Conquer Club

[GP] Surrender/Resign/Forfeit Button

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby lackattack on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:07 am

I definetely don't want to bring back surrendering, but I think a "Skip X Turns" button could work if you want to go an vacation or just don't want to play a round.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby madeinchinain85 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:59 pm

skip x turns might work for people who just want to build up armies, but for people on vacation a skip all turns for the next x hours would probably work better
M@de in China
Corporal 1st Class madeinchinain85

Surrender button.

Postby Xtra on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:14 pm

I think thwere should be a surrender button taht you can click on if you know you'll lose. Any remaining territories will turn neutral, and you'll still lose the same number of points. It's just a way so people that will lose can stop worrying about taht game and move on to the next one.
Cadet Xtra

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:28 pm

It existed already, but people were abusing, using it to prevent an enemy of getting cards, etc...
Major Marvaddin

Postby Tubby Rower on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:16 am

Why not give the "nuetral" player cards from the surrenders?
Sergeant 1st Class Tubby Rower

Postby niMic on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:14 pm

How about effectivly booting that player from the game, but still have his color on the territories and his cards remaining? That way, he can go on to play another game, and whoever wanted to take his cards can do so.
General niMic

Postby Jota on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:50 pm

That seems like a logical solution to me. As far as the other players are concerned, it'd be exactly the same as if that person just stopped taking turns. The only differences would be that A) they wouldn't be holding up the game by letting the round time out every time, and B) it wouldn't be taking up a space in their list of active games anymore.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Surrender Button

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:18 pm

So there's a really great thread going on here...
:arrow: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

the back story can be found here...
:arrow: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156

It seems that the general consensus of those posting in these two threads is:

There should be a surrender button. When you hit it, you forfeit the game. Your armies stay the same color, and your cards are not lost, but still able to be taken by whoever conquers the remainder of your lost armies.

We took out the surrender button in the first place because people were abusing it, but it seems that now that it's gone, there are more deadbeats.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby moz976 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:23 pm

Would a person who surrenders still lose points?
Private moz976

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:31 pm

To me, the surrender buttons seems to support poor sportsmanship. If you are losing in a game of baseball, soccer, sorry, yahtzee, anything...you don't just quit. It's frowned upon there and should be frowned upon here. I've been in a few games already where I have been screwed over early on, but still kept playing on the off chance something went my way. I do see the advantages of the surrender options, getting people out of the games they don't want to play, lessening flaming etc. Also allowing the person to get into more fun games where they have a chance, but sheesh...it's RISK. You've got to take the chance that you are going to get your rear handed to you.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby moz976 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:38 pm

I agree with Andy I have been beaten down to one man only to come back and win the game.
I won't be using the surrender button if it ever comes back but if it was brought back it might help with the ever present deadbeat issue.
Private moz976

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Yes, if you surrender, you still lose points.

Andy, don't think of it so much as poor sportsmanship... I prefer to think of it as if you were playing a game of Poker, and you fold, because you know you're not going to win.

Now, me personally, I never used the Surrender button when it was an option, but I do know some people who did use it and are still playing on the site today. I just think that it was a good idea to begin with that needed a bit of tweaking.

Besides, if lack brings it back, and it turns out to be a disaster, he can always jsut take it out again.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I see what you are getting at Grim, but folding seems more like a forfeit of a particular round rather than the whole game. But I guess it'd be worth a shot to implement it again, but I'm still not for it.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby lackattack on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:12 pm

I'm concerned that if we bring back the surrender button people will use it to go game hopping. Conquer Club isn't like watching T.V. and flipping the channel when you're bored. You are playing games with real people who want to see some action. The fact that a game consumes one of your 4 precious spots is an incentive to play competitively, which makes CC more fun for everyone. That's my theory, at least.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby mikey6rocker on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:33 pm

i agree, but if you know you will loose and it is your last couple turns, you should be able to surrender and get it off your 4 game chart. when you know you are going to loose there is no point in having the game take space. especially when your opponent is taking very long between turns and taking to long to eliminate you already.
Private mikey6rocker

Postby zorba_ca on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:07 pm

If you want a surrender button move to France.

Once you are in a game you should be in a game till the end. If a player chooses not to play they should be a deadbeat after 3 rounds (same as now), but here are my two amendments:

1. The game should not come off the player's list (i.e. until the player is eliminated it should count as an active game) so it is a penalty on a player for not playing out his/her game; and

2. The player's cards should still remain up for grabs. The idea about the cards going to the "neutral" player is not bad, it needs some fine tuning. For example, what would happen if two players become deadbeats? Does the nuetral player get both of their cards? Maybe the better suggestion was to keep the colours, and when you eliminate that colour you get the cards.
Major zorba_ca

Postby Fangz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 pm

I agree.

Also, if all surviving players but one have surrendered, the game should end automatically.
Private Fangz

Postby zorba_ca on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:20 am

Since there are two active threads about this topic I'm reposting my response from the other thread:

If you want a surrender button move to France.

Once you are in a game you should be in a game till the end. If a player chooses not to play they should be a deadbeat after 3 rounds (same as now), but here are my two amendments:

1. The game should not come off the player's list (i.e. until the player is eliminated it should count as an active game) so it is a penalty on a player for not playing out his/her game; and

2. The player's cards should still remain up for grabs. The idea about the cards going to the "neutral" player is not bad, it needs some fine tuning. For example, what would happen if two players become deadbeats? Does the nuetral player get both of their cards? Maybe the better suggestion was to keep the colours, and when you eliminate that colour you get the cards.
Major zorba_ca

Postby Aladriel on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:23 am

You know what I have noticed? People who join a game, see where their men are positioned, and then abandon the game when they don't like what they see. I've even seen this happen during team games! Then, of course, the rest of us have to wait for 24 hours for 3 days till this person gets kicked out. They don't get penalized because they are a deadbeat. But, their partner gets royally hosed. Can we do anything about those people???
Private Aladriel

Postby Mjolnirs on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:38 am

Aladriel wrote:You know what I have noticed? People who join a game, see where their men are positioned, and then abandon the game when they don't like what they see. I've even seen this happen during team games! Then, of course, the rest of us have to wait for 24 hours for 3 days till this person gets kicked out. They don't get penalized because they are a deadbeat. But, their partner gets royally hosed. Can we do anything about those people???

I've seen something along these lines in the last few days. I was in a game where one player was down to 1 army on 1 country. Rather than make a play so the game could move on, he made us all sit for 24 hours before someone could eliminate him.
Sergeant 1st Class Mjolnirs

Postby colin cool on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:56 pm

if people surrender in the first three rounds they should lose more points. they could either deadbeat like they would or lose more points so that might help stop the game hopping
Cook colin cool

"End game" option

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:46 pm

I think an option to prematurely end games might be a nice option, like, if one player could propose a draw or something of that nature. I'm not sure if or how it might be abused, but i think it could definitely be used to save some people some trouble. Me for instance :D .
I jumped into a game with one opening hoping to just get started right away, and where i found myself was in a game with three friends who were waiting for their fourth, but alas, i found my way there before the lost friend. Because i was not the desired competitor, my three opponents decided to not play at all, and therefore not take their turns, so i'm left with a game slot taken by one in which i can hardly play. Hopefully my plan to take one of them out before going deadbeat comes to pass though :lol: .
Back to the point, if they didn't want to play, and an end game option existed, i'd be brimming with action packed conquering, and not settling for a mesely three games. I guess i could just get a premium membership...but thats beside the point.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Banana Stomper on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Well, i settled my problem. I bought a premium membership. Lack, this site rocks. But..i still think the end game option might be a decent idea. And my chances of getting a guy out before he goes deadbeat are looking good.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby .SCuD. on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:33 am

I like the idea of this, especially for large deadbeat games.

A game can of course be ended only if all remaining players agree... all scores remain unaffected (so even if you went out early you lose no points)

I played a game a few days back where 2 players went deadbeat early in a 5 person game and I would have liked to end it early. Thankfully I won, but the principle remains the same.

Also a post on deadbeating to follow...
Brigadier .SCuD.

Leaving a game partway through.

Postby Lord Paradise on Sat May 06, 2006 9:18 am

I know it's kinda stupid that I want to, but aside from deadbeating till I'm eliminated, can't I ditch my fourth game for a new one?
Private Lord Paradise

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions