Conquer Club

Conqueror's Cup 2010. Winners Knights of the round table !!

Finished challenges between two competitive clans.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conqueror's Cup!!

Postby reptile on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm

LoW will probably be taking part in this, wait to hear back from chard... it wont be too long, i would just sign us up but i wont be here to play any of the games...
Major reptile

Postby Chuuuuck on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Wow. I am impressed. 6 hours after the tournament was posted and we have a full tournament with 16 clans (assuming all of the RESERVED clans come through). Don't let it deter you from signing up though. Depending on how many more we get we will set up play-in games for those ranked at the bottom (not necessarily those that sign up after 16).

This is awesome!! I am excited. I can't wait for EMPIRE to win it all!!! :shock:
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Frederik Hendrik on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Great tournament!!!

If there is any space left, please reserve a spot for Veroveraars der Lage Landen. We have it under consideration, but I can't see why we wouldn't enter this great tournament if it is stil possible.

FH
Sergeant 1st Class Frederik Hendrik

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:Wow. I am impressed. 6 hours after the tournament was posted and we have a full tournament with 16 clans (assuming all of the RESERVED clans come through). Don't let it deter you from signing up though. Depending on how many more we get we will set up play-in games for those ranked at the bottom (not necessarily those that sign up after 16).

This is awesome!! I am excited. I can't wait for EMPIRE to win it all!!! :shock:

If this goes anything like the CLA league... then Empire might be a first round and out? ;)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Georgerx7di on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Chuuuuck wrote:Wow. I am impressed. 6 hours after the tournament was posted and we have a full tournament with 16 clans (assuming all of the RESERVED clans come through). Don't let it deter you from signing up though. Depending on how many more we get we will set up play-in games for those ranked at the bottom (not necessarily those that sign up after 16).

If this goes anything like the CLA league... then Empire might be a first round and out? ;)

You shouldn't talk trash bruce, you guys might end up facing G1 in the first round. They might want revenge after that tie :lol:

As for this, you shouldn't be surprised chuck, you know us clan people are all lifers. We can't log off for more than an hour at a time. :lol:
Last edited by Georgerx7di on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

16. Legends of War
- Leader: samuelc812
- Secondary Contact: DJoach

LoW are confirmed.

Thanks,

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby Chuuuuck on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Frederik Hendrik wrote:Great tournament!!!

If there is any space left, please reserve a spot for Veroveraars der Lage Landen. We have it under consideration, but I can't see why we wouldn't enter this great tournament if it is stil possible.

FH

Updated. We should have you all in there as long as there is a couple of more sign ups.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Lubawski on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Bruceswar wrote:If this goes anything like the CLA league... then Empire might be a first round and out? ;)

This tourney isn't doubles heavy. We'll be fine. And this we aren't taking as "practice" to try out new teams and maps as we did the CLA league. With that said, it's foolish to talk trash before your clan commits. KORT may spill more milk than us, but we'll spill more bovine blood...assuming you step up to the challenge.
Colonel Lubawski

Postby waseemalim on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

This has a much better chance of success if you reduce the game load to half.
Life is what happens while you are busy playing Conquer Club.
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby kratos644 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:
The semi-finals and finals of the Conqueror's Cup will use the following format:

[list][b]- 60 total games
- 4 1v1 matchups (best of 5)
- 18 doubles
- 20 triples
- 28 quads

Kinda surprised I'm the first to notice but 4+18+20+28=70 and not 60
Best Score: 2799, Best Rank: Colonel, Best Scoreboard Spot: 126
Funniest Game:Game 1675072
Sickest Game:Game 2975352
Major kratos644

Postby Chuuuuck on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm

kratos644 wrote:
Chuuuuck wrote:
The semi-finals and finals of the Conqueror's Cup will use the following format:

[list][b]- 60 total games
- 4 1v1 matchups (best of 5)
- 18 doubles
- 20 triples
- 28 quads

Kinda surprised I'm the first to notice but 4+18+20+28=70 and not 60

Haha woops, that 28 is supposed to be 18. I will change it now. Someone even pointed that out to me earlier and I forgot to fix it.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby hiddendragon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Mike, you know my group is always ready only question I have is why the 1v1's. We don't mind them, HA makes mass tourneys for 1v1, but in a clan, team, format 1v1's seem useless.

Black Sheep Squadron
Primary contact: hiddendragon
Secondary contact: littlebrother2k7
Sergeant 1st Class hiddendragon

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Lubawski wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:If this goes anything like the CLA league... then Empire might be a first round and out? ;)

This tourney isn't doubles heavy. We'll be fine. And this we aren't taking as "practice" to try out new teams and maps as we did the CLA league. With that said, it's foolish to talk trash before your clan commits. KORT may spill more milk than us, but we'll spill more bovine blood...assuming you step up to the challenge.

Which is better for us. Doubles are more luck based than say quads. :) gl all.. KORT will have an answer soon.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 pm

I think the number of games (and the ratio chosen) is just perfect. There are sufficient for each tie to classify as a challenge and thus be incorporated in the ladder. This is important as inevitably the routine challenges will diminish once this tourney gets underway. It's only 48 games, in batches of 14, 14, 10, 10 (I presume) and with no time constraints. I pity any clan who make the final 16 that doesn't have the resources to meet such demands.

This tourney also provides better variety than we might ordinarily see from regular challenges, as clans get pitted against each other who would not otherwise necessarily meet.

For these reasons I think the tourney format and concept is simply marvellous, well done.

One question: if we end up with more clans than the 16 that will start in the grid, what will the format be for the preliminary round(s) that would be played by the lesser-ranked clans? If they too are going to be 48 games then this may take some time to get underway as the lesser lights are not renowned for their organisational skills (refer CLA Div.B for example).

One suggestion: make all the singles 'random' maps purely for variety. That way you can discount the conundrum of whether 5 of the same map (singles) = 1 map selection. In similar vein may I ask if one player plays 5 singles, does that only count as 1 game towards his 15 maximum?
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:19 pm

p.s. Shouldn't it be "Conquerors' Cup" as these are team games? ;)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Chuuuuck on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:I think the number of games (and the ratio chosen) is just perfect. There are sufficient for each tie to classify as a challenge and thus be incorporated in the ladder. This is important as inevitably the routine challenges will diminish once this tourney gets underway. It's only 48 games, in batches of 14, 14, 10, 10 (I presume) and with no time constraints. I pity any clan who make the final 16 that doesn't have the resources to meet such demands.

This tourney also provides better variety than we might ordinarily see from regular challenges, as clans get pitted against each other who would not otherwise necessarily meet.

For these reasons I think the tourney format and concept is simply marvellous, well done.

One question: if we end up with more clans than the 16 that will start in the grid, what will the format be for the preliminary round(s) that would be played by the lesser-ranked clans? If they too are going to be 48 games then this may take some time to get underway as the lesser lights are not renowned for their organisational skills (refer CLA Div.B for example).

One suggestion: make all the singles 'random' maps purely for variety. That way you can discount the conundrum of whether 5 of the same map (singles) = 1 map selection. In similar vein may I ask if one player plays 5 singles, does that only count as 1 game towards his 15 maximum?

I am going to stick with the singles as is because I think it is a happy median between most clans that like it two different ways. Some, as I know, feel that there shouldn't be any 1v1 whatsoever. Others, like having the 1v1s in there. So I don't have many in there, but I feel it is important to have it best of 5 where they are because as we all know 1 game can surely be decided by drop (I know 5 can too, but it takes some chance out). A series of 5 1v1 games count as 1 clan match game, both for participation and map usage. That is a good point about 48 games with the lower ranked clans playing against each other. I had originally thought they would play the 48 games like the other rounds. But I may consider lowering this to 24. Any other suggestions of how many games the play-ins should play?

I guess we can wait and see just how many clans will be in the play-in games. As of right now we have 2 extra clans (assuming the RESERVES fill) which means there will be the bottom 4 clans playing in matches for 2 play-in spots (seeds 15 and 16).
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 pm

I had originally thought they would play the 48 games like the other rounds. But I may consider lowering this to 24. Any other suggestions of how many games the play-ins should play?

You may want to go even lower than 24 as it's just a qualifier. Nothing worse than winning something substantial (such as a 24 game series) only to get dumped out in the 1st Round.
I'd suggest 12 games, each team selects 2 x doubs, 2 x trips, 2 x quads, any maps they like. If an exciting 13th game decider is needed then quads, random, esc, chained, sun (which you can set-up and invite the 8 participants to. It'll give you something to do).

p.s. I agree with the inclusion of singles best-of-5 in the main tournament (I wasn't suggesting otherwise). Just wanted clarification on the player's game count coz of the 15 max quota, plus I just threw the idea of 'all random' out there as it helps appease those who don't like best-of-5 singles, or singles at all, in the knowledge someone's going to put up 5 x AoR1, 5 x AoR2 etc. Just seemed to help avoid such a banal scenario. :D
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Chuuuuck on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:
I had originally thought they would play the 48 games like the other rounds. But I may consider lowering this to 24. Any other suggestions of how many games the play-ins should play?

You may want to go even lower than 24 as it's just a qualifier. Nothing worse than winning something substantial (such as a 24 game series) only to get dumped out in the 1st Round.
I'd suggest 12 games, each team selects 2 x doubs, 2 x trips, 2 x quads, any maps they like. If an exciting 13th game decider is needed then quads, random, esc, chained, sun (which you can set-up and invite the 8 participants to. It'll give you something to do).

p.s. I agree with the inclusion of singles best-of-5 in the main tournament (I wasn't suggesting otherwise). Just wanted clarification on the player's game count coz of the 15 max quota, plus I just threw the idea of 'all random' out there as it helps appease those who don't like best-of-5 singles, or singles at all, in the knowledge someone's going to put up 5 x AoR1, 5 x AoR2 etc. Just seemed to help avoid such a banal scenario. :D

I'd like to keep the game count high enough so that it counts as an official challenge for those guys. They are the ones that probably need it the most so they can realize how the challenges work and improve their play. But I also don't want to hold the rest of us up too long. Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter? Granted, those that win the play-in games will be at a big disadvantage playing the top seeds in the first round, but just getting to participate in the play-in game and then getting to play the top seeds is still good experience and hopefully they will improve and learn to make a better showing in the future, or make a good showing now. Hmmm, I just don't know, I will hear anyone elses thoughts on this matter.

Heck, we may get enough clans that want to participate that we have to add another round for most of the clans and only the top few get a bye to the final 16, in which case I would say we keep the round at 48. But this all depends on number of total clans we end up with.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby waseemalim on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:20 am

umm, is it 48 games or is it 200 games in total per clan (assuming the clan goes all the way)? Also, I would rather have less games with a time constraint, rather than more games without one -- because it would be much more organized that way in my opinion.

If its 200 games, then a 12-15 member clan would have an average of 30+ games per player. Compare that to the clan league where the max number for games for any player in LoW is 18.

I dont know why people get so pumped up about whether these challenge will count towards the ladder (which I have given up hopes on) or not. The ladder does not matter. This challenge result should be able to stand independently of the ladder.
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby chephren on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 am

waseemalim wrote:umm, is it 48 games or is it 200 games in total per clan (assuming the clan goes all the way)? Also, I would rather have less games with a time constraint, rather than more games without one -- because it would be much more organized that way in my opinion.

If its 200 games, then a 12-15 member clan would have an average of 30+ games per player. Compare that to the clan league where the max number for games for any player in LoW is 18.

I dont know why people get so pumped up about whether these challenge will count towards the ladder (which I have given up hopes on) or not. The ladder does not matter. This challenge result should be able to stand independently of the ladder.

I agree that the challenge results should stand independent of the ladder ... and the winners of the Conquerors Cup should be able to wear that badge as a symbol of being the finest clan in the competition. But many people still like the ladder idea, and other challenges will also be happening independent of the Cup, so the two should work in tandem. Can't just throw away all the fine work that jpclet's done (and doing) with the ladder.

I think Chuck was asking for opinions on the play-in games, waseem. The rest of the format is decided and not open for debate. A lot of preparation and thought has gone into the design of the tournament, and everyone's fully aware of the scale of it - there will be no trimming down of game numbers for the Round of 16 and beyond.

Bear in mind this idea has come from Chuuuuck - a member of EMPIRE - which is probably the smallest "top" clan of them all...14 members right now.

No question it is a BIG tournament and a BIG game commitment for the clans who get to the final stages. Are you brave enough? :D :D :D
General chephren

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 am

waseemalim wrote:umm, is it 48 games or is it 200 games in total per clan (assuming the clan goes all the way)? Also, I would rather have less games with a time constraint, rather than more games without one -- because it would be much more organized that way in my opinion.

Waseem - the info's pretty clear in the first post mate. Just to put it into figures though:

Round 1 = 48 games (124 slots to fill per clan)
Round 2 = same as Rnd.1
Semi-F. = 76 games ( 188 slots to fill per clan)
Final = same as Semi Final

So....if your clan gets to the Final it has to play 248 games and fill 624 slots. You could as a rule of thumb say each player would average about 60 games.

It's pretty clear from these stats that a participating clan will have to have at least 9 members that play these games (semi & final quota is 20 per player, with best-of-5 singles counting as 1).

As for the idea of these not counting towards the ladder - why ever not? It would be a gross oversight not to include these results as each encounter meets all the criteria for it to be a valid challenge. Not many challenges would take place while this is on (if any at all) so this would be a way of keeping the ladder contemporary.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby waseemalim on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:53 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:As for the idea of these not counting towards the ladder - why ever not? It would be a gross oversight not to include these results as each encounter meets all the criteria for it to be a valid challenge. Not many challenges would take place while this is on (if any at all) so this would be a way of keeping the ladder contemporary.

Yes, 624 slots is a bit too much in my humble opinion.

As for counting for the ladder -- that should not be used as an excuse for having more games. Counting for the ladder should be a peripheral concern and could justify probably 5% more games. The ladder has not been even voted in.

I am certain that this challenge would be equally effective with half as many games and slots to fill. And, should I add, less of a headache for those in charge of co-ordinating this. It would also encourage a lot of clans to join in the first place and not drop out mid-season -- speaking of which CLA still needs to decide on what to do with clans who forfeit a challenge midway.
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 am

Actually I feel quite strongly about inclusion of these results in the Challenge Ladder. Say for instance your clan makes the final and loses, but on the way it defeated IA & TSM to get there. Are you telling me that would count for naught? Of course those performances should be reflected in whatever gauge we use to measure a clan's ability, and right now that is the ladder.

This needs clarifying/confirming before TOFU commits. Thanks

p.s. Chuck - in response to your question...

I'd like to keep the game count high enough so that it counts as an official challenge for those guys. They are the ones that probably need it the most so they can realize how the challenges work and improve their play. But I also don't want to hold the rest of us up too long. Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter?

You could leave it up to the clans to decide if that's what they want to do (i.e. make it a 40 game minimum) but for the purposes of determining who makes the final 16 you could always chose the clan that is ahead at the halfway stage (after Batches 1 & 2 of a 4 batch challenge). Easy to work out, and cuts down on the wait time. Just a thought :D
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby chephren on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 am

Chariot of Fire wrote:Actually I feel quite strongly about inclusion of these results in the Challenge Ladder. Say for instance your clan makes the final and loses, but on the way it defeated IA & TSM to get there. Are you telling me that would count for naught? Of course those performances should be reflected in whatever gauge we use to measure a clan's ability, and right now that is the ladder.

This needs clarifying/confirming before TOFU commits. Thanks

I think I may have confused things. I didn't mean that the challenge results within the competition shouldn't be included the ladder...merely that the winning clan of the competition would have bragging rights in themselves. I will let Chuuuuck confirm to everyone but I'm sure that the decision has been made to include each pairing as a challenge in its own right and will therefore contribute to standings in the ladder. That's why it was set up with these numbers of games. Apologies if I confused you. I'll go back to sleep now.
General chephren

Postby ahunda on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 am

Another question: Will there be a break during the summer holiday season ?

In my experience, that time has always been bad for clan challenges, because quite a few people go travelling, spend time with their families, etc.
Field Marshal ahunda

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Challenges