Conquer Club

[GO] Manual Territory Selection: Choose or Draft Territories

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby Splash_x on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:24 pm

lozzini wrote:if it does go past the suggested 24h, this would be a very unlucky for that player

also do you pick mone terratory and thats your turn? because then it would take 10 turns at least to pick terratories

i dont think it is workable, it would take too long to start a game, and it would be easier for multi's

maybe... Maybe not... then ppl can just choose random -.-
Sergeant 1st Class Splash_x

placement of armies or selection of territories

Postby morganzer on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Is it possible under game options for players to select areas to start in through a selection process
Sergeant 1st Class morganzer

Re: placement of armies or selection of territories

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm

morganzer wrote:Is it possible under game options for players to select areas to start in through a selection process

Nope, all starting placements are completely random.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby peanut72 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:41 pm

an option for some kind of a draft to pick terrorities would be an interesting idea. :)
Private peanut72

Postby Risktaker17 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Always random!
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby peanut72 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Risktaker17 wrote:Always random!
umm have you heard of: "Thinking outside the box" ??
Private peanut72

Postby Risktaker17 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:03 pm

It would be too difficult. Everyone would have to pick their territories which could take days. Slow down the start of the game
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby peanut72 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Risktaker17 wrote:It would be too difficult. Everyone would have to pick their territories which could take days. Slow down the start of the game
Maybe for 5 minute games only?
Private peanut72

Postby sfhbballnut on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:16 pm

already been suggested, under initial troop deployment if i'm not mistaken, think its pending
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby peanut72 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 am

sfhbballnut wrote:already been suggested, under initial troop deployment if i'm not mistaken, think its pending
kewl
Private peanut72

Option for sequential picking of territories?

Postby Statalyzer on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:24 pm

How about an option to, instead of randomly assigning territories, have people pick them in order as in the board game.

The problem with the board game was it was an advantage to place first, so how about a placement order that snakes back-and-forth, Catan-style? Ie a 4-player game would go 1234432112344321...

The current random system is okay, but sometimes one player gets in a better position than another before making a single meaningful choice, so why not have the option to go random or select for yourself?
New Recruit Statalyzer

Postby newline on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:01 pm

the only problrm i can see other then abuse is that it would take for ever to actually start the game, if one of the players can only get to a computer once a day you are looking at (Terr nums/ num of player) days befor the game actually starts.
So im gonan go with a NO!
Sergeant 1st Class newline

Postby Arcee on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:14 pm

i'm pretty sure this has been suggested a bunch of times. the answer is that it would take forever for the game to start.
Sergeant 1st Class Arcee

Postby Chadwick31 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 am

You could make it an option for only speed games, and give 30 seconds to place, or something like that.
Major Chadwick31

Re: Option for sequential picking of territories?

Postby greenoaks on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:24 am

Statalyzer wrote:How about an option to, instead of randomly assigning territories, have people pick them in order as in the board game.

The problem with the board game was it was an advantage to place first, so how about a placement order that snakes back-and-forth, Catan-style? Ie a 4-player game would go 1234432112344321...

The current random system is okay, but sometimes one player gets in a better position than another before making a single meaningful choice, so why not have the option to go random or select for yourself?

so what if 'sometimes' a player gets a better start than everyone else.
sometimes a player gets a worse start. it all averages out in the end.

so that would be a big fat NO from me.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:30 am

I think this would be viable as an option for realtime games and speed games. Admittedly, the idea as is wouldn't work for a regular 24hr turn game, but with creativity, I bet there's a way to let players pick territories.

Here's an example (not an actual recommendation, but just to show that there can be ways of tweaking this to make it work): From the start of the game, each player has 24 hours to rank all territories from first pick to last. Then the game simulates players taking turns to pick, based on that. (this wouldn't actually be desirable, because a-too complicated, and b-choices should be partially based on what's already been taken.)

This could be an interesting gameplay option, but it probably won't be, and shouldn't be, available for a while; lack's already got too many other good ideas to work on.
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

beggining army deployment

Postby slightly_mute on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:08 pm

i think there should be the option of deploying armies at the beginning. this would be a lengthy process, especially for non-speed games, but i think it's one of the key factors in strategic playing, and would be a very nice feature to choose.

also, it would be interesting to have a feature in the game, where you have assistance in maybe setting a common time that people would be able to play? i know this kind of defeats the purpose of speed games, and would maybe hinder the amount of premium memberships, but if the above was implimented, it would be nice if atleast when the game started, you could get the deployment out of the way.
Sergeant 1st Class slightly_mute

Re: beggining army deployment

Postby oggiss on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:22 pm

slightly_mute wrote:i think there should be the option of deploying armies at the beginning. this would be a lengthy process, especially for non-speed games, but i think it's one of the key factors in strategic playing, and would be a very nice feature to choose.

also, it would be interesting to have a feature in the game, where you have assistance in maybe setting a common time that people would be able to play? i know this kind of defeats the purpose of speed games, and would maybe hinder the amount of premium memberships, but if the above was implimented, it would be nice if atleast when the game started, you could get the deployment out of the way.

Don't know what you are suggestion here but get a premium membership that will surely help you out ;)
Record - 3582 p rank - 6 General
Major oggiss

Postby greenoaks on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:53 pm

slightly_mute wrote:also, it would be interesting to have a feature in the game, where you have assistance in maybe setting a common time that people would be able to play? i know this kind of defeats the purpose of speed games, and would maybe hinder the amount of premium memberships, but if the above was implimented, it would be nice if atleast when the game started, you could get the deployment out of the way.

do you have any other great ideas the owner could implement that would reduce the patronage of this site and its profitability.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby BaldAdonis on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:52 pm

slightly_mute wrote:this would be a lengthy process

It wouldn't have to be. If you want to select your territories instead of having them randomly placed, then just number the territories in the order you want, as though you were drafting them. If you want to decide your deployment instead of having 3 everywhere, just include a round 0 where everyone gets a day (or 5 minutes) to deploy, and can only see who owns what, not where they've deployed.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby slightly_mute on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:19 pm

well, i'm going off of the idea behind the board game. in the beginning, you take turns putting down one army. the idea is that you see where everyone else is placing their armies.
Sergeant 1st Class slightly_mute

Postby Soloman on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:15 am

slightly_mute wrote:well, i'm going off of the idea behind the board game. in the beginning, you take turns putting down one army. the idea is that you see where everyone else is placing their armies.
Would kill fog of war games. But I agree random means less strategy involved with the game.

Check out some of the other options floating around that create far more strategy then there currently is
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Postby greenoaks on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:06 pm

slightly_mute wrote:well, i'm going off of the idea behind the board game. in the beginning, you take turns putting down one army. the idea is that you see where everyone else is placing their armies.
so how many years would it take to start a casual 8 player game on world 2.1 if we all took turns to deploy some armies, see where others deploy, deploy more ourselves, etc ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby laci_mae on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 am

greenoaks wrote:
so how many years would it take to start a casual 8 player game on world 2.1 if we all took turns to deploy some armies, see where others deploy, deploy more ourselves, etc ?

So, do you have anything to say that's not sarcastic and bitter? I'm sure this new member who is honestly trying to contribute to the site and forum will feel encouraged to upgrade to a premium membership in response to your back-handed comments.

LMR
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby greenoaks on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:40 am

laci_mae wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

So, do you have anything to say that's not sarcastic and bitter? I'm sure this new member who is honestly trying to contribute to the site and forum will feel encouraged to upgrade to a premium membership in response to your back-handed comments.

LMR
plenty.

a knight would beat a samurai easily.
hot and sexy is the best thread ever.
klobber is a tool.

but back on topic, if slightly_mute can't handle his suggestions getting shot down he should remain totally mute.
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions