Manifest Destiny

Information about clan activities and recruitment.

Moderators: Clan Directors, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Manifest Destiny

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm not trying to be an authority on anything. I'll keep my level of activity where it's at.

As far as Manifest Destiny, my post was just a poke. Much like I feel natty's was. It really set up the MD guys to have fun with it and you and VIper took it all serious. Sorry if I upset you, but I was trying to get a response like:
Heck yes we agree!! God has deemed it that we should take over the clan world, one clan at a time!! At that's just what we are going to do!
Captain chapcrap

Medals: 168
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (17) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Re: Manifest Destiny

Postby ViperOverLord on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

^^^
Again, there were different meanings of Manifest Destiny that existed just regarding expansion. Some believed that it applied to the USA expanding to the Mississippi River. Others believed it referred to expanding to the west coast. Others believed that it meant expanding throughout all or most of North America. And I would imagine some people romanticized the empirical possibilities. But the underlying theme was a destined expansion and I find that to be a cool notion.

If you look at it from a historical perspective, there had never been such a large nation that had a democracy (thus it being called the great experiment). Most of the world was still ruled by kings and dictators. So there was actually a nobility to the notion of expanding the borders of the great democratic nation as many people wanted an expanded nation so that they could actually have more freedom in the great expanse. Of course the revisionist history detractors ignore that historical reality.

Obviously from a clan standpoint we don't mind using the name to play upon the perception of exceptionalism and expansion. And it is apropos for clan warfare.

I actually had about three cool names for a clan and I was leaning towards another name more. But the problem is I didn't write it (or the other name) down and I forgot them. I believe Manifest Destiny was the only American themed name I had in mind (but I'm not 100 percent sure at this time).

I personally did relate to America's proud history when I created the name for the clan. I especially liked it in the face of the anti American tide. But it was never meant to be a political position central to the affairs of our clan. We have people from different countries in the clan and I have never asked them for any political/historical viewpoints when joining. I have respect for a great many other nations. It's one reason why I love the World Cup more than any other sporting event.
Major ViperOverLord

Medals: 130
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31)

Return to Clans