Conquer Club

The Official Clan Sitting Rules (Old Version)

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Official Clan Sitting Rules

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:40 am

greenoaks wrote:it seems to me a lot of players believe missing turns is the end of the world and sitters are a god given right.

perhaps all account sitting should be banned. no exceptions. you take your turn or it is missed.

+1

The simplest way to solve the problem imo

Yes it will be unpopular, so what? In the short term the site loses a few members (a decent chunk of which will be members who are fairly loose about following the rules anyway - aka CHEATS). In the long term there is no controversy, no big arguments, and the players that are left that are willing to play by the rules can play based on honest individual merit.
Major crispybits

Postby SirSebstar on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 am

crispybits wrote:
greenoaks wrote:it seems to me a lot of players believe missing turns is the end of the world and sitters are a god given right.

perhaps all account sitting should be banned. no exceptions. you take your turn or it is missed.

+1

Yes it will be unpopular, so what? In the short term the site loses a few members (a decent chunk of which will be members who are fairly loose about following the rules anyway - aka CHEATS). In the long term there is no controversy, no big arguments, and the players that are left that are willing to play by the rules can play based on honest individual merit.

I see CC as a place where regular people with jobs can play a bit of cc, even in the clanwars.
playing as a regular joe will mean real life sometimes throws you a curveball. So why should the punk with no job and unlimited time be better then me? The only difference being i would have to miss a turn or more, and that being a killer on any level playingfield.
With no sitting you would get a new type of farming, just extent the game long enough for someone to miss, and then you still win, regardless of your skill....
still i do get that its a lot easyer, so i'll grant you that. I like playing cc myself though, so letting someone else play for me, well thats.... hard for me. i use it rarely, but i do use it
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby IcePack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:33 am

My suggestion to "help" the 1 hour time rule is this:

Keep the 1 hour rule. If a turn is sat you must post in chat.
Expand the rule to 2-4 hours, and in addition to the chat a reason for sitting must also be given.

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:
IcePack for ChapCrap - he hurt his lady parts and is in the ER. It's 2300 and I'm off to bed, couldn't wait the extra 2 hours.

If patterns start emerging, or extensive use of the additional time is noticed, a clan can ask CD's to review the frequency and reasons and a they can either ok it, give a warning, etc.

This allows some flexibility, while keeping the intent to minimize sitting and abuse and allows the opposing clan easy access to info if they feel the other clan is going overboard.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jj3044 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:08 am

IcePack wrote:My suggestion to "help" the 1 hour time rule is this:

Expand the rule to 2-4 hours, and in addition to the chat a reason for sitting must also be given.

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:
IcePack for ChapCrap - he hurt his lady parts and is in the ER. It's 2300 and I'm off to bed, couldn't wait the extra 2 hours.

If patterns start emerging, or extensive use of the additional time is noticed, a clan can ask CD's to review the frequency and reasons and a they can either ok it, give a warning, etc.

This allows some flexibility, while keeping the intent to minimize sitting and abuse and allows the opposing clan easy access to info if they feel the other clan is going overboard.

Agreed. Or:
If emergency sitting for someone and their first game up is under an hour, you are allowed to "catch them up" for 4-8 hours (can debate the actual time frame). This allows for normal sleeping patterns. As long as the initial game is under an hour I think this would be an acceptable amendment?
Colonel jj3044

Postby jetsetwilly on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 am

jj3044 wrote:

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:

Agreed. Or:
If emergency sitting for someone and their first game up is under an hour, you are allowed to "catch them up" for 4-8 hours (can debate the actual time frame). This allows for normal sleeping patterns. As long as the initial game is under an hour I think this would be an acceptable amendment?

I will check with the other CD's but I think we were of the belief that in the event of an emergency, it's only the first turn that has to run to under an hour. If you are contacted and clearly told that a player will not be able to return for next 24 hours then it's reasonable to be able to catch them up as it were. I will confirm.
Sergeant 1st Class jetsetwilly

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:22 am

SirSebstar wrote:
crispybits wrote:

+1

I see CC as a place where regular people with jobs can play a bit of cc, even in the clanwars.
playing as a regular joe will mean real life sometimes throws you a curveball. So why should the punk with no job and unlimited time be better then me? The only difference being i would have to miss a turn or more, and that being a killer on any level playingfield.
With no sitting you would get a new type of farming, just extent the game long enough for someone to miss, and then you still win, regardless of your skill....
still i do get that its a lot easyer, so i'll grant you that. I like playing cc myself though, so letting someone else play for me, well thats.... hard for me. i use it rarely, but i do use it

I'm a normal joe - I have 2 jobs (though to be fair one of them is very irregular and doesn't take much time at all). I still manage to get in and make most of my turns (the one turn I missed on a game recently was down to my own stupid fault falling asleep and forgetting it was due)

The rules wouldn't favour one normal joe over another in the long run, as both will have the odd missed turn once in a while, so it should even out.

And as for extending games, well there is a skill is dragging a game out, and a skill to closing a game down quickly. Yes there would be different strategies coming into play, and some people would probably adapt better than others, but there would still be skill involved, and even better it would be the skill of the individual named in the game log, not their mate or clan-mate who has played hundreds or thousands of games more than them on that map.
Major crispybits

Postby IcePack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am

Fast posted: in reply to jet

That isn't what Bruce's response to themissionary seemed to indicate. But if that's the case please let us know. A big clarification.

Although if it's 2300 and the first game is 3 hours, 3.5 and 4 hours that still does nothing to help sit and my proposal would be more ideal.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jetsetwilly on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 am

IcePack wrote:Fast posted: in reply to jet

That isn't what Bruce's response to themissionary seemed to indicate. But if that's the case please let us know. A big clarification.

Although if it's 2300 and the first game is 3 hours, 3.5 and 4 hours that still does nothing to help sit and my proposal would be more ideal.

Oops so it does. I shall give myself a slap on the wrist and clarify.
Sergeant 1st Class jetsetwilly

Postby HardAttack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 am

crispybits wrote:

+1

since account sitting is a matter in risk game/s, or a matter of conquer club, so you have got a better deal maybe you fully close/shut down the site ? This way you wudnt needed to bother urselfves with account sitting problem/s... How is that ?
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 am

since account sitting is a matter in risk game/s, or a matter of conquer club, so you have got a better deal maybe you fully close/shut down the site ? This way you wudnt needed to bother urselfves with account sitting problem/s... How is that ?

So without account sitting CC ceases to exist? Please......
Major crispybits

Postby HardAttack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 am

crispybits wrote:

So without account sitting CC ceases to exist? Please......

brother,
believe me, yes account sitting is such an important part of gaming in this site, especially an unavoidable part of clan wars...
then it comes to clan/s ? lets remove them ? if happens, in very short time prolly this site wud lose 5000 customer in a month to a year...
that much ppl, directly or indirectly a part of this clan world.
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby BADPAT on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am

The main reason for the start of this thread is to minimise cheating in clanchallenges and clan tournaments wich IMHO opinion is a good idea as long as the rules that are gonna be set actually stop cheating and/or the breaking any CC rule.

I am sure that every single competitive clan has a thread of list in their own clan forums thats shows them the most favorite games and settings of their members. All home games are based on that detailed info as it gives the clanleaders and/or MOW the tools to form the best teams for any upcoming clanchallenge or clantournament. The same goes for the away games and fill those with the best team possible. ( one of the exceptions is the Random League with its random games ).

The majority of the games in challenges and tournaments is mostly dubs, trips and quads. ( and yes i know in this case there are also exceptions) but i want to use the dubs, trips and quads as an example.

At least a week or two before the start of any clanchallenge or clan tournament we start a thread in our forums about these upcoming challenges or tournaments and ask our members if they are available to take part in this challenge or tournament. This gives us the needed info in advance so we know who of our members can be used and who isnt gonna be around. If not available we just do not use those members. This will solv the most problems of missed turns or the need for a sitter.

As the clanleaders and/or Mows have created the best teams for those dubs, trips and quads why not use the teammates as an exclusive sitter for their fellow teammate and do not allow any other member of a clan that is not in that specific game as a sitter.

For dubs it will give you one sitter.
For trips it will give you two sitters.
For quads it will give you three sitters.

A seperate rule can be implimented for singles.

This will stop having members of a clan exceed the limit of games they are allowed to participate in and limits account sitting as clanleaders and/or MOWs have to think twice before putting a team in a game. Probably will minimise abuse as well and will solv the problem of players that for whatever reason dont have internet during weekends.

It is maby even possible to change the time limit of 1 hr into 4 hrs. ( Just an idea).

There is allways gonna be a bunch of players that are gonna cheat and CC is not an exception. It is unreal to think that most of the rules who have been sugested are gonna change that. Random ip checks for one is a good idea but its just not gonna work and certanly isnt gonna make you bust cheaters. There is enough free software around on the net that makes it possible to login CC or any other online game without you guys finding out and still will show you the ip of the players account that has been logged into withouth you guys knowing if it was that owner of the account or someone with the right software who is able to do so and lives at the other end of the world.

I still do appriciate the effort from the CD's side tho.

TY

BADPAT
Lieutenant BADPAT

Postby Vid_FISO on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:

But chapcrap was online for 3 hours 9-12 hours ago, played moves in 30+ games, played a handful of speed games, finished a couple of other games in RT, made a half dozen forum posts and sorted out a few pms, including the one that said "waiting for instructions in game xxxxxx, tonight's the quarterly night where the missus is willing to have shag which understandably I'm not going to rush as the next one is due around Easter, please wait for the instructions and follow them for me" (nothing against chapcrap of course, he's your example)
Major Vid_FISO

Postby IcePack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Vid_FISO wrote:

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:

But chapcrap was online for 3 hours 9-12 hours ago, played moves in 30+ games, played a handful of speed games, finished a couple of other games in RT, made a half dozen forum posts and sorted out a few pms, including the one that said "waiting for instructions in game xxxxxx, tonight's the quarterly night where the missus is willing to have shag which understandably I'm not going to rush as the next one is due around Easter, please wait for the instructions and follow them for me" (nothing against chapcrap of course, he's your example)

Not every game or every clan waits until the last hour and comments. Sometimes, a player plays all games he's able to and the has to step out.

If I (example) have 10 games ongoing and it's my turn in 6 of them. I play 3 quickly while drinking coffee before class and then go to class. If I fall and trip after class and break an ankle my turns should be able to get covered.

Again this is why you'd then post in the game chat the reasons. If a clan thinks its silly or sees that chap has been all over the forums they can ask for a review and CDs can warn the clan on a case by case basis, especially if patterns of abuse seem likely. That way legimate sitting can still be accomplished within different time zones etc and you have to justify every turn taken over 1 hour.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby chemefreak on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Okay. Don't you people have anything better to do? Like play some other player's turns? ;)
:twisted: ChemE :twisted:
Š±Ń€Š°Ń‚ŃŒŃ Š² руŠŗŠ¾ŃŃ‚ŠŗŠ°Ń…
I ā™„ ++The Legion++
Lieutenant chemefreak

Postby Vid_FISO on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 pm

chemefreak wrote:Okay. Don't you people have anything better to do? Like play some other player's turns? ;)

Nope, fancy a 1v1? :D
Major Vid_FISO

Postby [RFA]Juggalo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Honestly, this all sounds like a big joke. No im not saying that simply to whine and complain, as i do not sit or ask for sitters. To me this is a joke because you are butting specifically into the clan war field, which you may say "we wanna bring back under the blanket of total rule blah blah blah" as the "lines in clan activities have become blurred" but what is the real issue here. The only thing i can think of is people are complaining about losing clan wars BECAUSE someone is sitting? that is just stupid. If there is another reason please let me know, because i cannot think of another good reason to simply butt in and go "well gee guys you all need more rules, even though you are obviously capable of handling your own events and wars". It is kind of ridiculous to try and wrest power away from the people who are doing these events and wars. If anything, it should simply be let the clans decide what is fair amongst themselves. No one makes anyone play anything. Not to mention that you are taking isolated cases and blowing them out of proportion. This all seems like a vast overreaction to something that isnt a huge problem. Ive been doing clan wars since 2007, and have never once seen a "gross abuse" of the sitting rule. Nor have i ever felt i lost a game due to sitters. Seriously sounds like someone got butthurt about losing or not having total control over something, so lets all overreact and throw more rules into the mix, cuz that always solves all the problems. Oh wait no, the other thing, it doesnt, thats right. :roll:
Captain [RFA]Juggalo

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm

betiko wrote:
lol, so for you if one of your opponent takes a turn for a clanmate that has disapeared he is gaining an unfair advantage on you? That's funny, because I'd rather say that if an opponent misses a turn I gain an unfair advantage on him, as you know, you haven't eliminated that player yet the gameplay is doing so for 1 round(mostly on an escalating where missing a turn can be game over). Because this guy had something he had to attend to or whatever, means screw his team, and screw his clan. The opponent has just received the magical righ to play 2 back to back turns because they deserved it! then pops up this moron covering for his partner because he knows he's gonna miss, unfair advantage!!!

This is a crazy stance you are taking.
You are saying that the person who takes his own turn is gaining an unfair advantage over a person who doesn't take his own turn. That's nonsense.

Tbh, it just sounds like the lot of you are spoiled. You are used to being able to brush off your turn-taking responsibilities and someone will always break your fall. Besides, in this modern age there are computers everywhere. Heck, I can take turns from my phone on a bathroom break or even borrow my friend's phone if I have to (not in the bathroom scenario). If your clan has people in it who regularly miss turns then your clan is obviously weak. Honestly, whenever I am in a clan game and someone fills for someone else it really makes the person who missed look like a schmuck/weak player. Incidentally, it's almost always a more skilled player who does the filling in. The player who is in danger of missing is obviously just a warm body to fill a slot anyway and probably contributes zero to the game at hand.
A clan should consist of a group of players, not a small percentage of people pulling the puppet strings of all the rest. Let's imagine a clan war in real life. If there were 5 warriors who were completely fit and strong and the rest were just average citizens they would be slaughtered for sure. Also, if some warriors didn't show up for battle, the stronger warriors can't pick up their slack. So as far as missing turns: Suck it up cupcakes? Just admit your weaknesses and accept your standing in light of this.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby macbone on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:49 pm

See, here's the issue here. Conquer Club is a casual gaming site. It wasn't created to be a huge time-sink as I understand it. In a regular terminator-standard game, sure, it won't kill you to miss a turn (unless it's the final sweep in an Escalating game, but still, tough).

But with clans, it becomes more competitive, and say what you will, missing a turn costs your team. Yeah, this isn't super serious stuff, but I for one don't want to be the guy that makes my clan lose a game, and clan wars are decided all the time by the margin of one game.

Turn sitting has never been ruled illegal, and in fact guidelines are in place to allow it under certain situations, such as when a player is on vacation or is in danger of missing the turn. This has never been ruled against the rules.

What is a problem is when one player is taking difficult turns for other players, especially in the context of a clan war when caps are in place on the maximum number of games a player is allowed to play in. This is where the casual side of CC conflicts with the competitive side.

For those of you who have never had a turn sitter, I commend you. But personally, I don't want to disadvantage the teams I play on and potentially cause them to lose because I ended up with a bunch of meetings and couldn't take my turns at 1 pm during lunch like I had planned to earlier in the day, or my family decided to spend the day together at the space museum and I didn't want to spend fifteen minutes on my ipod catching up on my games. If Conquer Club wants to be simultaneously casual and competitive, it ought to have room both for the guy who can't always take his turn and doesn't want his team to lose and the guy who can't always take his turn and doesn't mind missing (and hopefully, he's playing on the opposite team from me (= ).
Colonel macbone

Postby uckuki on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:If there were 5 warriors who were completely fit and strong and the rest were just average citizens they would be slaughtered for sure.

Not if they were Samurai. They'd cut 'em up left and right. :)
Major uckuki

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 pm

uckuki wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:If there were 5 warriors who were completely fit and strong and the rest were just average citizens they would be slaughtered for sure.

Not if they were Samurai. They'd cut 'em up left and right. :)

Well, that's debatable. ;)
Let's take the example of 25 barbarians vs. 5 Samurai and 20 peasants. Which clan is your money on?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:09 pm

macbone wrote:See, here's the issue here. Conquer Club is a casual gaming site. It wasn't created to be a huge time-sink as I understand it. In a regular terminator-standard game, sure, it won't kill you to miss a turn (unless it's the final sweep in an Escalating game, but still, tough).

But with clans, it becomes more competitive, and say what you will, missing a turn costs your team. Yeah, this isn't super serious stuff, but I for one don't want to be the guy that makes my clan lose a game, and clan wars are decided all the time by the margin of one game.

Turn sitting has never been ruled illegal, and in fact guidelines are in place to allow it under certain situations, such as when a player is on vacation or is in danger of missing the turn. This has never been ruled against the rules.

What is a problem is when one player is taking difficult turns for other players, especially in the context of a clan war when caps are in place on the maximum number of games a player is allowed to play in. This is where the casual side of CC conflicts with the competitive side.

For those of you who have never had a turn sitter, I commend you. But personally, I don't want to disadvantage the teams I play on and potentially cause them to lose because I ended up with a bunch of meetings and couldn't take my turns at 1 pm during lunch like I had planned to earlier in the day, or my family decided to spend the day together at the space museum and I didn't want to spend fifteen minutes on my ipod catching up on my games. If Conquer Club wants to be simultaneously casual and competitive, it ought to have room both for the guy who can't always take his turn and doesn't want his team to lose and the guy who can't always take his turn and doesn't mind missing (and hopefully, he's playing on the opposite team from me (= ).

Here's the thing, mac : you're an honest guy. If everyone in every clan was like you I could care less and anyone could cover for anyone. It's the rotten apples that are causing these rules to be enacted and their presence, unfortunately, can't be ignored.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 pm

macbone wrote:See, here's the issue here. Conquer Club is a casual gaming site. It wasn't created to be a huge time-sink as I understand it. In a regular terminator-standard game, sure, it won't kill you to miss a turn (unless it's the final sweep in an Escalating game, but still, tough).

Then the players who are competitive should get together and be as ultra-competitive as they want, and if that matters to them then they won't miss 99.999% turns even if they don't have sitters. And the casual players will team up with the casual players and if people miss turns well it's just a bit of fun and nobody really cares if the odd game gets dropped for it.

But if a group of players wants to be competitive, then invites a bunch of casuals who only want to play when it's convenient for them to their team, then they should accept the consequences of that, in that turns will occasionally be missed, and should probably think hard about if they want to use those players for the competitive games.

And if someone is a casual player and they want to join the competitive arena, then they should accept that they will have to prioritise it higher than before and make sure they make time and opportunity to take all of the turns that entails.

But to say that the competitive players should be allowed to have use of casual player's accounts, knowing that those casuals will go AWOL from time to time and will miss turns, and then assume they can account share those accounts to play out the games that matter to them whenever they want..... that's just screwed up.
Major crispybits

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:19 pm

crispybits wrote:But if a group of players wants to be competitive, then invites a bunch of casuals who only want to play when it's convenient for them to their team, then they should accept the consequences of that, in that turns will occasionally be missed, and should probably think hard about if they want to use those players for the competitive games.

I love this paragraph. Well put.
If you've got riders on your coattails, they ought to weigh you down a little.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Keefie on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:22 pm

I have absolutely no problem with these rules at all. HH have never abused account sitting, we have never logged into other clan mates accounts to check fog games and if there is an odd missed turn then so what.

Personally I'd take this thing one step further and ban account sitting. It would be a darn site easier for everyone.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives