Conquer Club

The International Clan League (ICL)

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The International Clan League (ICL)

Postby MNDuke on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 am

rubenschtorm wrote:think you have hit spot on there greenoaks :) its the difference between American system and the rest of the worlds way of doing things :roll:
just figured that with my suggestion each season would be completed within 3 or 4 weeks with entire fixture list being played simultaneously(so even if there were 10 clans in each division there would be 9 matches going on , not a high workload)ok forget the singles and add a dubs or trip, gives an extra couple of spots to test squad strength.
if i was clever enough i would certainly like to organise such a thing, but my computer skills are limited, well poor actually, but it would be best to have 1 overall structure rather than seperate rivalling competitions . the league system would allow many clans to compete as it could be structured to accommodate numbers (top 3 divisions 10 clans each,bottom 3 divs with 12 clans each=66 clans, or 10 divisions with 10 clans each=100 clans,or any agreed combination, allowing 1 very easy to understand permanent competition to encompass every clan in cc.
its really not rocket science lol

No it's not, but it really is completely different from what I had in mind and am trying to do. I want something more akin to a baseball, basketball or hockey season. I think what I have set up is about as close to achieving/representing that format as possible. I appreciate the idea and the effort, but it just changes things too much and is more similar to what's already out there on cc. If you have some ideas that don't drastically alter the landscape, I would love to hear them.

Perhaps this would help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nba
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby rubenschtorm on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:21 am

the world is obviously ruled by usa and i thought it worth a shot at simplifying things, always knowing id be told where to go lol.
i have one question though, could any of our friends accross the pond please tell me why , when only played in one country , is it called the world series?
Private rubenschtorm

Postby MNDuke on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:39 am

rubenschtorm wrote:the world is obviously ruled by usa and i thought it worth a shot at simplifying things, always knowing id be told where to go lol.
i have one question though, could any of our friends accross the pond please tell me why , when only played in one country , is it called the world series?

Because Toronto is from Canada? lol.
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby rubenschtorm on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

:p smartass
Private rubenschtorm

Postby MNDuke on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm

rubenschtorm wrote:the world is obviously ruled by usa and i thought it worth a shot at simplifying things, always knowing id be told where to go lol.

The world is not ruled by the USA. That's a little offensive, especially considering that CC is a global site and has participants from all the over world. I understand what you are getting at, but the idea is for this to model professional sports in America. Not to mention I am a US citizen, so it shouldn't be much of a stretch for me to want to try something like this and not completely restructure it to represent a European soccer league, when most of the leagues/tourney on CC follow a similar format to what you are talking about. So for me, this isn't a matter of American pride or dominance, but an attempt to try something new/different. I'm not trying to tell you where to go, but trying to explain why your suggestions won't work for what I have been working to accomplish. Seriously dude, not trying to be dick or exercise my American dominance.

As for the whole World Champions thing, that's because the best athletes from around the world come here to compete. So in essence, they are World Champions, just not so much in a geographical sense.
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 pm

A promotion league is diff then what's trying to be accomplished here. This is more like the NHL torn wants etc but with clans competing.

Then we will use the results from the season to determine playoff positions etc and the playoffs determine the winner. This is in lieu of using ranking systems etc (F400 or Ladder) to place the clans for playoff type situation.

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby rubenschtorm on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm

woah there MNDuke. there really was no offense meant, maybe with it written not said it came out different. sorry , there has been a misunderstanding.i already caved in and understand that you want it modelled on that which is familiar to you. if it was the :p smartass comment, if that is insulting over there its not here, here it means ok clever clogs good answer i stand corrected, and is said with a smile and a wry nod of the head .
and i think i get your system now btw.means theres still a chance to take out the big guns ;)
as for the world series thing,just something that confounds us over here and never gets answered, like what does a Scotsman wear under his kilt!
peace dude,at least until we meet in battle.
Private rubenschtorm

Postby MNDuke on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

rubenschtorm wrote:woah there MNDuke. there really was no offense meant, maybe with it written not said it came out different. sorry , there has been a misunderstanding.i already caved in and understand that you want it modelled on that which is familiar to you. if it was the :p smartass comment, if that is insulting over there its not here, here it means ok clever clogs good answer i stand corrected, and is said with a smile and a wry nod of the head .
and i think i get your system now btw.means theres still a chance to take out the big guns ;)
as for the world series thing,just something that confounds us over here and never gets answered, like what does a Scotsman wear under his kilt!
peace dude,at least until we meet in battle.

No offense was meant from my end. I don't think we are communicating our message very well to each other. I'm glad we've come to an understanding. Does this mean you guys will be participating? The real answer to the World Series question is that baseball was started here and it has been called the World Series for a long time, so it more out of tradition than anything else.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/873 ... rigin.html
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby xman5151 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Very interesting idea for a league, I like the idea of following an American sports league, whereas other clan events are more based on round-robin type events. I am personally interested, not sure if our clan (Grim Reapers) would be up to it or not, having only 14 members, and being in several other events this might be too much for us to handle. I've posted a message in our forum to gauge interest, so we will see.

Great idea though, and good luck with it!
Private xman5151

Postby MNDuke on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 am

I had a thorough discussion with IcePack tonight. Having an experienced TO helps. We went over some things and made changes to some of the settings and rules and cleaned up a few other things. Sorry for the specifics.

For one, the playoff structure is more finalized. It will consist of 2 rounds of 3 sets, 1 round of 5 and the finals will be 7. Each set in the playoffs will consist of 5 games instead of 3 (2 dubs, 2 trips and 1 quad). This will ensure that the playoffs don't drag out but are an accurate representation of ability and fairness.

Map and player limits have been added to the season and post season. Deadlines have been explained. We added a Co-Captain or 2nd contact to back up the Team Captain. A fog rule or lack there of has been defined...that should give you an idea of some of it.

We are looking to add an Assistant to Commissioner or Co-Commissioner, to back-up IcePack. We've asked Chaps to do it, but in the case he declines we might need help with that.

I'm not very good with medals, so I'm curious as to what medals people would like to get or expect out of this. This is where I need the most help.

Also, I wouldn't mind feedback on the new round of changes. Thanks again to everyone.
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby MudPuppy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 am

I can appreciate that you want the playoffs to be inclusive and keep hope alive for clans that may struggle through the season. I also appreciate that you've upped the number of games in each set of the post-season in an attempt to minimize the post-season luck factor. However, I remain strongly opposed to having sixteen teams make the playoffs. Having a potential majority of teams (if fewer than 32 clans participate) qualify for the post-season cheapens the effort of the four months of intense games that make up the regular season and opens the door to having a less deserving clan knock out more deserving clan (based on regular season results) on the basis of a single 3-set series. Having a 3-set series trump the results of an 84-set regular season is a bad idea and greatly diminishes the value of that regular season which is the heart of your proposed tourney.

Post-season upsets are part of the game and the whole point of having a playoff system... I totally understand and appreciate that.... but I really feel you should be far more selective about who has earned the right to even participate in that post-season. It would be a shame if a team who went 60-24 in the regular season gets knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by a team with a record of 45-39 despite winning 9 of 15 games in that 3-set playoff series (2-3; 5-0; 2-3). I'd have absolutely no problem if a #1 seed lost to a #4 seed in this fashion... but the deeper you go, the more unjust it becomes.

I really hope you consider reducing the number of clans who qualify for the post season. There are other intrinsic rewards to performing well in the season. If a team is projected to finish last in their division but winds up finishing higher than 2 or 3 other clans, that's a victory in itself. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are deserving of a shot at the ICL Championship game. I think that honor should be reserved for a select few teams. I say this knowing that the Imperial Dragoons, who are currently ranked 17th in the F400, likely would not be favored to get one of those post-season spots.... but I believe it to be the far better option.

My preference would be for 8 teams to make the playoffs (6 division winners and 2 wild cards). This would guarantee that whoever wins, is deserving of the honor, upsets or not. It would also allow you to reduce the number of post-season rounds from four to three giving more time for the implementation of fairer 5- and 7-set series vs. relying on far more luck-based 3-set series. I just don't understand why you'd need to go deeper than eight teams to find a potential champion.
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby IcePack on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 pm

MudPuppy - the rules are currently set up for the full 32-36 team set up (sorry at work whatever the full original amount was I thought 36 clans).

Depending on final number of sign ups will determine exactly how many clans get into post season. let's keep in mind rules as written are for te fully allocated 36 clans. 36 clans - 16 post season. Less then 36 - depends on how drastically less. MNDuke will discuss our # threshold for post season and get back if that's the case when signs commence. And these numbers are based roughly on sports we are looking to emulate, but are te current proposed amounts.

I understand if less sign up 16 maybe to many, but let's cross te bridge when we get there.

Cheers,
IcePack

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MudPuppy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:56 pm

IcePack wrote:MudPuppy - the rules are currently set up for the full 32-36 team set up (sorry at work whatever the full original amount was I thought 36 clans).

Depending on final number of sign ups will determine exactly how many clans get into post season. let's keep in mind rules as written are for te fully allocated 36 clans. 36 clans - 16 post season. Less then 36 - depends on how drastically less. MNDuke will discuss our # threshold for post season and get back if that's the case when signs commence. And these numbers are based roughly on sports we are looking to emulate, but are te current proposed amounts.

I understand if less sign up 16 maybe to many, but let's cross te bridge when we get there.

Cheers,
IcePack

Yes, the tourney is scheduled for 36 clans. I probably shouldn't have mentioned my what-if scenario of 31 or fewer clans signing up equating to a majority of clans reaching the playoffs. I don't want to detract from my main point that 16 playoff spots is too many even with all 36 spots filled. While I understand the NHL & NBA each have 16 playoff spots, the NFL has 12 and MLB has just 8. I would argue the primary reason the NHL/NBA have so many contenders is not because they feel it's the fairest methodology but because the playoffs are profitable and they are trying to maximize income.

Ultimately, it's up to you guys but by having such a large percentage of clans make the playoffs, you might as well just skip the season and make it a straight bracket tournament and save us the trouble of having to first play 252 games. While that statement is admittedly a bit of a an exaggeration, there is some truth to it.

In your attempt to be more inclusive in the playoffs you're essentially saying a 15-game playoff round is a better way of determining the best eight teams than a 252-game regular season. It is not! It will lead to a lesser level of competition in a post-season that should be filled with the best of the BEST teams... not the best/luckiest of the ABOVE AVERAGE teams.
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby IcePack on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm

We will consider all options / opinions and based on sign ups come up with a agreeable playoff structure / entry limits.
I don't want to commit to anything, but as it was loosely based on sporting we will keep it as is until we give further thought and discussion on it.

IcePack

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Master Fenrir on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:11 am

MNDuke wrote:Image

I hope the whole logo-that-looks-like-a-butt-plug thing really catches on.
General Master Fenrir

Postby MNDuke on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:16 am

Master Fenrir wrote:I hope the whole logo-that-looks-like-a-butt-plug thing really catches on.

I love it when you talk dirty to me
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby Rodion on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Master Fenrir wrote:
MNDuke wrote:Image

I hope the whole logo-that-looks-like-a-butt-plug thing really catches on.

It lacks originality.

General Rodion

Postby Jimmy V on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Legends of the Zone (LOTZ) are in. I will let you know who our Captains will be...
Sergeant 1st Class Jimmy V

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Glad to see another clan post interest! :D

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MNDuke on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 am

With the idea of tougher competition and making the season more meaningful, playoff teams have been reduced from 8 per conference to 6 (16 to 12) and altering the structure to incorporate a bye for the top seeds.
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:30 pm

MNDuke wrote:With the idea of tougher competition and making the season more meaningful, playoff teams have been reduced from 8 per conference to 6 (16 to 12) and altering the structure to incorporate a bye for the top seeds.

Well played!!

Happy to be of service.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby MNDuke on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:48 am

chapcrap wrote:
MNDuke wrote:With the idea of tougher competition and making the season more meaningful, playoff teams have been reduced from 8 per conference to 6 (16 to 12) and altering the structure to incorporate a bye for the top seeds.

Well played!!

Happy to be of service.

So now you are claiming sole credit for this one?
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby chapcrap on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 pm

MNDuke wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Well played!!

Happy to be of service.

So now you are claiming sole credit for this one?

No. The 'Well played!!' was in reference to what I quoted.

The 'Happy to be of service.' was in refernce to this:
MNDuke wrote:We are looking to add an Assistant to Commissioner or Co-Commissioner, to back-up IcePack. We've asked Chaps to do it, but in the case he declines we might need help with that.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby pmchugh on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:17 pm

You shouldn't have playoffs in there, that's what I thought you were going for. More of a league, the format is far too american :P
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:22 pm

pmchugh wrote:You shouldn't have playoffs in there, that's what I thought you were going for. More of a league, the format is far too american :P

This has been discussed already. We are having playoffs.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives