Conquer Club

Option To Switch From Trench To Normal

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Option To Switch From Trench To Normal

Postby El_Jefe on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:09 pm

I think it would be great to have an option to switch from Trench to Normal during the game (if all players agree). The idea is that it would be used after the winner has been determined to speed up the process of them taking the final rounds (which currently can take forever). Don't force it on anyone but it would be nice to have the option and I'd gladly use it in games where I was the obvious winner or loser just to get the game done faster.

[Delete Me]
PLACE THE NAME OF THE SUGGESTION IN THE SUBJECT LINE!

Things to remember when posting a new suggestion are that the dice are random, and that lots of analysis has been done on them both internally and public by community members. Also, please take time to search for previous similar suggestions and, if possible, to check current and archived threads before posting something "new". Delete the xxxxxxx, and substitute your text.

Any questions, contact one of the Suggestions Moderators.
[/Delete Me]

Concise description:
  • xxxxxxx

Specifics/Details:
  • xxxxxxx

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • xxxxxxx
Sergeant 1st Class El_Jefe

Re: Option To Switch From Trench To Normal

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:27 pm

El_Jefe wrote:I think it would be great to have an option to switch from Trench to Normal during the game (if all players agree). The idea is that it would be used after the winner has been determined to speed up the process of them taking the final rounds (which currently can take forever). Don't force it on anyone but it would be nice to have the option and I'd gladly use it in games where I was the obvious winner or loser just to get the game done faster.

1. I think this is an excellent idea!
  2. I'm happy to see that you still play the game!
  3. I'm a bit disappointed that you can't or won't use the template correctly.

Ah well, two out of three aint bad.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby spiesr on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:59 pm

The administration is currently considering implementing some variation of the Surrender Button. It seems like that would be a more direct solution to games where the result is basically decided but the act of finishing it is taking too long.
Captain spiesr

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:13 am

spiesr wrote:The administration is currently considering implementing some variation of the Surrender Button. It seems like that would be a more direct solution to games where the result is basically decided but the act of finishing it is taking too long.

I was interpreting this suggestion in a broader sense. Not that it constitutes people wanting to surrender, but people wanting to blow open an essentially stalemated game and play it out.

This is essentially what happened (at least on the Western front) in WWI. Trench warfare had everybody stuck in a gruesome war of attrition that was never going to end. Then tanks came along and broke the lines open, and the war started heading toward completion. We know how it turned out, but it might have gone the other way, too. That's how I see EJ's proposal here: as the players voting to "invent tanks" and get the game moving along again.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Having a Forfeit button makes more sense if the goal is to speed up an most likely inevitable loss. If that was implemented, then it would make OP's suggestion pointless.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:54 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Having a Forfeit button makes more sense if the goal is to speed up an most likely inevitable loss. If that was implemented, then it would make OP's suggestion pointless.

That is correct, but I think this also would be neat gameplay. What if trench automatically shut off after X rounds?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:56 pm

That would be interesting. It could kind of be like that "10 minute NO RUSH" mode for RTS games, but I'm not sure how useful it would be here. 'Course, that's up the users to innovate beyond the planners' wildest imaginations.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby OliverFA on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 am

spiesr wrote:The administration is currently considering implementing some variation of the Surrender Button. It seems like that would be a more direct solution to games where the result is basically decided but the act of finishing it is taking too long.

Yeah, the surrender button would a much better solution to this problem.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:15 am

Metsfanmax wrote:That is correct, but I think this also would be neat gameplay. What if trench automatically shut off after X rounds?

This would be a great little option to have along side Trench.

Trench Round Limits. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 am

OliverFA wrote:

Yeah, the surrender button would a much better solution to this problem.

You're both missing the point. This is not a surrender option. This is an option to break open the floodgates and have a final glorious battle in which anybody might win.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby agentcom on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:52 am

The OP begs to differ

El_Jefe wrote:The idea is that it would be used after the winner has been determined to speed up the process of them taking the final rounds (which currently can take forever). Don't force it on anyone but it would be nice to have the option and I'd gladly use it in games where I was the obvious winner or loser just to get the game done faster.

Colonel agentcom

Postby reallybigslick on Mon May 19, 2014 6:41 pm

It would never fly, why would a player who spent weeks spreading across the map with one army everywhere to have some guy with 2 territories get the escalating set first and rampage the map in 1 turn. Only a fool who was in a big lead would agree to that. surrender is best.
Private 1st Class reallybigslick

Return to Suggestions