Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 35: 31-8-10] In Memory of MrMoody

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 35: 31-8-10] In Memory of MrMoody

Postby nagerous on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Welcome Comrades to the 35th edition of the Dispatch. The past week has been a sad one for CCers with the passing of chat moderator MrMoody

This is awful news and has affected many CCers greatly, not least fellow chat moderators, slowreactor, jakewilliams and InsomniaRed and all of the chat regulars. A few of them PMed me with their thoughts for the newsletter. It is hard to put words to such a situation but these guys tried.

jakewilliams wrote:MrMoody was the first moderator I remember having contact with on the site, back when I was a freemium looking for RT games. I have tried to emulate his style on how a chat mod should act - friendly toward regulars and new people alike, firm on the rules but fair, and never afraid to use a/s/l to break up any silence or tension. He was a model for how a mod should act. He has my respect as a moderator not because he deserved it (which he did), but because he earned it.

HollyElizabeth wrote:Moody was a very dear friend of mine. He was the first person I ever talked to on CC. He was a very kind man and he meant so much more to me than anyone can imagine. He always knew what to say to make me laugh or smile and I could always count on him for anything. He will be very greatly missed. And i know that, while right now it seems that he is gone forever, I will see him again and I know that he is finally happy. I love you Moody, from the bottom of my heart. You were the best friend a girl could ask for.

MrMoody was a popular chat moderator and will be sorely missed.

I leave you with a poem chosen by stahrgazer to commemorate MrMoody's passing.

nagerous - Newsletter Executive

I cannot say, and I will not say
That he is dead--. He is just away!

With a cheery smile, and a wave of the hand
He has wandered into an unknown land,

And left us dreaming how very fair
It needs must be, since he lingers there.

And you-- O you, who the wildest yearn
For the old-time step and the glad return--,

Think of him faring on, as dear
In the love of There as the love of Here;

And loyal still, as he gave the blows
Of his warrior-strength to his country's foes--.

Mild and gentle, as he was brave--,
When the sweetest love of his life he gave

To simple things--: Where the violets grew
Blue as the eyes they were likened to,

The touches of his hands have strayed
As reverently as his lips have prayed:

When the little brown thrush that harshly chirred
Was dear to him as the mocking-bird;

And he pitied as much as a man in pain
A writhing honey-bee wet with rain--.

Think of him still as the same, I say:
He is not dead-- he is just away!
James Whitcomb Riley

If you would like to apply to join the news team, please visit the thread below for more details! :)

Click here for Recruitment Details...

In this edition of freestyle news we have an article from dhallmeyer with assistance from his fellow cook moderators on the Society of Cooks and how it operates. We also have an interview with Emmdizzle about his recent rise to the top of the CC charts and TheSaxLad poses the question to coincide with the interview, Cheat or Clever? That is not all as the elf returns with his regular feature From the Pit... and we have our usual cartoon featuring the newsletter's comedy chef:

Click image to enlarge.

nagerous

From the Pit... by elfish_lad

show

Society of the Cooks by dhallmeyer

show

Controversially Colonel To Conqueror ā€“ Emmdizzle by TheSaxLad

show

show: Interrogation of Emmdizzle

Welcome back to another issue of the War Games. The 'News from the Front' has all the latest TPA updates. jrh_cardinal has a word with the Independence Day Contest winners. jleonnn makes his opening with a brief overview of the new Play-In tournament. amazzony continues her series 'Join This? Or Not!' as she chews through the open tournaments. There is something on everything, so enjoy.

Sir. Ricco
Tournament Executive

News from the Front by the Tournament Team
show

Independence Day Contest Complete by jrh_cardinal
show

Play-Now Tournaments by jleonnn
show

Join This? Or Not! by amazzony
show

Hi again everyone.
Even in the saddest of times, the wheels of the Foundry keep rolling, and so we must look towards the future and offer you once again a peek behind the curtains of the Foundry: what is happening, who is making maps, and everything else that happens in that mysterious forum that keeps producing new maps for us all to play...

This issue, we have the usual articles, plus a little bit of extra: an attempt to shed some light to the names behind the maps.
Enjoy.

Latest News

show

Maps Review

Maps Briefly
show

Map Showroom
show

Map Spotlight
show

Inside the Foundry

History 101: Fantasy
show

Who's who in the Foundry?
show

All the action from the frontlines: THOTA line up against old adversaries LoW in the second Conqueror's Cup semi-final and we cover battles involving Devil's Brigade, Soldiers of War, FOED, Nemesis, AoC, Imperial Dragoons, BotFM and Empire.
Our features look at the serious side of clan life, how best to govern those unruly bunches of testosterone-filled gamesplayers, and the fun side as the Brethren of the Fat Mermaids invite you to join their yo ho ho and a bottle of rum day.
As we went to press, jpcloet announced the arrival of Clan Gaming Privileges. Anyone who has organised a tournament knows how easy it is to set up games with this tool; anyone who has tried to track clan events without tourney-style labels will also appreciate its usefulness. Well done to the clan directors who have been campaigning for this for a long time. We hope this will encourage more clan games, and more formal recognition of those games - medals next?

State of Play by pmchugh (Nemesis) and Dai_atan (Legion)
show

Cup Semi-Finals: THOTA vrs LoW by laughingcavalier
show

How Clans Work by Dai_atan (Legion)
show

You Don't Have to be a Pirate to Talk Like One by BoganGod (BotFM)
show

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch for an interrogation of General Mojo. Post any questions you may have for them here --> Interrogation with General Mojo

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the ConquerClub Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to nagerous and you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscribe Here!

ConquerClub Dispatch Team
Captain nagerous

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 35: 31-8-10] In Memory of MrMoody

Postby InsomniaRed on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:28 pm

Rest In Peace, Thomas. I love you...and you were an amazing friend.

I will be at your memorial to say goodbye one final time.

Thank you nagerous for writing this for him.

<3

PS - I still had his password for sitting reasons. I felt it was fitting to change his location to Heaven. I hope he is doing well.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll be at your memorial too...may all those that wish to come be able to...
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby lord voldemort on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 pm

just quietly clan guys....you need to get your info before you start ragging on empire :roll:
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Incandenza on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 am

lord voldemort wrote:just quietly clan guys....you need to get your info before you start ragging on empire :roll:

Yeah, that was a bit harsh.

This bit just slayed me though:

Incandenza, blitzaholic, comic boy, hatchman, Big Whiskey... these are names that conjure magic, names that mothers use to frighten naughty children who will not go to bed.

Well done as always, newslettermen. And of course, my condolences to Moody's friends and family. Didn't really know him, but the outpouring of emotion proves that he was a good person and will be missed, and I suppose that's all anyone can ask for in life.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Dai_atan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:42 am

lord voldemort wrote:just quietly clan guys....you need to get your info before you start ragging on empire :roll:

As the author of that segment I put this to you:
It's only as harsh as you choose to make it in your own mind.
Me, I see it as a humorous and light jibe at the fact you're facing off against yet another clan that is literally out of your league. If you see it as ragging maybe that is because you don't want this to be pointed out to the community?
I have no issue with you guys facing SoW. I think it's good practice for them and light training for your newest players (As was your reason for vsing TLW, I understand) not to mention a good boost to morale/egos. This article was a bit of teasing fun that comes with the territory of being a high profile clan, and I believe that this clan guy knew all the info involved in the matter when I posted this Light Hearted segment.

If after reading this you still feel EMPIRE has been wronged, I would be more than happy to do a follow up interview to discuss in full the depth and benefits of the SoW war to the ranks of the EMPIRE... Though I'd insist that you not attempt to do the Imperius curse on me.
Last edited by Dai_atan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dai_Atan
Proud Retired MoC
and now Active (like yeast in warm water!) Member of The Legion
Captain Dai_atan

Postby Incandenza on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:46 am

Speaking as someone without a dog in this fight, I'd say that if you're writing an editorial, then feel free to editorialize. But don't editorialize in the middle of what's ostensibly a news segment, especially a segment that appears under a dual byline.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby Dai_atan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:55 am

State of Play is intended to give brief outlines of match ups inside the Clan Scene, this segment was delivering that information with satirical trimmings that were intended to lighten up the repetition of stats and details that come with the territory.
When writing these segments I already tend to write with these sort of embellishments to make for a more entertaining read, the twist in this case is as it is obviously intended to point out the gap between the clans versing each other.

And I would hardly call this a dog fight, LV sees it one way (completely understandable being from the clan the article talks about) and I see it another (completely understandable being a clan reporter with a very odd sense of humor)
Dai_Atan
Proud Retired MoC
and now Active (like yeast in warm water!) Member of The Legion
Captain Dai_atan

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 am

I thought it was funny and good. I'd rather he shove some humor in there and get the facts wrong than be dry and politically correct.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:25 am

Incandenza wrote:Speaking as someone without a dog in this fight, I'd say that if you're writing an editorial, then feel free to editorialize. But don't editorialize in the middle of what's ostensibly a news segment, especially a segment that appears under a dual byline.

It's the CC Dispatch on conquerclub.com, not the fooking NY Times.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:27 am

still how would you guys feel if i took cheap shots at all your clans...
im almost positive i have dirt on each and every one of them.
you wouldnt react well at all would u?
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 am

The One Man Clan is infallible.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby clapper011 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 am

missing you Moody!
Corporal 1st Class clapper011

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

Fooking prawns!
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Denise on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:48 am

Dai_atan wrote:State of Play is intended to give brief outlines of match ups inside the Clan Scene, this segment was delivering that information with satirical trimmings that were intended to lighten up the repetition of stats and details that come with the territory.
When writing these segments I already tend to write with these sort of embellishments to make for a more entertaining read, the twist in this case is as it is obviously intended to point out the gap between the clans versing each other.

And I would hardly call this a dog fight, LV sees it one way (completely understandable being from the clan the article talks about) and I see it another (completely understandable being a clan reporter with a very odd sense of humor)

meh, I agree. I would much rather be laughed at for being too good than the opposite. :shock: All publicity is good publicity? :lol:

more on the subject:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=441&t=122296&start=45
Colonel Denise

Postby Ace Rimmer on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:27 pm

lord voldemort wrote:still how would you guys feel if i took cheap shots at all your clans...

Don't take it so personally - I took it more as joking than an actual swipe at you. 4 top clans (or 3 top clans and 1 poser clan, depending on whose list you go by) are busy right now with Conq Cup, IA/TSM are taking it easy, plenty of other clans are already in wars, so you don't have a lot of options at this point anyway.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby trapyoung on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:04 pm

jakewilliams wrote:
lord voldemort wrote:still how would you guys feel if i took cheap shots at all your clans...

Don't take it so personally - I took it more as joking than an actual swipe at you. 4 top clans (or 3 top clans and 1 poser clan, depending on whose list you go by) are busy right now with Conq Cup, IA/TSM are taking it easy, plenty of other clans are already in wars, so you don't have a lot of options at this point anyway.

f*ck Jake, let's get all the dirt. TMZ meet CC, spill the beans on everyone. I'll conduct the interview and we'll release it in CC Uncensored
Colonel trapyoung

Postby Foxglove on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 pm

jakewilliams wrote:

Well honestly, it could most accurately be characterized as a "joking swipe".

Now who are you calling posers?! :P
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Foxglove wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:

Well honestly, it could most accurately be characterized as a "joking swipe".

Now who are you calling posers?! :P

I wondered that myself, though I'm pretty sure our side of the bracket is safe :P
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Keeping the :P combo going.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby laughingcavalier on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:32 pm

All :P good.
Lovo, no hurt intended to Empire. We try to capture some of the spirit to be found in the clan forums, while being kind & fair as well as entertaining. It's a fine line to walk sometimes. I know Dai_atan thinks highly of Empire. If you or anyone else from your clan would like to tell the true story behind your latest challenge, we're well up for publishing it next issue.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby Incandenza on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:35 pm

jakewilliams wrote:
Incandenza wrote:Speaking as someone without a dog in this fight, I'd say that if you're writing an editorial, then feel free to editorialize. But don't editorialize in the middle of what's ostensibly a news segment, especially a segment that appears under a dual byline.

It's the CC Dispatch on conquerclub.com, not the fooking NY Times.

Fair enough, but given that all the convo has been about that one little bit, that should tell you something. And besides, you don't need to write for the NYT to know how to put together a news piece.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:10 am

Well Incandenza, why not join the newsletter?

We could use a professional like you in our team. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby TheSaxlad on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:50 am

hmm, and I thought that my Emmdizzle piece would be the upsetting one.

Obviously not... :)
Image Caution: playing team games with TheSaxlad can lead to shortness of breath, high blood pressure and other-stress related illnesses!

Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby Leehar on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 am

TheSaxlad wrote:hmm, and I thought that my Emmdizzle piece would be the upsetting one.

Obviously not... :)

Old news ;), he's no longer conqueror :lol:
show
Colonel Leehar

Next

Return to Newsletter Issues