Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 89: 20-2-2013] Mets

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 89: 20-2-2013] Mets

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 am

Welcome Comrades to the 89th edition of the Dispatch :)

This issue's production coincided with Valentines. That Feast of Saint Valentines we love so much! As you all know Saint Valentine was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry. Before he was executed he sent a letter to the jailors daughter signing off "from your valentine"!!
Moral of the story, if you are romantic then you will be remembered even if you do break all the rules! What a feast we have in store for you this issue!

Firstly, it's the big thumbs up to Gilligan! What a talent he was, what big shoes has has to fill, oh how he will be missed. Bless his cotton socks. We take a little time out to say thanks, say a few words, remember ... erk he only stood down already so you are allowed to say your piece too and he gets to read it ... yay! For those who need some background click here.

Secondly, Metsfanmax goes under the microscope. It covers everything from the Planck epock to nuclear fusion!

Thirdly, we have a bewildering array of articles. From the new (Ask Aunt Squishy), to the old (Meet the Tourney Winners - this week Junior Bee), to the borrowed (a multitude of clan updates), to the blue (all that work in the Foundry!). Now if that's not a marriage of talent then nothing is!!

Lastly, your chance to shine. We look forward to your feedback, comments, brick-bats and bouquets. Send your sweet Valentines to any of the newsletter editors. Better still, be their valentine and offer your *wink* assistance! Always looking for talent, providing you a chance to give something back, so share that budding writer inside of you! The chances of you being jailed and executed are not great 8-)

Enjoy the fruits of our labouring fingers!

thehippo8
Chief Executive

If you would like to apply to join the news team, please visit the thread below for more details! :)

Click here for Recruitment Details...

Hello again Freestyle readers. I'd like to take this opportunity to recognize the many contributions that Gilligan tirelessly nurtured for the community. From both the immediately visible ones like special events to the day to day operations of managing a mod team, Gilligan approached all of them with class and tact. His work and dedication stand as an example of what it means to be a moderator on Conquer Club.
Gilligan will long be remembered for his tireless work in the Special Events. He was responsible for organizing and monitoring many of the special events for the last few years. From the map contest of Easter 2012 to the organization of the Halloween Mafia game for 2011, Gilligan has been the catalyst for Special Events and he ensured they all ran without a hitch.

Gilligan also contributed to the Entertainment team in a less visible but equally important way. He meticulously kept track of community interest and involvement in the special events and the other public projects of the Entertainment team. By providing and organizing the statistics of community interest, Gilligan allowed us to see which activities drew more interest and which were relatively less popular. His willingness to hunt and calculate these numbers help the Entertainment Team tailor its events to better appeal the community at large. His many contributions to the community can be represented by his 14 General Contribution medals (tied for 3rd all time!) which reflect his 4+ years of involvement as a moderator.

You Stay Classy, CC.

safariguy5
Freestyle Executive

The Scum Insider by safariguy5
show

The Best Strategy for Medal Hunting? by TheSaxlad
show

Yoshi Awards Update by Doomyoshi
show

Ask Aunt Squishy by squishyg
show

show: interrogation of Metsfanmax

Hello again my friends, and welcome to your favorite part of the Newsletter, "War Games", where you can find information about CC Tournaments!

I think we can start to be optimistic that the tournament world is at last regaining momentum. This is the first time in a long time that I have seen the Create/Join a Tournament forum go to two pages. The Ongoing Tournaments forum, which has been oscillating between 9 and 10 pages for a few months, seems to have solidly settled on 10. Mind you, this is still a long way from the 13 pages that it was when I joined CC, but I believe that the long-abused optimists of CC are seeing vindication.

We have plenty of interesting features for you in this issue. First, I speak to tournament winner Junior Bee. Then, I have a look back at the original tournament Hall of Fame, one of many projects that our recently-retired department head, Gilligan, worked on during his extraordinary career as a CC volunteer. Then, out of the sadness surrounding flexmaster33's retirement, Dave takes inspiration for another great installment of his tournament tips. Dave also updates the TPA situation.

Finally, we have Join This? Or Not!, the longest-running feature in the newsletter. Sadly, this is the last time that it will be authored by WorldCup4James. James has decided that the conflict between academic achievement and Conquer Club will be resolved in favour of academics, and in all good conscience I cannot disagree. I wish him well in his studies, and I will certainly miss him around here. It is always sad to lose a volunteer, but someone as good as James is a hard act to follow.

Meet the Tournament Winners: Junior Bee by Dukasaur
show

Gilligan and the Hall of Fame by Dukasaur
show

Tournament Tips by DaveH
show: League Tournaments - part 1

TPA3 Wrap by DaveH
show

Join This? Or Not! by WorldCup4James
show

Dukasaur
Tournament Executive

All things must come to an end. And so it has come to pass for the Beta Bounty. Congrats to Ceetar, rousseau72, aad0906 and chapcrap for winning the three months of premium each. random21 has been asking, how is it possible to make maps better for 1v1 games in Making fair 1 v 1 maps. Have an idea or opinion, head on over.

This issue: We have new maps and old ones brought back to life in Maps in development for you whilst generalhead asks what you need before you start a map. Doomyoshi ran some awards earlier. The winner of the map one is below, but I just wanted to publish his letter. A wonderful thing it is as well. And finally, the contest is back. This issue, we have gone gilligan on you. ;)

koontz1973 -- Foundry Executive

Maps in Development. koontz1973
show

What you need to do before starting a map by generalhead
show

Love Letter to the Foundry by DoomYoshi
show

ImageBeta Maps
show

Gilligans Maps Competition by Foundry Dispatch
show

Welcome to another jam-packed issue of clans, with Swifte giving us a double-dose of action in 2 different tournaments while Icky & Qwert round out our section with info about progress from ACC2 & CL5.

The Highlight however, has to be Grifftrons Video Prediction on the winner of CC3! He ends up giving Swifte's literary update a run for it's money.

Leehar
Clan Executive

CC3 Video Broadcast by Grifftron (Pack)
show

CC3 Update by Swifte (IA)
show

ACC2 Update by Ickyketseddie (1RFG)
show

Clan League 5 - draws by qwert (Myth)
show

NC3 Champions by Swifte(IA)
show

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch for an interrogation of b00060. Post any questions you may have for them here --> Interrogation with b00060

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the ConquerClub Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to thehippo8 and you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscribe Here!

ConquerClub Dispatch Team

ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 89: 20-2-2013] Mets

Postby Swifte on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Those Gilligan's were trickier to find than the hearts... :lol:
Colonel Swifte

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Wow, I can't believe how much I appeared in this issue. Did not see it coming.

That tournament hall of fame is something that I wish wouldn't stay deep in the depths of the tournament archives...a sticky in General Tournament forum I think would be fantastic - considering the amount of work that was put into it. Eventually I forced Lack to install the Tournaments tab because it was just too much - you can see by the Tournaments by Month that it was not slowing down anytime soon, but even picking up pace QUICKLY. If there were 99 finished tournaments in Nov '09, I can't imagine how many would be in Nov '12.

The map contest was quite fun too - there was one that took me a little bit to find.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Gilligan wrote:Wow, I can't believe how much I appeared in this issue. Did not see it coming.

We were glad to be able to honour our former leader...:)

You're definitely one of the most important CC volunteers of all time.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby L M S on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Nice article. I surely would have responded if asked about the medal chase...don't remember getting the pm though.
“One of God's own prototypes.....never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
Sergeant 1st Class L M S
SoC Training Adviser

Return to Newsletter Issues