Conquer Club

You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Discussion]

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Discussion]

Postby Leehar on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:49 am

You Can Design the Clan Icons!

The previous 3 renditions of the Clan Icons for the Newsletter & cl5 had very nice logos, with Icons designed by dai_atan, bruceswar & DiM.

They'll now be integrated into the site in a more visible fashion, and in anticipation we're holding a competition for the new design.

First, have a look at samples of three previous Icons:

show

The Clan Icons are based on the standard CC Avatar.

These probably give you a decent idea of what the Clan Icons have in common:

1. Each is based on a clans immediately recognisable Avatar or Sig.
  2. The Icon may have the full name listed on it.
  3. Each needs the clans dedicated abbreviation
  4. Each has a distinctive border of some kind around the Icon.
  5. They are something in the neighborhood of 100 x 100 pixels.

Despite their similarities, the Icons are clearly distinctive. There is no mistaking the one for the other.

So now you know what we want:
The same, but different. Different, but the same. In other words, create a logo that is immediately recognizable as being in the same family as the others, but at the same time has a new and distinctive personality.
While the evaluation will be on individual images, the winner will need to be prepared to create copies for all clans & hopefully available for any other necessary amendments.

By the way, we also want to have a Banner to help market the event to others (and because my old signature disappeared). Signatures must follow these rules and be submitted along with the cup:
  • Include a copy of your actual Clan Icon from the stamp picture (must be the same Logo).
  • Must be no larger than 600 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall.
  • Should be less than 500 kbs in file size.

Now, about the contest:
  1. You have until September 13th to create your designs and submit them to Leehar using the PM Subject "Clan Icon Design Contest" (without the quotes).
  2. You must host your submitted images at least until the winners are announced.
  3. The entries will be judged by the Clan Directors.
  4. The following prizes will be offered if and only if there is decent popular interest in this contest, consisting of at least 5 serious entries:
    • Winner: A General Contribution medal as well as 6 months of premium membership
    • 1st Runner-Up: 1 Conquer Cup entry (or equivalent value in Conquer Credits)
  5. Fewer than 5 serious entries will result in no runner up prize.
  6. By submitting an entry, you obviously grant CC and the Clan Department the right to use your graphic. You certify that this is your work. Nothing is created in a vacuum, but please no blatant plagiarism *cough cough*.

Judging by some of the signatures and avatars out there, CC has no shortage of graphical genius, so this should be fun for a lot of you.
show
Colonel Leehar

Re: You Can Design the Official Clan Icons!

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:24 pm

NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Leehar on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:56 pm

added
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Swifte on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Very cool! Can't wait to see the next batch when they're done!
Colonel Swifte

Postby Armandolas on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

If i understand correctly, we need to create a frame icon, so every clan logo should be inserted inside the frame. Is that it?

What is the standard CC Avatar?
Last edited by Armandolas on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby IcePack on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Armandolas wrote:If i understand correctly, we need to create a frame icon, so every clan logo should be inserted inside the frame. Is that it?

Yeah, I am not sure I understand the scope of whats being requested. The frame? The frame and samples?
Actually creating icons for each clan that doesn't have one, and using ones already in place for those that have?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Keefie on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:43 am

5 days dosen't seem very long at all.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:45 am

Do we have to make them for every single clan? Or can we make a set of like 5-10 clans of what the new ones would look like and than, if we win, making the rest?

Either way, I like the competition, excited to see what others do.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Leehar on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 am

IcePack wrote:
Armandolas wrote:If i understand correctly, we need to create a frame icon, so every clan logo should be inserted inside the frame. Is that it?

Yeah, I am not sure I understand the scope of whats being requested. The frame? The frame and samples?
Actually creating icons for each clan that doesn't have one, and using ones already in place for those that have?

Make an icon. If you think a frame will make it more aesthetically pleasing then go for it.

As in the samples, you can see they're all based on a fundamental icon, but have slight differences that distinguish all of them. For the Official Icons, we'd like to commission similar icons but that also remain distinctive with an individual touch.

grifftron wrote:Do we have to make them for every single clan? Or can we make a set of like 5-10 clans of what the new ones would look like and than, if we win, making the rest?

Either way, I like the competition, excited to see what others do.

-griff

Leehar wrote:While the evaluation will be on individual images, the winner will need to be prepared to create copies for all clans & hopefully available for any other necessary amendments.

However you make a good point, perhaps a sample of 5 or so icons would provide better scope for evaluation.

So yes, we'd only want a limited amount of clan icons so we can evaluate an individuals design, and then commission them to make icons for all clans.

Keefie wrote:5 days dosen't seem very long at all.

Perhaps we can extend it a bit longer, but I don't want to delay the developers too long with the update we're hoping they can release soon.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby puppydog85 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 am

Just a suggestion but if it had a frame the you could make the top clans or winners of a competion have a different color frame (ie. F400 #1 ranked gets old trim)
Sergeant 1st Class puppydog85

Postby Armandolas on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:21 am

let me see if i get it right this time..so u want the clan icons?
isnt that up to every clan to decide what icon represent them?So i would make Kort icon a sheep...even if it would be funny it would not be nice!!
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Leehar on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Sheesh, you guys will be the death of me :lol:
Armandolas wrote:let me see if i get it right this time..so u want the clan icons?
isnt that up to every clan to decide what icon represent them?So i would make Kort icon a sheep...even if it would be funny it would not be nice!!

Thats why I mentioned
  1. Each is based on a clans immediately recognisable Avatar or Sig.

Here's an extension of all the images available, so if the Icons can be based on something similar for the respective clans that would be great. Obviously the scope for the Winner may be a bit bigger since they'll be commissioned to draw up new images for the missing clans as well.
Concept by Dai_atan
First set of images by Dai_atan
Second set of images and our current set of complete images by bruceswar
TOFU image by cachejob
Third Set Created By DiM

Images by DiM wrote:
show: icons

Images by bruceswar

show

Dai_atan's images
show

But for now, we just want to award someone for coming up with a new winning design, and only a few samples of their icons are necessary for that.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby angola on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:13 pm

puppydog85 wrote:Just a suggestion but if it had a frame the you could make the top clans or winners of a competion have a different color frame (ie. F400 #1 ranked gets old trim)

That's a pretty cool idea, though not sure how feasible since the winners and No.1 clan would change periodically.
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Captain angola

Postby Qwert on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:28 pm

well mine icons are not officials, so this mean that im first who apply for contest.
But im suspicion in one thing

>>The entries will be judged by the Clan Directors.<<

recent situation could put me in bad situation, because could judge subjective in mine icons, so maybe its better to step back with mine icons.
its will be more fair that clan leaders vote for new set.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Qwert wrote:well mine icons are not officials, so this mean that im first who apply for contest.

recent situation could put me in bad situation, because could judge subjective in mine icons, so maybe its better to step back with mine icons.

Don't worry... the ones I got coming are 10x better then yours.. so don't worry about winning this contest buddy.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Qwert wrote:well mine icons are not officials, so this mean that im first who apply for contest.

Art is always subjective, qwert. :P

There is such thing as good and bad, but there's also taste. Even those of us who are design professionals will have favourites among many perfectly awesome designs. Just how it is :P
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:55 am

Shannon Apple wrote:

There is such thing as good and bad, but there's also taste. Even those of us who are design professionals will have favourites among many perfectly awesome designs. Just how it is :P

I'd also add that, fairly often, a professional designer often prefers their own work over a colleague's or competitor's. Not always the case of course, but designers often have their own niche way of working because they prefer it, so automatically don't favour another designer's work as much as their own.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Leehar on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 am

Right now you'd still have a 50-50 shot of winning
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

I'd also add that, fairly often, a professional designer often prefers their own work over a colleague's or competitor's. Not always the case of course, but designers often have their own niche way of working because they prefer it, so automatically don't favour another designer's work as much as their own.

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. It is a designer's nature to always strive to be better at what he/she does. I know that personally, I will immediately see something that is better than my own and think "dammit, why didn't I think of that?" I am continually scrutinising my own work and thinking I can do better. For something like this on a forum, not so much. I'd create something without worrying about making it perfect and hope for the best because I know most are not designers, but do it as a hoby and aren't going to pick me apart and vice versa.

You have to appreciate that and perhaps with training, these people could be far more talented than I.

If I'm rebranding a company for instance, then I'm all out wanting to do something awesome to hold my reputation as a designer. Whatever that reputation is, but I'll still be looking back on it a year later and thinking "omg, that was shite." :lol:
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Leehar on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:54 pm

I'll close entries in around 12 hours. I'm sure we can get more than the 2 :)

With only the 2 cd's right now, I think I may very well submit it to CDF tomorrow to avoid a tie!
show
Colonel Leehar

Re: You Can Design the Official Clan Icons! [CDF Voting]

Postby Leehar on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Poll is up in CDF, we have the 2 new submissions, the icons from cl5, & the latest series of images used previously which we can have someone adapt for newer clans etc
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:

Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. It is a designer's nature to always strive to be better at what he/she does. I know that personally, I will immediately see something that is better than my own and think "dammit, why didn't I think of that?" I am continually scrutinising my own work and thinking I can do better. For something like this on a forum, not so much. I'd create something without worrying about making it perfect and hope for the best because I know most are not designers, but do it as a hoby and aren't going to pick me apart and vice versa.

You have to appreciate that and perhaps with training, these people could be far more talented than I.

If I'm rebranding a company for instance, then I'm all out wanting to do something awesome to hold my reputation as a designer. Whatever that reputation is, but I'll still be looking back on it a year later and thinking "omg, that was shite." :lol:

I'd partly agree, but I also know other graphic designers that always prefer their way of doing things and their own work over other people's, even if they genuinely aren't as good.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am

I do find some people who are absolutely terrible online too and claim that they are professional designers though! So, a lot of pro designers would be right in thinking that, because you can pretty much tell straight away who knows the rules of good design and who doesn't. They might be excellent at illustration, but their ability to actually design is blah. Crowdsourcing sites like 99designs are full of them which is why I don't waste my time on it. The client is not getting what they need. They are getting what they want, visually, at that particular time, but they aren't getting something that is created to the specific needs of their company. It's so, uh... dishonest? Yeah, I think that's the word for it. Also, you have a bunch of newly qualified designers working for free in the hopes that they get paid. All them wasted hours. :( I feel that both the designer and the client are being exploited in those instances. The prettiest might not actually be the best solution. Like some of the most successful brand identities in the world are the simplest. They're immediately recognisable and memorable.

You can be right about some designers though. I do know one guy that was in my Master's class last year and he wasn't a good designer at all, yet, he thought he was. It wasn't until he accepted his flaws that his stuff improved immensely.

.... and we're rambling off topic :lol:
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Qwert on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:41 am

shannon i dont know if you talk about me,,but im not any kind of designer, i just make this things for fun.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 am

Haha, no, not at all. I do this stuff for fun too.

Crowdsourcing sites are there to make a profit from clients and designers as they act as the middleman. :)
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Next

Return to Clan Archives