Conquer Club

Godless Heathen's [Social] [Recruitment] Thread

Find or create a usergroup based around a particular interest or commonality.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Atheists!?!

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:43 pm

As long as we start out with seq, non-speed games(which give you enough time to consider the options, as opposed to having to rely on experience and playing fast) we should stand a good chance.
C`mon, you guys can`t tell me you don`t understand basic strategy :D

P.S. Rank doesn`t mean all that much, depends how they got there.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:As long as we start out with seq, non-speed games(which give you enough time to consider the options, as opposed to having to rely on experience and playing fast) we should stand a good chance.

I agree. :D And seriously, we do have some very good players on here already. And some increadibly smart posters too. Really, I suppose, if it were a seq, non-speed game, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Thank-you for pointing that out Haggis_McMutton.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:P.S. Rank doesn`t mean all that much, depends how they got there.

For the record, I hate snipers.

P.S. FYI, I have a 40% win rate(since May :( ), but that's gonna drop a little, cause I am experimenting with team games. But! Like I said, my opponent's rank doesn't bother me. I know I kick ass.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Visaoni on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:01 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:As long as we start out with seq, non-speed games(which give you enough time to consider the options, as opposed to having to rely on experience and playing fast) we should stand a good chance.

For anybody rank means something. Maybe it means they're good at some random map nobody plays with odd settings, but that still means they are good at that map. ;)

No, I think we stand a chance. I just think that in a competition they would be able to win the majority of the games. Besides, God is on their side after all. He'll make the atmospheric noise around Dublin give them all good dice, and us crappy ones. Just watch.
Sergeant Visaoni

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:06 am

Visaoni wrote:

For anybody rank means something. Maybe it means they're good at some random map nobody plays with odd settings, but that still means they are good at that map. ;)

No, I think we stand a chance. I just think that in a competition they would be able to win the majority of the games. Besides, God is on their side after all. He'll make the atmospheric noise around Dublin give them all good dice, and us crappy ones. Just watch.

Or maybe they`re good at winning triple and quadruple games that they set up with their colonel buddies, against new recruits. ;)
I have no idea if they actually did something like this(they most likely didn`t, but some do), no offense to the JF if they`re reading.
Last edited by Haggis_McMutton on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Smokingdude420 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:10 am

Christianity - The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple from a magical tree ... yeah, makes perfect sense :lol:
Cadet Smokingdude420

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:58 am

I think CALEB THE CRUEL JESUS FREAK said that his clan was not likely to participate in here already. But they'll come around I'm sure, if it's friendly.
You're prolly right about the dice rolls though! That'll be our best excuse.....

Well, IDK SMOKINGDUDE420, when you put it like that...... :lol:

Postby Smokingdude420 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:48 am

i have a cool little picture to go along with it but i didn't want the mods getting mad like they got mad when i put the picture of jesus on the cross and said " not going anywhere for awhile? Grab a Snickers" :lol: i thought it was funny but the mods and the JF didn't seem to think so but yeah i thought my little saying was rather clever i mean its all true i just split it up to 1 paragraph rather then a whole book :D
Cadet Smokingdude420

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:28 pm

:o HEY! What happened to your call-out? Are you still trying to form clan?

Postby F1fth on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Hey, why not. I'll join.
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
Corporal F1fth

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:45 pm

F1fth wrote:Hey, why not. I'll join.

Great!!!!!

• JUAN_BOTTOM
  • SNORRI1234
  • DENOMINATOR
  • UNIT_2
  • HAGGIS_MCMUTTON
  • NEOTENY
  • VISAONI
  • ILIAD
  • F1FTH

Postby Smokingdude420 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote::o HEY! What happened to your call-out? Are you still trying to form clan?

yeah i closed it down im going to try a different approach rather then being a target for the Christian lunitacs
Cadet Smokingdude420

Postby Curmudgeonx on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:05 pm

I'll be your huckleberry
Corporal Curmudgeonx

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Curmudgeonx wrote:I'll be your huckleberry

Glad to have you CURMUDGEONX!!!!

• JUAN_BOTTOM
  • SNORRI1234
  • DENOMINATOR
  • UNIT_2
  • HAGGIS_MCMUTTON
  • NEOTENY
  • VISAONI
  • ILIAD
  • F1FTH
  • CURMUDGEONX

We have a clan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:35 pm

1)Name: You need a Usergroup name, think of something good.

2)Description: You need something to describe your Usergroup to the outside world.

3)Leader: You need a leader. Are you the leader?

4)Members: You need to recruit at least 9 members (not including yourself).

Ok, we have number four locked down!!!

Number one is going to be difficult, any awesome ideas?

Number two seems obvious, but anyone who wishes to add something, feel free to speak up. What exactly do you want our description to be? Absence of religious faith? Atheist/Agnostic? Bright?

number three: Obviously I have already taken on a leadership role here, but I never intended to nominate myself as the leader. How would you like the leadership to work? Dictatorship? Short term presidency? Revolving leaders? And who exactly do you want to run it?

The way I see it, everyone's vote counts, especially since we are such a small group. I would like to see that continue too, even after the details are sorted. If anyone wants to PM anyone, feel free to do so.

Once we get this matter settled, the leader can send in our application!

STILL ACCEPTING APPLICANTS!!!!!!!

Postby HapSmo19 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 pm

OK. I'm in if there's room for one more.

Let's take down some delusional freaks :P
Lieutenant HapSmo19

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:40 pm

First things first: Group name. I'm still partial to "Holy shit Richard Dawkins make me hot in my pants" but I'll submit the following as my first suggestion, with possibly more to come if nobody likes it. This one's courtesy of Woody Allen.

The Loyal Opposition

"To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition."
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Caleb the Cruel on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:19 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:I think CALEB THE CRUEL JESUS FREAK said that his clan was not likely to participate in here already. But they'll come around I'm sure, if it's friendly.

I'm sure we will, maybe not anytime soon, maybe not officially, but I'm sure there will eventually be some games played between members of the two tribes.

I also like how your recent memberships have focussed on taking down the freaks and whatnot. It's a good recruitment tool to attract persecuters, so I'll let you have that. But one thing I don't get is why many of you insist that you will lose! Sure we have a massive memberlist and sure we have some high-ranked individuals, but really that doesn't mean much. Watch the upcoming Clan War: JFC vs DRS and just see how poorly we can play! ;)
Corporal 1st Class Caleb the Cruel

Postby Neoteny on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:38 am

Caleb the Cruel wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:I think CALEB THE CRUEL JESUS FREAK said that his clan was not likely to participate in here already. But they'll come around I'm sure, if it's friendly.

I'm sure we will, maybe not anytime soon, maybe not officially, but I'm sure there will eventually be some games played between members of the two tribes.

I also like how your recent memberships have focussed on taking down the freaks and whatnot. It's a good recruitment tool to attract persecuters, so I'll let you have that. But one thing I don't get is why many of you insist that you will lose! Sure we have a massive memberlist and sure we have some high-ranked individuals, but really that doesn't mean much. Watch the upcoming Clan War: JFC vs DRS and just see how poorly we can play! ;)

Yes. We're going to persecute you. Try growing up a little bit.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Curmudgeonx on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:10 am

Martyrdom and persecution is an necessary part of religious fervor
Corporal Curmudgeonx

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

I`m not very creative, so I`m not sure I`ll be able to help with the name. But i do think modifying a chapter name or quote or something from dawkins/douglas adams/etc might work. Immortal coils?, gene machines?, improbability drive?, pie?, you scratch my back, i ride yours? (ok, no pie :D)

Description should probably have something standard that let`s players know we are a competitive clan, but also enjoy debates + something a little more original. I dunno, Russel`s teapot or similar analogies might be a little cliche, maybe a quote(what was that one Douglas Adams made about fairies at the bottom of the garden?).

As to the leader, elections might be interesting once we have a few more members. I don`t think anyone would object to you taking the first term though, Juan. And once the clan is established we can make a vote about whether we go with elections or let you glue the crown on :lol:
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 pm

HapSmo19 wrote:OK. I'm in if there's room for one more.

Let's take down some delusional freaks :P

Good, You're in! Tell your friends!

• JUAN_BOTTOM
  • SNORRI1234
  • DENOMINATOR
  • UNIT_2
  • HAGGIS_MCMUTTON
  • NEOTENY
  • VISAONI
  • ILIAD
  • F1FTH
  • CURMUDGEONX
  • HAPSMO19

Postby gdeangel on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:22 pm

See, there is something slightly comical about having a clan called "Jesus Freaks". There is nothing comical about calling a clan "Atheist Clan" or the "Islamist Clan". That's just factional. Where is the witty irreverence of the intellectual atheist: see http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/4/13rock.html

And BTW, I really thought G1 was all about talking about transformers. It's just so much fun. See http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2007/7/9weaver.html
My ever constant two last games seem to have no end in sight!
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby Visaoni on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Description should probably have something standard that let`s players know we are a competitive clan, but also enjoy debates + something a little more original. I dunno, Russel`s teapot or similar analogies might be a little cliche, maybe a quote(what was that one Douglas Adams made about fairies at the bottom of the garden?).

I'm very partial to the teapot idea, or something similar. Perhaps somebody can find a creative way to associate God and the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

And I think the quote was something along the lines of "I can think a garden is beautiful without believing their are fairies living in it." I don't think that is exactly right, but I'm pretty sure it is close.

Caleb the Cruel wrote: I also like how your recent memberships have focussed on taking down the freaks and whatnot. It's a good recruitment tool to attract persecuters, so I'll let you have that. But one thing I don't get is why many of you insist that you will lose! Sure we have a massive memberlist and sure we have some high-ranked individuals, but really that doesn't mean much. Watch the upcoming Clan War: JFC vs DRS and just see how poorly we can play! ;)

I'm really the only one who isn't so sure, but I can be a bit of a pessimist. To be honest I think it would be fun if the two clans constantly had a couple games going on. Those who cared could keep track of who had won more games, but there wouldn't have to be an official score or anything. Hopefully after a bit some usual players would emerge, and people would know enough other enough to get some good natured banter going back and forth. Although I do think CC would need to see an official tournament sometime.

Juan_Bottem wrote:1)Name: You need a Usergroup name, think of something good.

2)Description: You need something to describe your Usergroup to the outside world.

3)Leader: You need a leader. Are you the leader?

1) As I said above, I think something about "the teapot" or some similar thing would be great. I'll try to do some more searching of Dawkin's chapters to see if anything pops out at me.
2) Do we have any agnostics so far? If not then it might not be worth pursuing that angle. As far as I can tell, they are going to be in the extreme minority, and to some degree may feel a little left out and might not be totally comfortable within the clan. Look at our ideas for names even. Anyway, that aside, I agree with Haggis. Competitive and open to debates sounds great to me.
3) I agree with Haggis again. You did all this, so you might as well take the lead role. Once the clan is up and running we can have elections for how we want to run it from there.
Last edited by Visaoni on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Visaoni

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Neoteny wrote:The Loyal Opposition

"To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition."

I like it, BUT it does create a US vs. Cristians aura, doesn't it?
But I do like it.... I'll have to wait and here what other ideas get tossed out there before I put my hat in any rings...

Caleb the Cruel wrote: Watch the upcoming Clan War: JFC vs DRS and just see how poorly we can play!

Trust me Mr. Caleb, I am!

Neoteny wrote:Yes. We're going to persecute you. Try growing up a little bit.

Curmudgeonx wrote:Martyrdom and persecution is an necessary part of religious fervor

Are these more name suggestions? :)

I'm kinda with you Haggis, I'm drawing a (witless) blank here. This really must be the hard part....

I was just about to post this when........ GDEANGEL made an excellant point! Though he kinda took the piss out of it :D ....

Postby Visaoni on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:31 pm

gdeangel wrote:See, there is something slightly comical about having a clan called "Jesus Freaks". There is nothing comical about calling a clan "Atheist Clan" or the "Islamist Clan". That's just factional. Where is the witty irreverence of the intellectual atheist: see http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/4/13rock.html

And BTW, I really thought G1 was all about talking about transformers. It's just so much fun. See http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2007/7/9weaver.html

Oh, don't worry. We'll find something. "Atheist Clan" won't be it for sure.

I think the hardest part of all this is going to be finding a reference everybody is going to get. Many people who are well-read in their Atheist literature will get many of the ideas suggested already, but we need to find something that doesn't require any previous knowledge. The JCers had it easy. Anybody able to get online knows who Jesus is.
Sergeant Visaoni

PreviousNext

Return to Create/Join a Social Usergroup