Conquer Club

Question about Forum Code on CC - Internal Links

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Question about Forum Code on CC - Internal Links

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Ok. So I'm creating this long forum post, in which there are sub-topics in one single post. What BBCode do I need to use to make an internal link to somewhere in the post itself?

I've read that somewhere you use the [anchor] and [goto] BBCode tags, but I'm not sure what this site specifically uses, or if it even used those tags.

EDIT -
Jdsizzleslice wrote:Concise description:
  • Adding the [ancor] BBCode tag to let users use internal links on their own posts.

Specifics/Details:
  • Metsfanmax wrote:Those tags are not phpBB defaults. But in the admin control panel it's straightforward to replace an [anchor] tag with an HTML <a> equivalent, which is probably how this was done in whatever thread you saw this done in. You would need to request to bigWham that he add this custom BBCode.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will let users be able to create links in their post to link to another place in the same post. This is idealistic for long posts, like the CC Newsletter, or other long posts that users / moderators would like to make. Creating a post that has links to different parts of the post, so someone reading would not have to scroll through the entire long post.
Last edited by Jdsizzleslice on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Re: Question about Forum Code on CC - Internal Links

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Those tags are not phpBB defaults. But in the admin control panel it's straightforward to replace an [anchor] tag with an HTML <a> equivalent, which is probably how this was done in whatever thread you saw this done in. You would need to request to bigwham that he add this custom BBCode.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Those tags are not phpBB defaults. But in the admin control panel it's straightforward to replace an [anchor] tag with an HTML <a> equivalent, which is probably how this was done in whatever thread you saw this done in. You would need to request to bigwham that he add this custom BBCode.

You're right, it was done this way. It is an easy thing to do. How would I go about with the request?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby ronsizzle on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:10 am

how about you suck this d, and then realize you are one of 500,000 people on this proud site. get fucked, and dont worry about it.
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:57 am

ronc8649 wrote:how about you suck this d, and then realize you are one of 500,000 people on this proud site. get fucked, and dont worry about it.

Do you even know what I was talking about originally... ??
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby ronsizzle on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:25 am

something about you wanting BBC...i dont know all the craigslist slang, but i think i get that. talk to owen if thats the case.

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:27 am

ronc8649 wrote:something about you wanting BBC...i dont know all the craigslist slang, but i think i get that. talk to owen if thats the case.

Please. Don't post unless you know what you're talking about. Which you obviously don't. So don't post that crap in my topics.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby IcePack on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:38 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Those tags are not phpBB defaults. But in the admin control panel it's straightforward to replace an [anchor] tag with an HTML <a> equivalent, which is probably how this was done in whatever thread you saw this done in. You would need to request to bigwham that he add this custom BBCode.

You're right, it was done this way. It is an easy thing to do. How would I go about with the request?

Suggestions is still the best place to gather support etc so admin can see its desired, and teamcc can guide it thru channels or put it into a guaranteed suggestion etc

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:57 am

IcePack wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:

Suggestions is still the best place to gather support etc so admin can see its desired, and teamcc can guide it thru channels or put it into a guaranteed suggestion etc

I've already talked to bigWham about this. Maybe we should move this topic to Suggestions to get a better response from the community?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:26 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:I've already talked to bigWham about this. Maybe we should move this topic to Suggestions to get a better response from the community?

Done.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Can someone put together a description of the suggestion please. This is just gobbledegook at the moment.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Concise description:
  • Adding the [ancor] BBCode tag to let users use internal links on their own posts.

Specifics/Details:
  • Metsfanmax wrote:Those tags are not phpBB defaults. But in the admin control panel it's straightforward to replace an [anchor] tag with an HTML <a> equivalent, which is probably how this was done in whatever thread you saw this done in. You would need to request to bigWham that he add this custom BBCode.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This will let users be able to create links in their post to link to another place in the same post. This is idealistic for long posts, like the CC Newsletter, or other long posts that users / moderators would like to make. Creating a post that has links to different parts of the post, so someone reading would not have to scroll through the entire long post.

show
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby owenshooter on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

ok... there is no use for this... why? nobody reads the newsletter, it is forced into our boxes (i had to make ron giggle)... and as far as long posts go, fruitcake and MrChangsha no longer post, so this is again, not necessary... can you please show me one instance in your 1,200 posts that you have made, how this change would have benefited the post or whatever? didn't think so... i think ron is right on this one... let's leave craigslist to the craiglisters and CC to the neglected remaining users that are being abused and neglected by ownership... the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:56 pm

owenshooter wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

ok... there is no use for this... why? nobody reads the newsletter, it is forced into our boxes (i had to make ron giggle)... and as far as long posts go, fruitcake and MrChangsha no longer post, so this is again, not necessary... can you please show me one instance in your 1,200 posts that you have made, how this change would have benefited the post or whatever? didn't think so... i think ron is right on this one... let's leave craigslist to the craiglisters and CC to the neglected remaining users that are being abused and neglected by ownership... the black jesus has spoken...-Jésus noir

That's like you saying "Why do we have spoilers. No one uses them."

There are more uses for Internal Links than the general public... You forget we have Moderator Forums as well as Admin forums. This could also be used on any guidelines, and have like a Table of Contents, so one could go to the top, and go to a specific point in the post instead of having to find it themselves. The possibilities are very much present.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:10 pm

owen, if you know what you're doing, this change takes about 30 seconds in the ACP, so there honestly isn't much of a need to debate whether this is needed.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby ronsizzle on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:owen, if you know what you're doing, this change takes about 30 seconds in the ACP, so there honestly isn't much of a need to debate whether this is needed.

but is it? ask yourself that question.

Return to Suggestions