Is anyone aware of this issue that has been identified?
bigWham wrote:codierose wrote:bigWham wrote:Hi all.
I am aware and am working on this problem. Unfortunately it is not easy, or I would have just solved it. Lag can come from innumerable sources and be very difficult to diagnose and treat. It is often a build up of many small things that reach a tipping point. Activity has been increasing, new features have been added, databases have continued growing... it all adds up.
All I can say right is that I am working on a variety of fronts to try to deal with this issue. It is likely we will need to enhance our hosting setup to deal with the increased load, regarding which I am consulting our hosting providers.
I assure you we will get improvements made, I just cannot say exactly when. In the meantime, I can only ask for your patience.
We have spent quite a lot of time on this, investigating things such as:
- Analyzing the performance in detail of our most common requests
- Implement database slow query logging
- Implementing some stress testing performance tools
- Bandwidth optimization
- Client side page analysis
- Potential server upgrades and/or adding servers
From this, we made a variety of improvements that appeared to have a modest impact.
Then we discovered that our API was being bombarded by a Add-On that was apparently gone off the rails.
Further monitoring and analysis revealed that this was likely the primary source of our general performance issues. When we started ignoring these requests there was a significant performance increase and lag reduction. We have been monitoring the last few days, and this assessment is holding up. Process queues on our server are vastly reduced, and page load time is increased. The speed increase has been anecdotally confirmed by various players in various game situations.
If anyone uses the Add-On 'Clan Game Notifier', please disable it until told otherwise.