Conquer Club

Clan War Prediction Contest

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Clan War Prediction Contest

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 am

MAKE YOUR PREDICTIONS HERE

Organizer: Shoop76
Sponsors: Shoop76 & the Clan Department

Prizes:
1st Place: 1 Year Premium: 3500 Credits (From CD's) & earn a fancy title on your wall as the "Clan Prediction Guru"!
Runner Up: 6 Month Premium: 2400 Credits (From Shoop)
Smaller Prizes (TBA) Available as Event Progresses

GA Medal Available for the Person Who Predicts the Most Scores Correctly

Start: August 1.2015
End: July 31, 2016 (start date of wars)

Predict each war winner & the final score - and you could be labeled the Clan Prediction Guru!

How to Enter
Participants can either post their prediction in the contest thread or pm shoop76 directly. Entrants have until 1 day before exchange date of set 1 to make a prediction. I will then make them public in a timely manner. I will start a new thread that will be for predictions only. I will post the wars with entry deadlines. Should the exchange date of the war change for any reason the deadline for predictions will remain the same.

Scoring
Wars
3 bonus points to predict the correct CC5 Winner
3 points if you predict the lower ranked clan and they win (based on F400 at time I open entries for said war)
2 points if you predict the higher ranked clan and they win
2 points if you predict the correct score
1 point if you predict the score and miss by 1

Leagues
Predict the leagues finishing order(s) (Premier and Second Divisions as applicable)

3 points if you pick the winner
2 points if you pick the runner up
1 point for each clan you get for correct order of clans 3rd and lower

Other Notes
Tie Breakers will be as follows:
Overall Win %
Number of Correct Scores

Scoreboard
I (shoop76) will keep a Google Doc / viewable scoreboard for everyone to follow and update it in a timely manner.

Please post any questions, recommendations, or comments in this thread. Do not post picks here, they will be ignored

Any issues will be dealt with directly by shoop76. If necessary I will consult clan directors.
Last edited by shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Re: Clan Prediction Contest

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 am

SCOREBOARD

After 1 complete. Updated 9/6/15
Last edited by shoop76 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:32 am

Open wars available for predictions

Aug 3: PACK (7) v HH (25)

July 28: LHDD (3) v TNC (14) 1v1 war

link https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=441&t=213890

: RA (11) v LOW (15)

link https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=441&t=213901
Last edited by shoop76 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:32 am

Ongoing wars, predictions closed

GON (26) v Tank Squad (NA) - GON are favorites due to no rank for TS
[url]
war link viewtopic.php?f=441&t=213595[/url]

deadline July 31, 23:59 cc time

PICKS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GiZxPhZnUsL4ba4189bnMt6CFCCzpFPNA2YlAlC8WUU/edit#gid=0
Last edited by shoop76 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:33 am

Finished and scored wars

TNC has upset LHDD. 8 correct picks. No one guessed the score though 2 were only 1 away.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:33 am

Reserved if needed
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:21 am

Looking forward to this :) thanks for organizing!

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Keefie on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:40 am

This will be epic :)
Colonel Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks guys. Now someone needs to get a war going. Maybe Fallen vs HH.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Keefie on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:05 pm

shoop76 wrote:Thanks guys. Now someone needs to get a war going. Maybe Fallen vs HH.

FOED vs Atlantis will start any day now and Gladiators of Noxious vs Tank Squad is due to start on 1st August.
Colonel Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Keefie wrote:
shoop76 wrote:Thanks guys. Now someone needs to get a war going. Maybe Fallen vs HH.

FOED vs Atlantis will start any day now and Gladiators of Noxious vs Tank Squad is due to start on 1st August.

You must have some inside info on the GON/ TS war because I can't find a thread anywhere. The FOED/ ATL 1v1 war will start within a day or 2 so no time for predictions.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:25 pm

shoop76 wrote:
Keefie wrote:

You must have some inside info on the GON/ TS war because I can't find a thread anywhere. The FOED/ ATL 1v1 war will start within a day or 2 so no time for predictions.

viewtopic.php?f=441&t=213595

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:02 pm

IcePack wrote:
shoop76 wrote:
Keefie wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=441&t=213595

Thanks, I must be blind. We are open for business. I will start open picks on other thread. Interesting 1 to start out with.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Re: Clan War Prediction Contest

Postby stealth99 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 am

I love this and commend you for running it shoop. Well done bud.

And thanks soooooooo much for personally sponsoring this event. Very cool dude.

Of course, much thanks to the Clan Department for sponsoring this thing too. Thanks IcePack and crew.

I have a couple of questions for clarification. What do you mean by 3 bonus points for predicting the CC5 winner. You just want us to name the clan or provide a score too. Is there a place to make those predictions yet, or is that yet to come? I'm not quite sure I understand.

Also, is it important to make a unique prediction or can multiple people make the same prediction?

I have one concern that I hope can be addressed upfront, as I suspect applies to a lot of people. A lot of things like this come along and there is much interest up front and then as time goes by you miss a couple and fall behind and you feel like there is no point to play anymore anymore. In the end you have 5 diehards playing for the full year.

May I be so bold as to ask a couple of questions and make a couple of suggestions regarding this concern?

(I knew you'd say yes)
What type of notification will we have as new events are listed? Will I have to remember to keep checking the threads for new contests? Is it possible that a mass pm could be sent each time there is a new war/contest? My request sounds like a big venture on the surface, but I know that if you have all the names on a spreadsheet, then it's real simple to copy and paste the works into a pm address box. I'd be willing to offer assistance if needed.

Addressing this same issue, can we ensure that there is a significant "minimum" time for each event, i.e. if it's less than two weeks then you can't list it (preferably longer)?

Could we have a maximum number of events you can play? If you anticipate 100 wars in a year, then only allow participation in 80. Then there isn't such an incentive to simply quit, if you do miss a few.

shoop I have not thought these things through like you will. I don't expect you to implement any or all of these suggestions. If you feel they will help then perfect. If not, thanks for taking a look as I know you will.

Finally, one observation - I notice that when events similar to this are run for one month, they usually offer a GA medal. I would have expected that when the event is for a full year, that there would be several GA medals. There could be different categories to win, like most wins, most underdog wins, most scores dead on, etc. etc. restrictions could be in place to prevent one person from winning too many or even two for that matter. I suspect it would create a more exciting Scoreboard and more interest and I am not sure there is a downside. I appreciate that you don't want to hand those medals out like candy, but the opposite problem is no good either.
Sorry, I've had to suspend my campaigns indefinitely.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby shoop76 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 pm

I love this and commend you for running it shoop. Well done bud.

Thank you and I think it will be fun and hopefully get people more involved in the clan world.

I have a couple of questions for clarification. What do you mean by 3 bonus points for predicting the CC5 winner. You just want us to name the clan or provide a score too. Is there a place to make those predictions yet, or is that yet to come? I'm not quite sure I understand.

Because CC5 is considered the most important clan event there is a bonus available. These 3 points will be added to any score achieved for the cc final. Predictions can be entered when the finals thread is opened up. You will predict the score just like any other clan war.

Also, is it important to make a unique prediction or can multiple people make the same prediction?

Multiple people can make the same prediction. If we have enough entrants there won't be any way around that.

I have one concern that I hope can be addressed upfront, as I suspect applies to a lot of people. A lot of things like this come along and there is much interest up front and then as time goes by you miss a couple and fall behind and you feel like there is no point to play anymore anymore. In the end you have 5 diehards playing for the full year.

This is definitely a possibility and things we have seen lately in cc. However, the leaderboard will also be broken down into quarterly segments with other prizes available that have not been announced. I also intend to be running this for more than just this year so there will be a new chance. There are also bonus points available for the leagues. These leagues will not finish until towards the end of the first year. Clan wars also generally take 2-3 months to finish, so there should be a lot of open predictions that can let you catch up.

May I be so bold as to ask a couple of questions and make a couple of suggestions regarding this concern?

That is what this thread is for. I hope that more people will ask questions or make recommendations. I put this together with the help of Icepack, but with everyone chiming in this event can only get better.

What type of notification will we have as new events are listed? Will I have to remember to keep checking the threads for new contests? Is it possible that a mass pm could be sent each time there is a new war/contest? My request sounds like a big venture on the surface, but I know that if you have all the names on a spreadsheet, then it's real simple to copy and paste the works into a pm address box. I'd be willing to offer assistance if needed.

Yes, I will do the mass pm thing to all members that have previously entered a prediction, unless they pm that they do not want, when predictions for an event can be made.

Addressing this same issue, can we ensure that there is a significant "minimum" time for each event, i.e. if it's less than two weeks then you can't list it (preferably longer)?

I can only list from the time the thread is created until the war actually starts. This varies amongst clan, but generally threads are made at least 10 days before the start of a war. If I pm that predictions are open, this should be sufficient time. In general if people don't post in the first few days the likelihood is they won't post at all

Could we have a maximum number of events you can play? If you anticipate 100 wars in a year, then only allow participation in 80. Then there isn't such an incentive to simply quit, if you do miss a few.

I am not in favor of this. I think it should be pretty easy to follow and make predictions for every event. This would also make it a lot harder to keep track of for me.

Finally, one observation - I notice that when events similar to this are run for one month, they usually offer a GA medal. I would have expected that when the event is for a full year, that there would be several GA medals. There could be different categories to win, like most wins, most underdog wins, most scores dead on, etc. etc. restrictions could be in place to prevent one person from winning too many or even two for that matter. I suspect it would create a more exciting Scoreboard and more interest and I am not sure there is a downside. I appreciate that you don't want to hand those medals out like candy, but the opposite problem is no good either.

As I have discussed with Icepack there will be other prizes available, both on a quarterly structure and annually. What these are, and what these will be for is still a work in progress. Maybe Ice can answer this question more completely. We will also have categories so suggestions are welcome.

Also please tell your clanmates and friends to keep the predictions coming. It would be great to get some serious involvement.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby stealth99 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks for that detailed reply shoop. You answered all of my questions and I don't have any follow-up questions. Your decision to send a pm pretty well eliminated any and all concerns I had. Good luck with this thing and I will indeed encourage my mates to participate.
Sorry, I've had to suspend my campaigns indefinitely.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby ClasslessFool on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

This is very nice of you. Thank you for doing this for us all. Good luck everyone. Here's to some good clan wars, and some better predictions.
Cook ClasslessFool

Postby gigi_b on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks for organizing this. It's a bit of extra fun on the side...:)

Regarding the scoring, if I understand it right, on a single prediction based on a clan war I could make up to 5 points if I guess the score right and the lower ranking clan wins. It would be 3 points for guessing the winner + 2 points for guessing the score right.
I can see that this rules have been in place for a while now, but I have to say that the "bonus" for guessing the right score is a bit low. I believe that's the difficult part. In fact, it's very difficult considering the fact that most wars have 40+ games!
Anyway, since it's been going like this for some time, I guess it will be hard to change the rules. But if you'd consider resetting the stats, at the end of some period that you'll decide, maybe it's worth revising this.
Cadet gigi_b

Postby shoop76 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:07 am

gigi_b wrote:Thanks for organizing this. It's a bit of extra fun on the side...:)

Regarding the scoring, if I understand it right, on a single prediction based on a clan war I could make up to 5 points if I guess the score right and the lower ranking clan wins. It would be 3 points for guessing the winner + 2 points for guessing the score right.
I can see that this rules have been in place for a while now, but I have to say that the "bonus" for guessing the right score is a bit low. I believe that's the difficult part. In fact, it's very difficult considering the fact that most wars have 40+ games!
Anyway, since it's been going like this for some time, I guess it will be hard to change the rules. But if you'd consider resetting the stats, at the end of some period that you'll decide, maybe it's worth revising this.

Thanks for the input. The more of this we get the better we can make the competition. It is clearly not getting nearly as much interest as expected. That being said I don't think it would be fair to change the scoring system 4 months in. If this continues after year 1 there will be changes, but I will ask for input closer to the time.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:02 pm

IcePack wrote:NEW Q3 ANNOUNCEMENT

Third Quarter Activity "Special" by shoop76 & the Clan Department
Bring a new friend in during the 3rd Quarter to participate can now bring you a few bonus points and help make up the difference!

- If your friend posts a prediction and names you as their referal (can't have participated in the event previously up til now) and makes minimum 3 predictions this quarter, you'll get +1 bonus! (Max 5)
- If your friend posts at least 50% of the available predictions, you'll receive an extra bonus point on top of the original one (Max 5)
- If your friend continues participating thru Quarter 4 (minimum 50% of all Q3 and Q4 predictions available) then you & your friend will each receive +1 bonus point (Max 5)

Remember, every quarter has its own set of prizes so even if you are "out of the running" for the year long competition, there are still plenty of credits & prizes to be won! And by getting your friends to participate, you can boost your chances at the year long competition.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby gigi_b on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:46 am

Just had an idea about the scoring system after seeing some results and I want to write a bit about the last rule of scoring which is

Fist of all you can't miss by one score-wise; the minimum miss is by 2. And that miss could go both ways. You can predict, for clan A versus B that had a war which actually ended up with the score a to b, either a+1 to b-1, either a-1 to b+1.

Now regarding that, I believe that there would be much more of a "point" rewarding users for the most "tight" miss of the two. What I mean is this (and I'll give the example with numbers to be easier to follow):
- actual score of war A vs B: 25-16
- I'd propose to give the 1 point to users that predicted 24-17 rather than to users that predicted 26-15

Why? Well becasue what you reward here is predicting the nearest/smallest difference, actually, and that happens when the score is more tight, not loose. And second, you get a bit of an ease when counting scores...:)
Cadet gigi_b

Postby shoop76 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:38 pm

gigi_b wrote:Just had an idea about the scoring system after seeing some results and I want to write a bit about the last rule of scoring which is

Fist of all you can't miss by one score-wise; the minimum miss is by 2. And that miss could go both ways. You can predict, for clan A versus B that had a war which actually ended up with the score a to b, either a+1 to b-1, either a-1 to b+1.

Now regarding that, I believe that there would be much more of a "point" rewarding users for the most "tight" miss of the two. What I mean is this (and I'll give the example with numbers to be easier to follow):
- actual score of war A vs B: 25-16
- I'd propose to give the 1 point to users that predicted 24-17 rather than to users that predicted 26-15

Why? Well becasue what you reward here is predicting the nearest/smallest difference, actually, and that happens when the score is more tight, not loose. And second, you get a bit of an ease when counting scores...:)

Not sure if I agree with your reasoning here. Missing by 1 (or 2 as you say) is missing by 1 whether it is 1 less or 1 more. That being said if this continues after this year I'm sure some changes are needed. Participation is a lot less than I expected. Not sure if that has to do with the scoring, but hopefully we can get some ideas to get interest up. We still have 5 months to go and I don't think changing midway is fair to those who have been active.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby gigi_b on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Sure, I wasn't suggesting any change in this edition. And ..yeah...it's up to you if you find it good or bad.

About participation, I believe that the time span for the contest is what lowers the participation rate. People are more fond of results that they can see right away. So don't know....some per round prizes maybe would be enticing..:)
Cadet gigi_b

Postby IcePack on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:34 pm

gigi_b wrote:Sure, I wasn't suggesting any change in this edition. And ..yeah...it's up to you if you find it good or bad.

About participation, I believe that the time span for the contest is what lowers the participation rate. People are more fond of results that they can see right away. So don't know....some per round prizes maybe would be enticing..:)

There are per round prizes :)

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Congratulations to the following participants, the following prizes have been issued so far!

Quarter 1:
Top Score Overall - IcePack (Blue Star) ISSUED
2nd Place Overall - Keefie (Yellow & Pink Star) ISSUED
3rd Place Overall - codierose (Yellow Star) ISSUED

Quarter 2:
Top Score Overall - JPlo64 (Blue Star) ISSUED
2nd Place Overall - shoop76 (Yellow & Pink Star) ISSUED
3rd Place Overall - iamcaffeine (Yellow Star) ISSUED

Quarter 3:
Top Score Overall - IcePack (Blue Star) ISSUED
2nd Place Overall - gigi_b (Yellow & Pink Star) ISSUED
3rd Place Overall - rockfist (Yellow Star) ISSUED

I will try to work with shoop76 and get the CL7 Prediction and RL6 Prediction Winners issued before the end of the month as well. (Blue Star for each events winner)
Thanks again shoop for running a great and fun event for all!

IcePack

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Next

Return to Clan Archives