Conquer Club

[GL] Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Game History

Postby jammyjames on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 am

I would not mind the TFO super highly recognised seal of approval to stamp all over this sugg :)
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby ender516 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:55 am

As I understand it, the biggest stumbling block for Game Log 2.0 (or at least, the level of detail required to replay a game) is the enormous amount of data storage. Recording every action would take a lot of space -- much more than the space now required to summarize dice results.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby jammyjames on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 pm

maybe only allow game replay to be stored for 1 week's worth..

Or each user can store up to a maximum of 3 games past 1 week after the game has been completed...

Postby VicFontaine on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 am

I do like this....But do we really want people to be able to learn our strategies? lol :)
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby jammyjames on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 pm

It would allow for clan's to teach not only by verbal but by allowing players to see the actual game in discussion.

This would help massively with the SoC.

Postby littlejerry on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
JoshyBoy wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
JoshyBoy wrote:I'm giving this the JoshyBoy Seal of Approval., or JSA for short. :ugeek:

With the JSA, how is this not already implemented?

Because it's missing the TFO Seal of Approval and the lackattack seal of approval :P

Sad bastards, don't you realise that my seal of approval is recognised in over 47 countries?!?

Mine's recognized in 69 countries.

But I add my Newbie Stamp to the JSA seal! 8-)
And yes, I've been trying new maps and settings (while my points dive), and a 1 to 7 day replay would definitely be a big help! ;)
Corporal 1st Class littlejerry

Postby jefjef on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:05 pm

Evil Semp wrote:I would love to see this. It would make part of my job easier.

This reason, if CC is truly interested in fair honest play, is enough to implement this. They could even just have the history expire after like 6 months to keep server space freed up.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby chapcrap on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:40 pm

jefjef wrote:
Evil Semp wrote:I would love to see this. It would make part of my job easier.

This reason, if CC is truly interested in fair honest play, is enough to implement this. They could even just have the history expire after like 6 months to keep server space freed up.

Or 2-3 months. We don't go back and punish that far back anyway.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Herbas on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:28 am

ender516 wrote:As I understand it, the biggest stumbling block for Game Log 2.0 (or at least, the level of detail required to replay a game) is the enormous amount of data storage. Recording every action would take a lot of space -- much more than the space now required to summarize dice results.

I don't think that it needs much extra space when:
1) all dice rolls are already saved in "My dice stats" (exact dice rolls, your and particular opponent's matchups, etc.);
2) non-dice info is already saved in the current game log.

What else is needed in addition to such information in order to have a replay?
Colonel Herbas

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:57 am

Herbas wrote:
ender516 wrote:As I understand it, the biggest stumbling block for Game Log 2.0 (or at least, the level of detail required to replay a game) is the enormous amount of data storage. Recording every action would take a lot of space -- much more than the space now required to summarize dice results.

I don't think that it needs much extra space when:
1) all dice rolls are already saved in "My dice stats" (exact dice rolls, your and particular opponent's matchups, etc.);
2) non-dice info is already saved in the current game log.

What else is needed in addition to such information in order to have a replay?

Collecting dice statistics is just a matter of accumulating counts of how many rolls are wins and how many are losses, and that might be enough to get things done, if we are willing to look at generic representations of dice rolls (e.g. a 2 troop win in a 3 v 2 roll, or a 1 troop loss in a 2 v 1). But this information is recorded on a per-player basis, not a per-game basis, and it is a summary, not a complete record. Also, to recreate a game action, you have to record which territories were involved, and for complete recreation of the game, the precise order of the attacks. There might be some savings if only net effects of a turn were recorded, that is, the change in the number of troops on each territory over the course of one player's turn, but I would much prefer to see which attack an opponent pressed first, and when he or she stopped and changed tactics.

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Would be beautiful!

A bit technically challenging, I suspect, but definitely a beautiful feature to have.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby imacamper on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:20 pm

+1 As an SoC instructor, this would really help.
Major imacamper

Postby sempaispellcheck on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:58 pm

This is a great idea. I'm all for it, twice over.

To (attempt to) answer the question of data storage, maybe you could allow game replays to be exported, so players could save replays of games on their computers and play them as movies? That way, game replays would only have to be stored for a week, max.

Just a suggestion.
Last edited by sempaispellcheck on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:52 pm

If the replay information were to be sent in a PM, the storage problem would tend to be self limiting. The server could keep it available on request until the game was archived. But I do like the idea of an exportable format. A game review page could let you replay games that were still on the system, or in a PM or forum post, or from an exported file, possibly by direct access on your system, or by uploading.

Time Lapse Game history

Postby jfktolax on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:41 pm

I would like to see an option where I can view the game history by a series of still pictures, run chronologically, taken once a round. I would be able to see every players troops and watch the progression of the game after it is over.

Mind you, a still picture of the map NOT after each individual turn, just at the beginning of each round. You would be able to watch the ebb and flow of the game and learn the pressure points of each map.

I don't know about making it available for the general public to view EVERY game ever fought, but at least for the players in the game. Maybe every game for the entire community, I don't know, but it would be a GREAT learning tool, and strategy analysis for future games.

Long time member, sometimes premium, sometimes not.

Peace
Major jfktolax

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Merged
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Video Replay

Postby tidalsemaj on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 am

If a video replay of the Conquer Cup Finals could be made in a player that allows you to adjust the replay speed, with or with out the text, would be awesome.
The major games on the site could be publicized on the site and up the skill of the game for those that like to learn from expert strategies, like watching the world poker tournaments.
The advertising of big games and prizes that could ensue after these games can be viewed could lead to a surge of volume to the site.
Sergeant 1st Class tidalsemaj

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 am

Merged
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby jammyjames on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Two more topic's on the same suggestion - It would be nice if more feedback could be provided. I think this could be achieved and would be a great addition to the site.. (Also one up's the site on other risk based strategy games) ;)

Postby GoranZ on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:50 pm

maybe it would be enough if we can see only the turns of the players, similar to making screenshots with BOB from every player turns manually... some of the code is already implemented there so it can be reused for this idea.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby jfktolax on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Thank you for merging my suggestion with Game History.

Regarding each persons strategy, you would NOT have to put the names of each player available to public, just colors.

Peace
Major jfktolax

GAME REWIND

Postby ziggyy77 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I know this is a long shot suggestion and probably would take a lot of work to even create but maybe after a game to have the ability to rewind the map to see how one player goes about attacking.

I know there is a game rewind in the game summary and it shows everything after a fog of war game but sometimes its hard to plot out exactly how a player goes about during the game. Maybe something like two buttons such as < and > to move from round to round after a game ends to see how the map looked each turn.

I know its a long shot but worth putting it out there.
Corporal 1st Class ziggyy77

Re: GAME REWIND

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm

This has been suggested many times. Personally, I don't people knowing my strategy for a certain map.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby mjs28 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 am

great idea. in play too. easier than snapshots and looking through log
Lieutenant mjs28

Postby spiesr on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:07 am

This has been on the to-do list for years. However, it is not possible to implement it until the game log is updated to include more information. (Failed attacks, how many armies are lost in every battle...)
Captain spiesr

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions