Conquer Club

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Choose Army Color At Start *To-Do*

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sun May 23, 2010 8:48 pm

b00kw0rm wrote:I really want to see this implemented. I want my green armies.

Same here! :)
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri May 28, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm kinda split on the choosing your own colour thing. I think it could be nice to have a choice, however I could see it really messing with me while playing games, since I've gotten so used to how the colour order is.

I wonder if maybe it would be possible to choose which position you join in? Kinda like how you could pick which team you join for the team games? This way you could have some choice, everything would stay the same, and I believe it should be pretty easy to implement as well?
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri May 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Sticky'd
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Army of GOD on Fri May 28, 2010 9:21 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:I'm kinda split on the choosing your own colour thing. I think it could be nice to have a choice, however I could see it really messing with me while playing games, since I've gotten so used to how the colour order is.

I wonder if maybe it would be possible to choose which position you join in? Kinda like how you could pick which team you join for the team games? This way you could have some choice, everything would stay the same, and I believe it should be pretty easy to implement as well?

Yea. I assumed it would be like that.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby jefjef on Fri May 28, 2010 9:43 pm

jefjef wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Is this really "to-do"? It's a great suggestion. I'm sick and tired of not being pink.

You'll always be pink to us AoG!

Good idea.

NO. Sorry. Had to flip flop. I do like having the same color progression. Don't want to have to search to see who follows who.

Although AoG should always be pink.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Re: Choose Army Color At Start ~Stickied/Last Call TFO~

Postby AgentSmith88 on Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 pm

love the idea. I'm sure jrh is sick of me not joining his tourney games because I don't want to be red! :?
king sam wrote:quit facebook stalking me... and Im a sailor all I do is drunk, cuss and make illegitimate kids when Im away from CC

dont sig that
Captain AgentSmith88

Postby Army of GOD on Sat May 29, 2010 3:17 am

jefjef wrote:
jefjef wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Is this really "to-do"? It's a great suggestion. I'm sick and tired of not being pink.

Good idea.

NO. Sorry. Had to flip flop. I do like having the same color progression. Don't want to have to search to see who follows who.

Well, it can remain the same in order.

Like, let's say there's a five player game. One person chooses Red, one Orange one Blue, me Pink and one Gray. The order remains the same as if it would...except the unchosen colors are just skipped over. So it'd go Red, Blue, Pink, Orange, Gray and back again. The order of the turns wouldn't depend on who signs up the quickest, but by what color you choose.

That seems to make sense to me. Anyone see anything wrong with it?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby jefjef on Sat May 29, 2010 3:34 am

Army of GOD wrote:
jefjef wrote:
jefjef wrote:

Good idea.

Like, let's say there's a five player game. One person chooses Red, one Orange one Blue, me Pink and one Gray. The order remains the same as if it would...except the unchosen colors are just skipped over. So it'd go Red, Blue, Pink, Orange, Gray and back again. The order of the turns wouldn't depend on who signs up the quickest, but by what color you choose.

Yes. Team game sequence...
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Army of GOD on Sat May 29, 2010 3:44 am

I guess they'd have to keep the color grouping the same then.

If you and I were on a doubles team yefyef (lolololololol. like I'd ever want you on my team) and we wanted to join a 2-team doubles game, obviously I'm Pink so that would mean you'd have to be Robin Egg Blue. It doesn't allow for complete freedom of selection, but it's a good middle ground.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat May 29, 2010 12:52 pm

I would support the idea as long as the colour sequence stayed the same. Otherwise I would likely find it way too confusing. If they stayed the same, then it would be just like having an 8 player doubles game and being able to join whichever team you wanted in order to be the colour you wanted. Simple to implement and doesn't mess with anyone's minds :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby porkenbeans on Sat May 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
jefjef wrote:
jefjef wrote:

Good idea.

Yes, I see a big thing wrong with this idea.
All this really does, is help the multi-cheaters to set up their games better. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat May 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Okay... i read that over 3 times, and still can't figure out how it easier for the Multi Cheaters... O.o

And you can't always bring up that case. Assassin and Terminator were PRIME cases for the multi cheaters, yet they were still implemented
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby jesusfreak16 on Sat May 29, 2010 1:42 pm

I definately would support this if the color turn order stayed the same. =D>
Captain jesusfreak16

Postby porkenbeans on Sat May 29, 2010 1:45 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:Okay... i read that over 3 times, and still can't figure out how it easier for the Multi Cheaters... O.o

And you can't always bring up that case. Assassin and Terminator were PRIME cases for the multi cheaters, yet they were still implemented
The cheater can assure that he follows his multi.

Term. and Ass. were just too cool at the time, and it was decided, that they must be adopted nevertheless.

This is a pretty cool idea too, but do you think that it is really worth implementing, if it gives more weapons to the Cheaters ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat May 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Well, almost any suggestion gives new weapons to cheaters. Obvious ones that get overabused, like Resign Button, are obviously gone for good.

And my poor little mind isn't functioning at the moment lol so don't try to explain again. Went on 6 hours sleep, and spent 2 and a half hours earlier merging about 20-30 threads into the Team Assassin/Term thread, and about 50-100 resign/forfeit/Surrender suggs into the massive Reject pile. I'll come back later and reread it
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby porkenbeans on Sat May 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Upon further thought, I have realized that Cheaters can already choose their order. I am the one that needs some sleep. :P :lol:

...carry on. 8-)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby lackattack on Mon May 31, 2010 5:29 pm

I agree that colour should still match order in the player listings.

I would go with one of these solutions:

1) You choose a favourite colour on Game Settings (or order them by preference) and the game will shuffle the player order during initialization. The problem is that this won't work great for team games (though we can shuffle the order of teams and within the team).

2) Have separate join links for each slot, and possibly a new field on start to select a colour or take preference from Game Settings. The problem is that it still encourages creating vs joining, because creator has the pick of the colours. Encouraging people to join instead of create will decrease game fill times.

Now that I hae typed this out I think I prefer (1) :)
Sergeant lackattack

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon May 31, 2010 5:46 pm

8-[ I prefer 2.

Could you add a section either under the Control Panel or Game Settings for Army Color? Then you could have players pick their favorites for Singles, Doubles (For 2v2, 2v2v2, 2v2v2v2), Triples, and Quads. Then if the 12 Player games gets implemented, you could simply add in the 3v3v3 and 3v3v3v3 options for Triples, and the 4v4v4 Option for Quads

Ex.

Favorite Army Color (Singles) : [insert scroll bar with Army colors]

Favorite Army Colors (Doubles 2v2) : [insert scroll bar with Army colors]

Favorite Army Colors (Doubles 2v2v2) : [insert scroll bar with Army colors]

Favorite Army Colors (Doubles 2v2v2v2) : [insert scroll bar with Army colors]

Favorite Army Colors (Trips) : [insert scroll bar with Army colors]

Favorite Army Colors (Quads) : [insert scroll bar with Army colors]

This probably has loopholes, but my mind isn't working at max capacity
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Army of GOD on Mon May 31, 2010 6:58 pm

I like 2 better. Yea, people would rather join than create, but I'm sure there are people who don't really care about that.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Mon May 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Personally I would suggest option 2. Having a colour preference in game settings doesn't guarantee that a player will get that colour and if someone's picky, then maybe it could be a problem for them. Personally I don't care either way, but I could see it being an issue for some others maybe.

I don't know that there would be a way to pick second choice, third choice, etc. with option 1. At least with option 2 you can pick yourself which colour you're going to get. If you have a concern for it encouraging creating games, then why not just leave it where the person who creates the game is red all the time, just like how it is with team games now. This way if that person who's picky is looking to join or create a game, they'll go join a game with their colour available.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby b00kw0rm on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 am

What color I get makes absolutely no difference whether I join a game or create it. So what if I get yellow instead of red? It's just a color and it doesn't affect gameplay in the least. With that said, I definitely prefer choice 2.
My Tournaments:
Age of Conquerors [WINNER: br4nd0n2002]
Team Clash [WINNERS: bfunny27 & DBandit70]
Sibling Rivalry [ONGOING]
Private b00kw0rm

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:15 pm

b00kw0rm wrote:What color I get makes absolutely no difference whether I join a game or create it. So what if I get yellow instead of red? It's just a color and it doesn't affect gameplay in the least. With that said, I definitely prefer choice 2.
I am with book on the fact that color makes no difference to me. However, I can see why it may be helpful to some. If you for instance like to play 20 or so games on the same map at the same time, then I could see how always having the same color could be of help.

But, with all of the other good suggs waiting to be addressed and/or implemented, you have got to ask yourself, is this really that necessary ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:42 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
b00kw0rm wrote:What color I get makes absolutely no difference whether I join a game or create it. So what if I get yellow instead of red? It's just a color and it doesn't affect gameplay in the least. With that said, I definitely prefer choice 2.
I am with book on the fact that color makes no difference to me. However, I can see why it may be helpful to some. If you for instance like to play 20 or so games on the same map at the same time, then I could see how always having the same color could be of help.

But, with all of the other good suggs waiting to be addressed and/or implemented, you have got to ask yourself, is this really that necessary ?

I would think that it should be a lower priority update. Though that being said, it strikes me as the kind of update that would be pretty easy to make and require little effort or time, unlike many of the much better updates that are lined up. I see it was one of those minor updates/tweaks that gets listed and put in with the (hopefully at least monthly now) much nicer major updates.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Well, remember. We now have a Web Developer, so more updates should be coming out then before
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:42 am

Obviously isn't not "necessary", but it'll really increase the happiness of the general CC user methinks. And that's always a good thing.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions