Conquer Club

a tournament that eliminates first turn and drop luck

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

a tournament that eliminates first turn and drop luck

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:06 pm

a tournement of mirrored games were player A goes first on map 1 vs player B and player B goes first on mirrored drop on map A
if this needs clarification, imagine any one vs one game where you went first ; you play that game and the exact same map and drop except your opponent has your drop and goes first ... those are mirrored games ... perhaps a tournament round would be 6 pairs of mirrored games against your opponent ,:

• probably easiest to do by scenario ; but maybe a coder thinks it could be done on a random map and random drop

would require red always going first so team A or player A in 1 v 1 starts half the mirrored games , as does team B :
  • could start times be staggered , so player A and B receive half their red games day one , and the mirrored half day 2 to allow them equal opportunity to see and copy vs improve their opponents start strategy?

in the 1 vs 1 championships even in 25 or 27 game matches I've had significant advantages in drops and getting first turns i think...
caveat; of course is still the luck of players familarity with random map or scenario and dice... also tneed to consider a tiebreaker ; e.g. fewest turns in victories , or a single game that isn't mirrored. or the way auto-tournaments are settled now ; first to join wins (@#$%) ! :

[list]
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
Major t4mcr53s2

Re: a tournament that eliminates first turn and drop luck

Postby concrete on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 am

So if "mirrored games" is offered as a game option and you click it when you are creating a game, then another player selects to play it in waiting games, that player who selects it is actually signing up to play 2 games against you. In game 1, player 1 goes 1st, then in 2nd game player 2 goes 1st. If that is what your saying then I like the idea. That is a great option to have when creating games. I would think that it would be easy to implement not only in 1 vs 1 games but every other setting as well. NOT JUST TOURNEY'S, regular games would work out great with this option!!!
Colonel concrete

Postby IcePack on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Theoretically you can set this up using scenarios can't you? Specify territories for red / green and then in your tournament set up two games, and alternate who's red?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Donelladan on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:35 am

It would work icepack. But it would be better if this could be coded as an option for any kind of maps, and with a random drop.

Simply like that, first game is generated normally with a random drop. Second game is a copied of the first one, but both players are exchanged, and the same one start. And that for all maps.
If possible also for team games.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Lord_Bremen on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:28 pm

This is basically a home and away option, I like it.
Major Lord_Bremen

Postby clangfield on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:27 pm

concrete wrote:So if "mirrored games" is offered as a game option and you click it when you are creating a game, then another player selects to play it in waiting games, that player who selects it is actually signing up to play 2 games against you. In game 1, player 1 goes 1st, then in 2nd game player 2 goes 1st. If that is what your saying then I like the idea. That is a great option to have when creating games. I would think that it would be easy to implement not only in 1 vs 1 games but every other setting as well. NOT JUST TOURNEY'S, regular games would work out great with this option!!!

How would that work in more than 1 v 1? In 3 player you'd need 6 games to get every combination of who goes in each position; 24 games for 4 players, and so on. Can't see it catching on for 12 player games.
For 1 v 1 though, I like the idea. Just gets a bit tricky for a freemium with one game slot.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby IcePack on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:47 pm

clangfield wrote:
concrete wrote:So if "mirrored games" is offered as a game option and you click it when you are creating a game, then another player selects to play it in waiting games, that player who selects it is actually signing up to play 2 games against you. In game 1, player 1 goes 1st, then in 2nd game player 2 goes 1st. If that is what your saying then I like the idea. That is a great option to have when creating games. I would think that it would be easy to implement not only in 1 vs 1 games but every other setting as well. NOT JUST TOURNEY'S, regular games would work out great with this option!!!

How would that work in more than 1 v 1? In 3 player you'd need 6 games to get every combination of who goes in each position; 24 games for 4 players, and so on. Can't see it catching on for 12 player games.
For 1 v 1 though, I like the idea. Just gets a bit tricky for a freemium with one game slot.

Premium only perk, problem solved.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm

IcePack wrote:
clangfield wrote:

Premium only perk, problem solved.

Even with premium, it would probably be an uweildy solution. A six-player game wouldn't just require six games, it would require 6! games (every permutation of drop and start order.)

I don't disagree with making it a premium perk, but it would still probably work best only with game types that could be mirrored with 2 games only -- 1v1s, polys, 4P dubs, 6P trips, and 8P quads.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Yeah my first solution would be to utilize scenarios.

Other than that, premium perk I think would be required.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Donelladan on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:41 pm

In multiplayer game, drop and first turn are not so much a problem as in 1vs1.
I agree with Dukausaur, this would be useful, and realistic, only in game with 2 teams ( 1vs1/2vs2/3vs3/4vs4/poly),
In 6 players games I never care that I start or not so much with the drop.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby judge_reinhold on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:48 pm

1v1 mirrored games would be cool.

Maybe only make it available for players who have finished x number of games. Newbies get confused by all the options.
Colonel judge_reinhold

Postby jaybrake on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

very good idea!
Lieutenant jaybrake

Postby concrete on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:41 am

My bad, I figured it was a given low #'s of players was better. So yes...awesome option for 1 vs 1, and poly. My love of the idea wasn't for 6 player games. Hopefully we'll see this as an option in game creation.
Colonel concrete

Postby codierose on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:16 am

is it not a game of chance/luck
Major codierose

Postby Donelladan on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am

A lot of tournaments try to eliminate the "luck part" by making best of 3, 5 or 7.
In tournament the purpose is that the most skilled player win, not the luckiest.

Therefore this would be a nice addition for tournaments.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Vorpal Blade on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 pm

We are in Round 5 of New World 2 Masters and I find myself going second in 6 of the 9 games, it's hard to fight back from that starting point.

I think poly levels the field more then the number of games.

One other idea, some type of toggle where you get the drop or get to go first, but not both.

The idea has challenges with fog of war, but it might help balance the playing field.
Lieutenant Vorpal Blade

Return to Suggestions