Conquer Club

Not so random maps

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Exclusions w/ Random Maps [Last Call ~ TFO Poll added]

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 pm

squishyg wrote:random is random is random is random. if you want to run a tourney of only small maps or big maps or green maps or pig maps, then select your maps and use random.org to decide which one is being used for each game. but don't ruin the random setting for the rest of us.

How will this ruin the random setting? It's an OPTION. It's not forcing people to remove maps.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Woodruff on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
squishyg wrote:random is random is random is random. if you want to run a tourney of only small maps or big maps or green maps or pig maps, then select your maps and use random.org to decide which one is being used for each game. but don't ruin the random setting for the rest of us.

How will this ruin the random setting? It's an OPTION. It's not forcing people to remove maps.

Again, my concern is that once the site starts tracking RANDOM maps as a "map rank" (please do this soon, by the way!), that these "exclusionary randoms" will be included in that tracking, and they should not be. As long as that doesn't happen, then I have no problem with it (though I must admit the idea of "random but not actually random" doesn't make a lot of sense to me, personally.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Woodruff wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

Again, my concern is that once the site starts tracking RANDOM maps as a "map rank" (please do this soon, by the way!), that these "exclusionary randoms" will be included in that tracking, and they should not be. As long as that doesn't happen, then I have no problem with it (though I must admit the idea of "random but not actually random" doesn't make a lot of sense to me, personally.

I thought it was already banged out if you removed maps, it would remove the "random map medal".
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Woodruff on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

I thought it was already banged out if you removed maps, it would remove the "random map medal".

Well...given that we don't yet HAVE the "random map medal" nor tracking of random maps, you'll forgive me if I'm not convinced that I trust it won't happen. <smile>
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby drunkmonkey on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 am

Please don't vote against this because it might mean that some other suggestion that might someday be implemented might not work the way you thought it might.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:Please don't vote against this because it might mean that some other suggestion that might someday be implemented might not work the way you thought it might.

Then get it specifically added to the initial suggestion, and I'll be satisfied. <smile>

Postby drunkmonkey on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Woodruff wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:Please don't vote against this because it might mean that some other suggestion that might someday be implemented might not work the way you thought it might.

Then get it specifically added to the initial suggestion, and I'll be satisfied. <smile>

Why would we add specifics for how a future unconfirmed suggestion would work with this? That doesn't make sense.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Woodruff on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:27 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Why would we add specifics for how a future unconfirmed suggestion would work with this? That doesn't make sense.

Because even though it may appear to be more of a matter for that separate suggestion, it is a legitimate concern for this suggestion as well, held by multiple people within this thread. Believe me, I have brought it up in the thread for that other suggestion, as well. <smile>

Postby JoshyBoy on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Blah blah blah... what a waste of time and space this topic is....

*All opinions expressed are personal and in no way reflect the views or position of the Suggestions Team, or indeed Team CC in general.*
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Master Fenrir on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:02 am

I like this idea. Or just permanently exclude the Hive, Doodle, and Lux from random maps.
General Master Fenrir

Postby mgourley on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 am

We are making this too complicated.

How about three options to make everyone happy?

1. Random...Same as current.
2. Customized (Random with some exclusions)...Random with up to 10 maps excluded by game creator.
3. Variable...Map is randomly chosen from 10 possible maps chosen by game creator.

Using the format for showing maps excluded (or possible) created by jrh_cardinal shown below.
Last edited by mgourley on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant mgourley

Re: Exclusions w/ Random Maps

Postby mgourley on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:24 am

Here it is

jrh_cardinal wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Lindax wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:So would be exclusions have to be noted, or would that not be an issue?

I made the suggestion mainly with tournaments in mind. In a tournament the exclusions can, and would have to be, easily noted.

I would think that for tournaments, the exclusions would be noted in the "tournament start post" at the beginning of that tournament's thread.

yes, it would be. This would just make it easy to implement something like this, random map tournaments without auto-stalemate maps.

AndyDufresne wrote:So would be exclusions have to be noted, or would that not be an issue?

I would say they would need to be noted, it's not fair to people joining games if their favorite map(s) aren't on there. Perhaps something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------two separate pics

obviously it wouldn't be the same 5 maps twice, but you get the picture. Also, there would have to be some sort of limit, even if it was like 20. If there was not a limit, people would Exclude way too many maps for that to work.

My idea would be to have the "Exclusions" thing as a mouse-over kind of like the share button used to be. It could also be clickable, doesn't really matter
Sergeant mgourley

Postby oldrisky44 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:13 am

I voted yes with unlimited exclusions because I think it would be a great way to create a themed random tournament. For instance, a "random cities of the world" tournament could be set up using only city-type maps.

Random is random, but even random.org offers the option to limit the number of randoms from which you choose. You don't have to pick from an infinite number of integers if you only need 36.
Corporal 1st Class oldrisky44
SoC Training Adviser

Postby wolfpack0530 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 am

i voted for unlimited. let players choose which maps they would like to randomize. for instance, a quads game where you randomized the 15 maps with the highest tert count would be a benefitial option for some clan challenges.

1v1 games where only conquest maps were up for grabs to minimize the drop + go first advantage.

ect.
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:41 am

Alright, we need a bit more support for one of the Yes votes before I can do anything with it. We need a clear path. Either
-Limited Exclusions
-Unlimited Exclusions
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 am

why? I mean its like the option select all, unselect all. and then go from there...
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:Alright, we need a bit more support for one of the Yes votes before I can do anything with it. We need a clear path. Either
-Limited Exclusions
-Unlimited Exclusions

Is 58% really such an overwhelming majority to accept the implementation will take place?

Postby Blitzaholic on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Master Fenrir wrote:I like this idea. Or just permanently exclude the Hive, Doodle, and Lux from random maps.

or cc could just send those 3 maps back to the map foundry to enhance them.
General Blitzaholic

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Woodruff wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:Alright, we need a bit more support for one of the Yes votes before I can do anything with it. We need a clear path. Either
-Limited Exclusions
-Unlimited Exclusions

Is 58% really such an overwhelming majority to accept the implementation will take place?

Dunno, ask Queen_Herpes, she believes a 52-48 is a good enough majority to Submit something.

If this doesn't get going again, it's going to be dropping off of sticky.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

If people have a problem typing long lists into the list randomizer, they can just copy the "browse maps" page. It gives two of every result, but that doesn't affect the randomization. List randomizer was brought up twice before, but never quoted so I figured I would bring it up again just in case.

Hive Sucks
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Queen_Herpes on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Allow the restrictions and move this to submitted suggestions.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 pm

I think it's ironic that "don't like it, don't use it" is the reason giving for being against this option. :?
Major drunkmonkey

Postby mgconstruction on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Love this idea. Not only being able to exclude Hive :lol: But I run tourneys where players have home maps & random as the neutral, so being able to exclude their home maps is a definite plus.

BTW I am not sure how some not wanting this in poll should matter as its an option so technically everyone can have their way with it being that way :shock:
Sergeant 1st Class mgconstruction

Postby blakebowling on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Rather than "excluding" a list of maps. I'd rather see the option of choosing a list of maps, and one of them would be chosen randomly. The only issue I see with this is, How will it be displayed on a game listing that hasn't started yet.
Private blakebowling

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 am

blakebowling wrote:Rather than "excluding" a list of maps. I'd rather see the option of choosing a list of maps, and one of them would be chosen randomly. The only issue I see with this is, How will it be displayed on a game listing that hasn't started yet.

Maybe a link of sorts along with the game like: [show selected maps] and then it'll give you the list of included maps in a pseudo pop-up like when you click on a map icon to see the full map, or it could simply act like a spoiler.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions