal then. Because honestly the current description does not really explain it. When reading it, one can guess the necessary criteria. But without mentioning examples or details, it just leaves the reader behind with questions.
The General Contribution medal really is kind of a catch-all medal. Departments have the ability to award it for the sort of things you mentioned but there really isn't a standardized system for doing so. Additionally a person who contributes to multi areas but doesn't really stand out in any of them will likely go unnoticed, which your suggestion could improve.


Well the easy way to use a point system without programming work(except for a new medal), is if you leave out mapmakers. Just make a shared Google docs file which can only be modified only by mods(assuming they are all trustworthy). There players could be listed(only if they have at least 1 point) alphabetically and behind each name their amount of points. This would be easy to keep up to date and the different data can easily be searched by ordering names alphabetically or using filters.
Image

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
User avatar
Cook waauw
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Re: Community medal

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:22 pm

As a Suggs/Media/Tournament mod, I would have no issue with a points system being used to hand out GC Medals. They are one of the rarest medals and I think it would give people an additional reason to be helpful and make constructive posts to the site.

However, I would not allow general users to award the points, because that could easily lead to some abuse. Having it automated would be the best way, but as previously stated, that could be a troublesome task. Manually tracking everyone's points is definitely going to be a no.
Image
User avatar
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 9575
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)


Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login