Conquer Club

[GO] Unrated, Unranked, or No Points Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: friendlies

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm

I agree, I think it would be a good addition to the site.. The only problem I can see with it, is if someone made it to conqueror and then stopped playing games besides 'friendly' games... but even then I dont see much of a problem with it..
What are lack's reasons for denying it?
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby ljex on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

iamkoolerthanu wrote:I agree, I think it would be a good addition to the site.. The only problem I can see with it, is if someone made it to conqueror and then stopped playing games besides 'friendly' games... but even then I dont see much of a problem with it..
What are lack's reasons for denying it?

The idea is that there is a learning curve where you cant become an expert at a map and settings without losing a few points along the way while your are learning the strategy of a particular set of game settings.
Major ljex

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Ohhh, ok.. that makes a little more sense when you look at it that way lol.

Postby nippersean on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Why don't you just play the game and not worry about your precious points - what's the problem?
Everybody loses as part of their learning curve - you want it for free points?
Easy set up a multi...............
Brigadier nippersean

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 pm

nippersean wrote:Why don't you just play the game and not worry about your precious points - what's the problem?
Everybody loses as part of their learning curve - you want it for free points?
Easy set up a multi...............

To many players, playing the game IS worrying about points, seeing how high you can rack up your points, because the higher your points, the better you're skill... that is exactly what playing the game is, at least in many players minds. I don't mind losing points, but I love getting them ;)

practice games

Postby wreckead on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Hows about making it possible to play practice games. either against bots or even other players but preferably bots:

include an option when starting a game to play it as a practise game which will not affect your rank/ratings in any way:

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
    will encourage more people to try new or different maps rather than just sticking to the same old ones as most of us do
will help cut down the games where people are new to the map and can possibly mess up other peoples games

what yas think?
Colonel wreckead

Re: practice games

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm

I would love this idea, because I am afraid of playing on complex maps for fear of not knowing how, and only being able to play against players that are expert at the map...

Postby drunkmonkey on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

Stop worrying about your rating.

Problem solved.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby wreckead on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:03 pm

couldnt care less about it. not a problem just a suggestion.

heres another:

stop spamming posts with useless dribble, not what this is for.
Colonel wreckead

Postby wreckead on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 pm

iamkoolerthanu wrote:I would love this idea, because I am afraid of playing on complex maps for fear of not knowing how, and only being able to play against players that are expert at the map...

this is exactly what i mean, some of the more complex maps you just have no chance to learn.

not anymore useul comments on ere im amazed
Colonel wreckead

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 am

drunkmonkey wrote:Stop worrying about your rating.

Problem solved.

I wouldnt care if I had to play a complex map a few times and lose a few points in order to learn it. Its the fact that with the really complex maps, the only people that play them are really high ranked players that are experts on the map, therefor I am not going to learn the map, because I am getting destroyed by an advanced player... But if there were practice games, I would have a much better chance of being able to play against someone with the same skill as me on that map.

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:03 am

i would love it
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Postby gregory7 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:24 am

i like it
Lieutenant gregory7

Postby Fascisti on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:20 pm

I love complex maps, but sometimes they aren't as clear as they should be. A practice run through could really help before trying your hand against others.
Cook Fascisti

Postby Orange-Idaho-Dog on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 pm

I'll tell you this much now, from a coding perspective, although I'm not big on php, Having a bot simulate a human player to a T would be nearly impossible. You could make it attack, or suicide basically until it ran out of attacking troops or make it do something specific. But as far as having a bot act like a human player in knowing when to stop attacking, where to fortify and all would be rather difficult.

Something to consider, though, would be to setup some sort of Campaign or Tutorial on the tougher maps that you could play with no point alteration, or eventually all of the maps. It would essentially be taking over what the Society of the Cooks handle, It would show new players the ropes.

This way you could make the neutral player do exactly what you want it to do, every time.
Looking for a clan? Click here to send me a PM and find out how to join The Underworld! *Selective Recruitment*
Sergeant 1st Class Orange-Idaho-Dog

Postby squishyg on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:56 pm

the way i've learned how to play complex maps is by playing real people. in return, i offer new players friendly games on maps i know really well. yes, at first when i joined cc, i was hoping to just find a place to play bots, but after a few games i really appreciated the human element. plus won't bots kick your ass harder than a brig?
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby wreckead on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Orange-Idaho-Dog wrote:I'll tell you this much now, from a coding perspective, although I'm not big on php, Having a bot simulate a human player to a T would be nearly impossible. You could make it attack, or suicide basically until it ran out of attacking troops or make it do something specific. But as far as having a bot act like a human player in knowing when to stop attacking, where to fortify and all would be rather difficult.

Something to consider, though, would be to setup some sort of Campaign or Tutorial on the tougher maps that you could play with no point alteration, or eventually all of the maps. It would essentially be taking over what the Society of the Cooks handle, It would show new players the ropes.

This way you could make the neutral player do exactly what you want it to do, every time.

no need to simulate humans then just have it was one of the options when you set up game anyone can join same as usual but no points change hands. people can just join so they can learn or practice different tactics.

i know there are many maps i would love to try but they just seem too hard to play at first, infact you could easily screw up other more experienced players by playing the map all wrong, seen that happen many times...
Colonel wreckead

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 pm

iamkoolerthanu wrote:

Problem solved.

I wouldnt care if I had to play a complex map a few times and lose a few points in order to learn it. Its the fact that with the really complex maps, the only people that play them are really high ranked players that are experts on the map, therefor I am not going to learn the map, because I am getting destroyed by an advanced player... But if there were practice games, I would have a much better chance of being able to play against someone with the same skill as me on that map.

Which is why your rank is low. The absolute BEST way is to play experts on a map and see what type of strategy they use.

Logic:
1. if you don't play experts, you won't see the best strategy for the map
2. if you don't see the best strategy for the map, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself
3. if you can figure it out for yourself, you wouldn't be complaining about "complex" maps. (honestly... ABSOLUTELY NO MAP on CC should take more than 3 games to learn = one 2 player game, one multiplayer standard, one team game)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby wreckead on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 am

The Neon Peon wrote:
iamkoolerthanu wrote:

Problem solved.

Which is why your rank is low. The absolute BEST way is to play experts on a map and see what type of strategy they use.

Logic:
2. if you don't see the best strategy for the map, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself
3. if you can figure it out for yourself, you wouldn't be complaining about "complex" maps. (honestly... ABSOLUTELY NO MAP on CC should take more than 3 games to learn = one 2 player game, one multiplayer standard, one team game)

so you enjoy map noobs playing with you and totally screwing up your game because they try to do or get somewhere which is wrong?
Colonel wreckead

Postby eddie2 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 am

sorry but like i was told this is not going to happen as has been brought up quite a few times view thread http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=107831&p=2425753&hilit=friendlies#p2425753
Major eddie2

Postby Jatekos on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:53 am

I think it would be useful to have practice games, as a limited option.

It would definetely increase the number of players on more difficult maps, as people would be more willing to try new maps without the fear of losing points.

If it was a limited option, then it would have much more advantages than disadvantages.
E.g. make it to:
- allow playing 1 practice map at a time for a player,
- allow playing on maps on which the player has not played before,
- not count towards medals or points.

Having more experienced (or less clueless) players playing on more maps would not hurt anyone. It would only increase the activity on difficult maps and could be a useful, but limited option.
Major Jatekos

Postby BoganGod on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Invest your time, invest your points. There is no substitute for experience. Practice games would not be taken seriously, if played against a bot(besides the about of work required to program it) would be a waste of time, as bot would be predictable..... Lulling the poor fool playing practice games obsessively like a teenage boy with a Victoria Secrets Catalog into a false sense of competency.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Jatekos on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:18 am

There is no need for bots or catalogs either.
Practice games would work like free samples of food given in shops. You can have a free (point-free) taste of something that you may not have tried normally. The reason is, that producers can expect an increased demand in their products (their maps) later, because part of the people (players) who tried out the free samples will realize that they like the product (map) and will buy it (play on the maps) afterwards.
Again, it could be a limited feature (e.g. one practice game on a week, maybe max one game / map), which would be unlikely to create a false sense of competency, but would generate interest in difficult maps and enable to create friendly games. I have no doubt that the overwhelming majority of people would like it and if used as a limited option, it would not create any issues.
Major Jatekos

Postby wreckead on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm

BoganGod wrote:Invest your time, invest your points. There is no substitute for experience. Practice games would not be taken seriously, if played against a bot(besides the about of work required to program it) would be a waste of time, as bot would be predictable..... Lulling the poor fool playing practice games obsessively like a teenage boy with a Victoria Secrets Catalog into a false sense of competency.

as i said before, no bots needed. just an option to make game practice and for no points but still be for real players. this would be very easy to code. and very useful to not have total noobs on more complicated maps cockin up the game :lol:
Colonel wreckead

Postby Sebster10 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:29 am

The Neon Peon wrote:
iamkoolerthanu wrote:

Problem solved.

Logic:

I find this amusing.
Major Sebster10

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions