Conquer Club

[Rules] Limit total number of missed turns allowed

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: limit for no-consecutive missing turns

Postby Eddygp on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:30 am

I support this change in whatever form it is implemented.
Private Eddygp

Postby EricPhail on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:16 pm

I agree with idea - I also wish to sugest that the missed turn message become more helpful, eg X missed a turn (2nd Consecutive, 3rd Total). so to make it easier to see how bad it is /close to getting kicked they are
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:07 pm

agentcom wrote:I don't think that we need to do this. Players that miss a ton of turns within a game face the simple punishment of losing the game (as long as everyone else plays well and there aren't crazy dice). The exception to this occurs in really long games, where missed turns don't matter so much. But even in these games, it's hard to justify kicking a player out after 3 missed turns in a 90 round game.

Chap's idea of having a ratio makes more sense, but I hardly think it should be as low as 3/100.

I dunno, 10+ missed turns really screws with the dynamics of a game. Why not just have 3 missed turns total be the rule? If you miss 3 turns odds are you are either intentionally missing turns or you are not really interested in the outcome.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby darth emperor on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
agentcom wrote:I don't think that we need to do this. Players that miss a ton of turns within a game face the simple punishment of losing the game (as long as everyone else plays well and there aren't crazy dice). The exception to this occurs in really long games, where missed turns don't matter so much. But even in these games, it's hard to justify kicking a player out after 3 missed turns in a 90 round game.

Chap's idea of having a ratio makes more sense, but I hardly think it should be as low as 3/100.

I dunno, 10+ missed turns really screws with the dynamics of a game. Why not just have 3 missed turns total be the rule? If you miss 3 turns odds are you are either intentionally missing turns or you are not really interested in the outcome.

I agree with agentcom, because is very easy to miss 3 non consecutive turns in a game. Maybe for 10 rounds I would agree with you, Funky, but 100 rounds(plus if is it 8 players) missing 3 turns would be quite easy.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 pm

darth emperor wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

I agree with agentcom, because is very easy to miss 3 non consecutive turns in a game. Maybe for 10 rounds I would agree with you, Funky, but 100 rounds(plus if is it 8 players) missing 3 turns would be quite easy.

I guess I just support anything that will reduce missed turns because they are generally disruptive, the degree, as you pointed out, is relative to the overall length of the game. True, in a 100 round game it doesn't really make a difference but what percentage of games actually make it this far?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re: Limit total number of missed turns allowed

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 am

Since the OP (dated 2012-07-09) did not specify much, this discussion is MERGED with the general topic of limiting the total number of missed turns allowed. Please check the OP (the one on page 1 of this thread) for more information about missed turn suggestions.
Colonel agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
darth emperor wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

I guess I just support anything that will reduce missed turns because they are generally disruptive, the degree, as you pointed out, is relative to the overall length of the game. True, in a 100 round game it doesn't really make a difference but what percentage of games actually make it this far?

Well, since the round limit, I'm guessing that the percentage has gone up (people start only deploying by round 50). But I think it should be based on the time that the game has started, like for example, if 3 months has passed, then you go again with three consecutive turns (or whatever). By round, is not a great idea, because is longer a game of 8 players in 7 rounds, than not 2 players with 10 rounds...

Postby chapcrap on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 pm

It seems like most people generally with some form of this, even with round limits being implemented. So, I'll go ahead and sticky this.

What type of parameters are fair?
  • A percentage of total rounds in the game?
  • Missing consecutive turns multiple times (2, 3, 4 times?) get a boot?
  • Missing a bunch of turns in a short amount of time (4 out of 7?, 6 of 10?)
  • Have a shorter leash for people who's overall turn taken percentage is lower?
  • Other options?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby clowncar on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm

a deadbeat out of the game should have all of his points for that game distributed evenly to all players that do not win that game and then he should get a 100 point penalty to his total points account. The winner should get 0 of his points.

This prevents point dumping/cheating/secret diplomacy and punishes the deadbeat without rewarding someone else.
Sergeant 1st Class clowncar

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 pm

I think darth's idea about the number depending on the round limit is interesting but just because a game has a designated round limit doesn't mean it will actually go that long...
My vote is that it be a total turns missed sort of thing as far as what get's you booted and the lower the number the better. I'm guessing less than 3 would not be agreeable for most people though.
The overall turn percentage thing seems a bit extreme to me though.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby rishaed on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm

chapcrap wrote:It seems like most people generally with some form of this, even with round limits being implemented. So, I'll go ahead and sticky this.

What type of parameters are fair?
  • A percentage of total rounds in the game?
    If nothing else this will help with long games, and will give some slight leniency instead of being kicked when you hit a certain number (maybe capping this number at let's say 10?
  • Missing consecutive turns multiple times (2, 3, 4 times?) get a boot?
  • Missing a bunch of turns in a short amount of time (4 out of 7?, 6 of 10?)
    I feel that this could be implemented rather easily ;) right now your numbers are just over 50%, I would like to say both at 50% and above% should be kicked I would be agreeable to this
  • Have a shorter leash for people who's overall turn taken percentage is lower?
    I don't support this one, I've had periods where I'd join a game expecting to be able to finish, but b/c it went longer than I thought and I no longer had internet I got kicked (dark past I know).
  • Other options?

Removing troops given from turn missed? (Slightly off Tangent)
When total turn percentage drops below lets say 75% and they have been playing for lets say 3 mo. have the system alert mods to check for intentional deadbeating.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby darth emperor on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:37 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I think darth's idea about the number depending on the round limit is interesting but just because a game has a designated round limit doesn't mean it will actually go that long...

:lol: I didn't say that. I said, that instead of how many rounds, has passed, we should look for how many months has passed.

The round limit, was a reply to your comment (of how many games reach to 100 rounds). Not to my idea. But I also think is interesting.

Postby bird45 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Let's put it to a vote most people on this site play a good game within the rules and take their turns so who are we protecting by not changing the rules to kick out players who miss three or more turns in a game? The players we are protecting are the shitty ones who skip multiple turns, this makes no sense. Since most of us pay for this site we should get to decide not just a couple of people. Vote damn it!
Lieutenant bird45

Previous

Return to Suggestions