Change email

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Change email

Postby a.sub on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Concise description:
  • In Order to change the email of an account in the control panel one must get approval from an email sent to the original email

Specifics:
  • This verification can be worked around if they submit an eticket

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • now if an account is used with out permission or even if abused while sitting, the damage done is minimalized as they would have to hack their email to abuse it.
User avatar
Cadet a.sub
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 am
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:49 pm

This may necessitate a phpbb MOD or hack because I'm unsure whether it's already a setting in the admin control panel. You may want to check on their site to see if a MOD has already been written.
Image
User avatar
Captain Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 8633
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: Change email

Postby a.sub on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 am

Night Strike wrote:This may necessitate a phpbb MOD or hack because I'm unsure whether it's already a setting in the admin control panel. You may want to check on their site to see if a MOD has already been written.

im afraid im un knowledgeable with these types of things
User avatar
Cadet a.sub
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 am
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby lackattack on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am

This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.
User avatar
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:34 pm
Location: Montreal, QC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Re: Change email

Postby a.sub on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:26 pm

lackattack wrote:This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.

true, but it adds a layer of protection to those who are having a sitter. maybe make it a temporary option?
you can chose to make your email solid and un changeable for X number of day.
So if their email does change it that time they just have to wait a bit. but at the same time when they have a sitter they can add this layer of protection.
User avatar
Cadet a.sub
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 am
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:54 am

a.sub wrote:
lackattack wrote:This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.

true, but it adds a layer of protection to those who are having a sitter. maybe make it a temporary option?


There was a suggestion about user to set a list of allowed account sitters in their settings that would give those sitters the right to take ones turns but not access to ones account (settings, PMs, posting on the forums and so on). IMO this would be much better as it actually solves the problem instead of just putting a small patch on one of the issues.
User avatar
Lieutenant Thezzaruz
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: OTF most of the time.
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Change email

Postby a.sub on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:
a.sub wrote:
lackattack wrote:This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.

true, but it adds a layer of protection to those who are having a sitter. maybe make it a temporary option?


There was a suggestion about user to set a list of allowed account sitters in their settings that would give those sitters the right to take ones turns but not access to ones account (settings, PMs, posting on the forums and so on). IMO this would be much better as it actually solves the problem instead of just putting a small patch on one of the issues.


how about a usergroup that people can turn to?
User avatar
Cadet a.sub
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 am
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby Mad Pineapples on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:20 pm

a.sub wrote:
Thezzaruz wrote:
a.sub wrote:
lackattack wrote:This would cause more problems. Think of all the people who are updating their email address because their old emailaccount no longer exists.

true, but it adds a layer of protection to those who are having a sitter. maybe make it a temporary option?


There was a suggestion about user to set a list of allowed account sitters in their settings that would give those sitters the right to take ones turns but not access to ones account (settings, PMs, posting on the forums and so on). IMO this would be much better as it actually solves the problem instead of just putting a small patch on one of the issues.


how about a usergroup that people can turn to?


Personally selecting a few people you know you can trust will probably be preferable to more people over turning to a usergroup they might not know anyone in.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Mad Pineapples
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:53 am
Location: United Kingdom
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Change email

Postby a.sub on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 pm

not everyone knows a bunch of ppl they can urn to, hence where problems arise
User avatar
Cadet a.sub
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 am
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm

a.sub wrote:not everyone knows a bunch of ppl they can urn to, hence where problems arise


Well even with such a usergroup you'd have the issue of handing out your pass and thus exposing your account. IMO it could be a good addition too but an "allowed account sitter" option is a much better upgrade.
User avatar
Lieutenant Thezzaruz
 
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: OTF most of the time.
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Change email

Postby Doc_Brown on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 am

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but this came to mind when I was updating my registered email address earlier. I think there may be a workable variation on the original suggestion. When a person goes into the Control Panel to change the listed email address, go ahead and send a confirmation email to the new address the way it works now. However, in addition, also send an email to the old email address stating that an email change has been requested and providing a link to cancel the request. This way, if an untrustworthy sitter or someone else tries to screw with your Conquer Club settings, you'll get a notification email at your original email address. If you click the link in that email, the address listed in your profile will revert to the original setting. On the other hand, if you no longer have access to the original email account, it won't matter since there's no need to cancel the request.
User avatar
Major Doc_Brown
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm
Location: Alabama
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (2)

Re: Change email

Postby a.sub on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but this came to mind when I was updating my registered email address earlier. I think there may be a workable variation on the original suggestion. When a person goes into the Control Panel to change the listed email address, go ahead and send a confirmation email to the new address the way it works now. However, in addition, also send an email to the old email address stating that an email change has been requested and providing a link to cancel the request. This way, if an untrustworthy sitter or someone else tries to screw with your Conquer Club settings, you'll get a notification email at your original email address. If you click the link in that email, the address listed in your profile will revert to the original setting. On the other hand, if you no longer have access to the original email account, it won't matter since there's no need to cancel the request.

well played, i agree!
User avatar
Cadet a.sub
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 am
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby lackattack on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Doc_Brown's idea is great!
User avatar
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:34 pm
Location: Montreal, QC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Re: Change email

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Indeed... :-k

-Sully

*Thinks to himself* "Admin bump?? Hmmmm..."
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Change email

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Has this been looked at or implemented? It's a very good security measure...
Image
User avatar
Major chapcrap
 
Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: Change email

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:20 pm

chapcrap wrote:Has this been looked at or implemented? It's a very good security measure...

There is already a phpBB mod for this, however I know lack wasn't fond of adding more mods. I'll see what I can do.
12:39:59 AM rdsrds2120: sorry, I had a lot of lasagna tonight
12:40:06 AM rdsrds2120: I'm pretty out of it. CRAAZZYYY NIGHT
12:31:04 * Metsfanmax quit (kicked from Social by Metsfanmax - reason: haha gotcha now)
12:59:32 * #1_stunna gropes blakebowling
Private blakebowling
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 5028
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)


Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login