Conquer Club

New Method for Deployment

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

New Method for Deployment

Postby random21 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:11 pm

New Method of Deployment

Combine Manual and Automatic.

Automatically, the board is given 3 troops per territory.

Additionally, I suggest troops are placed manually on top of this.

In a poly or team game: each player places 3 additional units where they wish. I.e. whether it is a triple poly game, or triple team game, each player places 3 troops manually to make a six stack, or 3 4 stacks to give extra dimension to the game.

In a 1 v 1 game, players place 6 additional troops.

Now, this could be edited.. to less or more number of troops. I am welcome to input, but do not believe doubling the troop count so that say 9 starting territories = 27 troops split in 3's, and add say another 27 troops is feasible...

I think consideration of first turn advantage still needs to be maintained.

A small number of manual deployed troops on top of an automatic game could be interesting.

Alternatively, we could create a game where say automatically each stack starts with 4-5 troops, and you place an additional number of troops 3-12 troops on top of this.

Changes would be based on poly, team, 1 v1 set up etc. But yeah.

Good for the site.. because it expands game play. Obviously.

Obviously, this changes dynamic of game depending on board. I think i like this for particularly large boards. While it admittedly might corrupt game play on smaller boards.
Field Marshal random21

Re: New Method for Deployment

Postby owenshooter on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:05 am

random21 wrote:Good for the site.. because it expands game play. Obviously.

you lost me there... the consensus seems to be that too many maps and too many game options have helped the site dwindle from almost 30K to just around 8K... i don't think increasing gaming options is a positive thing for the site... good luck with this...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 am

owenshooter wrote:
random21 wrote:Good for the site.. because it expands game play. Obviously.

you lost me there... the consensus seems to be that too many maps and too many game options have helped the site dwindle from almost 30K to just around 8K... i don't think increasing gaming options is a positive thing for the site... good luck with this...-Jésus noir

That's not the consensus. That's merely the opinion of 10 to 15 people who unfortunately like to repeat it over and over and give it more prominence than it deserves.

The basic rule of business is that more choice = more different customers that can be satisfied. If Baskin-Robbins only offered vanilla, they wouldn't get very far. If you went into Denny's and the only thing on the menu was scrambled eggs, no exceptions, take it or leave it, you'd leave it. If your cable company only offered one channel, you wouldn't bother paying for it. Etc., etc., etc.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby owenshooter on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 am

Dukasaur wrote:The basic rule of business is that more choice = more different customers that can be satisfied. If Baskin-Robbins only offered vanilla, they wouldn't get very far.

and that is why Baskin Robbins is also dwindling... why do you always use this one example, it is a poor example... they got killed by frozen yogurt stores with far less than 31 flavors!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-01-16/after-years-of-decline-baskin-robbins-attempts-a-comeback

the more options CC offers, the more people flee... changed the freestyle rules and lost a huge chunk of the site (you can not deny that, they need to change the rule back), added increasingly difficult maps and maps that did not deserve to be on the site, and new members began to dead beat games at a record pace (how many maps have less than 100 plays a month, and i bet most of those are from random)... went after forum goers, and the forums are now dead (applaud the attempt to bring it back, i truly do)...

put your head in the sand, the increase in options has not helped this site, it has hurt it. obviously the powers that be agree, by having limited the maps that new recruits can join and the types of games they can play. until they separate out all the maps and settings into a neat and tidy interface that can be understood, they should hold off on new options. recently, 4 members came back that i had contacted to do so. all 4 sent me emails that the site was overwhelming and they just didn't want to bother with re-learning the site or figuring out what in the hell was going on... these were people i had played tons of games with!!! anyway, good luck, adding more clunk to a site that is mired down in settings and confusion...-Jésus noir

show
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:00 am

owenshooter wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:The basic rule of business is that more choice = more different customers that can be satisfied. If Baskin-Robbins only offered vanilla, they wouldn't get very far.

and that is why Baskin Robbins is also dwindling... why do you always use this one example, it is a poor example... they got killed by frozen yogurt stores with far less than 31 flavors!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-01-16/after-years-of-decline-baskin-robbins-attempts-a-comeback

the more options CC offers, the more people flee... changed the freestyle rules and lost a huge chunk of the site (you can not deny that, they need to change the rule back), added increasingly difficult maps and maps that did not deserve to be on the site, and new members began to dead beat games at a record pace (how many maps have less than 100 plays a month, and i bet most of those are from random)... went after forum goers, and the forums are now dead (applaud the attempt to bring it back, i truly do)...

put your head in the sand, the increase in options has not helped this site, it has hurt it. obviously the powers that be agree, by having limited the maps that new recruits can join and the types of games they can play. until they separate out all the maps and settings into a neat and tidy interface that can be understood, they should hold off on new options. recently, 4 members came back that i had contacted to do so. all 4 sent me emails that the site was overwhelming and they just didn't want to bother with re-learning the site or figuring out what in the hell was going on... these were people i had played tons of games with!!! anyway, good luck, adding more clunk to a site that is mired down in settings and confusion...-Jésus noir

I totally disagree. The main reason people leave a game is boredom. Successful game sites like pogo pretty much add a new game every week. This site isn't any different. When new game modes were added (Trench, Polymorph, 12-player games) there was a large-but-temporary upsurge in members. Trench I think netted us something like 1000 members returning, Polymorph something like 2000. Maybe adding a new game every week is too optimistic, but if we could add a significantly new game every six weeks we'd be riding the wave.

And Basking-Robbins is making a comeback...:)
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby random21 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:48 pm

There could be any number of reasons why membership is going.

Dice and inability to control who joins what games perhaps?

I would prefer if I not lose 13 troops in a dice attack of 16 v 3 - oh i got the territory in the end, with 3 v 1. or lose 9 v 3 consecutively in a polymorphic quads game for each of the 4 players over 3-4 rounds. where 9 v 3 ends up in me not taking at all, or barely taking at the end when i push it 3 v 1 2 v 1. having 8 v 1 fail to being 1 v1. i don't argue about dice.. because apparently that discussion goes no where.

what makes it even worse, is that while those dice happen to you, you can have your opponents getting wildly good dice and its just a stomp fest where you die. that is immensely frustrating.

or not being able to make it where in order to join my games the person is say at least a major or captain. so that the number of times i lose 50+ points goes down. and i continue to go up 7 points at a time. many sites have it where ratings can determine who does or does not join games, and those sites are plenty successful enough.

I'm sure other people have similar feelings. its not like the only reason low ranks play on this site, is so that they can try their luck on high ranks.

things like parachute forts, polymorphic games i was delighted to see. i actually had the idea of polymorphic myself, wish i had put in here, but so little of any suggestions i have ever made go anywhere. freestyle gaming might have had an impact i have no clue. when a feature is added that i don't feel like playing, it doesn't make me leave the site. that is stupid. search my games. i have never played an assassin game. or a terminator game. or a freestyle game. but i don't leave because those things were created, or because they invent zombie spoils. i just don't play them...

the argument of too many maps is also ridiculous. this site has a wonderful arrangement of maps. i own most of the actual risk games. because of event cards and other things, i think the real thing beats online version hands down. but this site has particular advantages... i have access to equivalent of 250 maps to play, i don't have to set up or put away the board. with different settings... one of which fog can not be replicated in real life. and while i have my preferences of large maps, or medium maps. i don't leave even though I've never played them all. i didn't join this site so i can play a stupid map like doodle earth. no offence to the creator of doodle earth, or those who play it. if you are looking for a quick game or want a small map, I'm sure it is heaven for you.

nothing wrong with new stuff i think.
Field Marshal random21

Postby random21 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

or being able to play an unrated game. too. most sites have that option
Field Marshal random21

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:20 pm

This is developing into a discussion for a separate thread, which has been had across many forums over recent years. Most people come here looking to play online risk and then see so many different combinations they're bamboozled.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Return to Suggestions