Germany Revamp Competition - FINAL VOTE (page one)

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map would you like to see as CC's Germany Map?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Map F
89
37%
Map I
153
63%
 
Total votes : 242

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm

MrBenn told me to keep the names of everything.
Gfx and coordinates could change
Image
Colonel WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2781
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:11 pm

I'd refer you to point #3 of the competition rules:
The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible

Territory names and border connections should remain unchanged.
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7050
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby edbeard on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:51 pm

I've always said that I think the large OR small thing is a bad idea. when you're doing mass votes from the public, you want them to be as close as possible. Either require both (seems like a lot of work). Or, require one or the other. I'd go with the small map since we've been told on numerous occasions that a large majority of people use the small map. Maybe it's too late now. I'd love to be given reign to run a revamp competition.


Though maybe I don't know anything. I liked Pep's Germany for the most part. I quite liked the colour scheme (at least the idea of it). The map was obviously a "Pep" map. People won't like any change for the most part even from terrible looking maps. Mibi or WM talked about this so I won't go into it. Anyway, enough complaining. I just hope this doesn't turn into another Central America thing where it never gets finished (I didn't look but I'm assuming this was abandoned). I always look forward to seeing the entries. We always get good ones.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am

For the record, i thought the colors on the Germany 2 map were great. I liked the design and how it tied in with the flag. But everything else, ie mountains on the Rhine and the font, were a problem.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
User avatar
Cook Industrial Helix
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: California
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:45 am

Industrial Helix wrote:ie mountains on the Rhine

Whatcha mean?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... d_topo.jpg

The Rhine isn't near one of the places where the impassable's are on the CC map.
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm thinking of the ones between Nord-Deutscheland and Munster, I always figured they were to represent the Rhine as an impassable. I guess it would be more around Dusseldorf and Koln if it were.

I agree that the gameplay is not right for Germany, but I still think the design is pretty good.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
User avatar
Cook Industrial Helix
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: California
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:34 pm

The map is very inaccurate. Rivers and mountains are in the wrong places. My revamp will try to fix this flaw. I will keep the same territs, but the connections will need to be altered.
I suggest that the old coding be scrapped. In my opinion it is better to just let this revamp do its job to fix this turd. Sorry if I offend anyone, but why should we polish up a piece of crap ?

Lets just revamp it to fix all of the mistakes. There is nothing worth trying to salvage from this attempted revamp. So, just toss the code in the trash along with the horrible graphics.

My graphics are close to being complete, I think it is much more accurate, and I think that it will please those that have been complaining about this last revamp. ;)
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:51 pm

porkenbeans wrote:The map is very inaccurate. Rivers and mountains are in the wrong places. My revamp will try to fix this flaw. I will keep the same territs, but the connections will need to be altered.
I suggest that the old coding be scrapped. In my opinion it is better to just let this revamp do its job to fix this turd. Sorry if I offend anyone, but why should we polish up a piece of crap ?

Lets just revamp it to fix all of the mistakes. There is nothing worth trying to salvage from this attempted revamp. So, just toss the code in the trash along with the horrible graphics.

My graphics are close to being complete, I think it is much more accurate, and I think that it will please those that have been complaining about this last revamp. ;)

I'll just let you know right now that your map will be ineligible for the competition. Read the title, thanks.
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:The map is very inaccurate. Rivers and mountains are in the wrong places. My revamp will try to fix this flaw. I will keep the same territs, but the connections will need to be altered.
I suggest that the old coding be scrapped. In my opinion it is better to just let this revamp do its job to fix this turd. Sorry if I offend anyone, but why should we polish up a piece of crap ?

Lets just revamp it to fix all of the mistakes. There is nothing worth trying to salvage from this attempted revamp. So, just toss the code in the trash along with the horrible graphics.

My graphics are close to being complete, I think it is much more accurate, and I think that it will please those that have been complaining about this last revamp. ;)

I'll just let you know right now that your map will be ineligible for the competition. Read the title, thanks.
MrBenn wrote:The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.

I know how to read 44. It clearly says that there is leeway. Like I said, I have kept the same territs and bonus areas the same, but in order to bring the map in to line with the proper geography, some things will have to change. Take a close look at a real map of Germany. You will see that this map is utterly void of reality. My revamp WILL be geographically correct. The mountains will be where they are supposed to be, and the same goes for the rivers. This map is in need of a revamp not just because it is butt-ugly, but also because it is "fantasy-land". My revamp will be a map of GERMANY, ...thank you very much. :P
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:28 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:The map is very inaccurate. Rivers and mountains are in the wrong places. My revamp will try to fix this flaw. I will keep the same territs, but the connections will need to be altered.
I suggest that the old coding be scrapped. In my opinion it is better to just let this revamp do its job to fix this turd. Sorry if I offend anyone, but why should we polish up a piece of crap ?

Lets just revamp it to fix all of the mistakes. There is nothing worth trying to salvage from this attempted revamp. So, just toss the code in the trash along with the horrible graphics.

My graphics are close to being complete, I think it is much more accurate, and I think that it will please those that have been complaining about this last revamp. ;)

I'll just let you know right now that your map will be ineligible for the competition. Read the title, thanks.
MrBenn wrote:The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.

I know how to read 44. It clearly says that there is leeway. Like I said, I have kept the same territs and bonus areas the same, but in order to bring the map in to line with the proper geography, some things will have to change. Take a close look at a real map of Germany. You will see that this map is utterly void of reality. My revamp WILL be geographically correct. The mountains will be where they are supposed to be, and the same goes for the rivers. This map is in need of a revamp not just because it is butt-ugly, but also because it is "fantasy-land". My revamp will be a map of GERMANY, ...thank you very much. :P

You do what you want. I'm just telling you that during the competition, Benn doesn't want names, borders, or impassables changed.
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby Incandenza on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:35 pm

In your earlier post, you said that "connections will need to be altered". Like it or not, the connections have to remain the same, that's the fundamental tenet of revamps. Just worth bearing in mind, I'd hate to see you waste a lot of time and effort on a cool map that doesn't meet the guidelines.

Heh, fastposted by 44.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:17 pm

MrBenn wrote:Competition Rules:
2. The competition is for a graphical revamp only: territory names and border connections must be unchanged from the current live version of the Germany Map.


Let me say that 44 and Inca are just trying to help you by pointing out the rules of the competition. If you won't listen to them, listen to me. pork, I'm sure your map will be great, but it will not meet the criteria for this competition if you change the gameplay(territory connections/borders/impassibles) in any way.

You've shown excellent ability with the graphics of map making, I'm sure you can come up with ways to make the current gameplay mesh with your... vision of Germany. ;) Good luck.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Captain RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:59 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 pm

MrBenn wrote:The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.

Well, I am confused. Mrbenn says very clearly that "flexibility" WILL be allowed.

WHICH IS IT ?????

I wish you guys would get your act together. How can anyone be expected to work on these projects, when this kind of crap is going on ?

Why don't you guys figure it out, and then with a single voice, Lay out the requirements, instead of these BS contradictory rules.
Last edited by porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby edbeard on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Mr. Benn is talking about moving army circles and the physical location of borders.

People think you are saying changing the actual gameplay (eg: you make Berlin and Dresden connect when currently they do not)

I'm unsure as to what you mean.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:03 pm

porkenbeans wrote:MrBenn wrote:The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.

Well, I am confused. Mrbenn says very clearly that "flexibility" WILL be allowed.

WHICH IS IT ?????

I wish you guys would get your act together. How can anyone be expected to work on these projects, when this kind of crap is going on ?

Why don't you guys figure it out, and then with a single voice, Lay out the requirements, instead of these BS contradictory rules.

What REVAMP so far has ever changed the gameplay? Circus Maximus, Indochina, Montreal, Midgard, British Isles, Brazil, even pep's Germany?
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 pm

In my opinion, I think that they are going at it wrong. I totally understand that it would be nice to do a revamp without changing any code. In most cases I would go along with this, but this map is in need of more than just a graphic revamp. The geography is wrong in many places. Why on Earth would you just make up rivers and mountains, and place them willy nilly, when it is just as easy to use the actual rivers and mountains that Germany has plenty of.

I suspect that they might be looking for a clean transition for the games that are already in progress.

I believe that there is a simple solution that will sidestep this whole problem.

Why is it not possible to just roll out this new revamp when it is ready. The games that are already in progress on the old map, can just be allowed to finish without changing the map. The start a game on the old map can be disabled. But the games that are going can finish on out. Then when they are finished, the old version can be disabled or deleted or whatever you need to do.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:MrBenn wrote:The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.

Well, I am confused. Mrbenn says very clearly that "flexibility" WILL be allowed.

WHICH IS IT ?????

I wish you guys would get your act together. How can anyone be expected to work on these projects, when this kind of crap is going on ?

Why don't you guys figure it out, and then with a single voice, Lay out the requirements, instead of these BS contradictory rules.

What REVAMP so far has ever changed the gameplay? Circus Maximus, Indochina, Montreal, Midgard, British Isles, Brazil, even pep's Germany?
The geography on the maps that you have mentioned did not need to be corrected.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:29 pm

edbeard wrote:Mr. Benn is talking about moving army circles and the physical location of borders.

People think you are saying changing the actual gameplay (eg: you make Berlin and Dresden connect when currently they do not)

I'm unsure as to what you mean.
What I mean is, there are impassable mountains where none exist. There are impassable rivers where none exist. There are mountains where rivers should be and visa-versa.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby edbeard on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
edbeard wrote:Mr. Benn is talking about moving army circles and the physical location of borders.

People think you are saying changing the actual gameplay (eg: you make Berlin and Dresden connect when currently they do not)

I'm unsure as to what you mean.
What I mean is, there are impassable mountains where none exist. There are impassable rivers where none exist. There are mountains where rivers should be and visa-versa.


In the case where you've got mountains and rivers mixed up that's pretty simple. when you've got impassable mountains and none really exist there then you've got a problem.

this is where you have to just get creative. In the Canada revamp we saw someone use clouds. There's more than one way to make an impassable border. you can go back to the old Germany and Brazil style where you've just got an impassable border for gameplay purposes. you've got no rules as to how you're going to do it. obviously, since you're trying to make a real representation of Germany, you've got a harder job.

bottom line is it's a graphics only revamp. that's all that can change.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby Incandenza on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 pm

porkenbeans wrote:What I mean is, there are impassable mountains where none exist. There are impassable rivers where none exist. There are mountains where rivers should be and visa-versa.


Yes, because pepperonibread had to fit his revamped image to fit the exact gameplay of the old Germany map. All Revamps have had to follow the same template: absolutely no gameplay changes. When MrB was talking about "flexibility", he was referring to XML coordinates and the precise drawing of terits, NOT flexibility on gameplay.

The "no changed gameplay" rule has always been the case, with this and other revamps. While that's not necessarily the ideal situation in this case, that's the way it is. This is not policy set by the foundry, but rather by lackattack, so if you'd like to protest, don't blame the foundry, address all comments to the big turtle.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:58 am

Incandenza wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:What I mean is, there are impassable mountains where none exist. There are impassable rivers where none exist. There are mountains where rivers should be and visa-versa.


Yes, because pepperonibread had to fit his revamped image to fit the exact gameplay of the old Germany map. All Revamps have had to follow the same template: absolutely no gameplay changes. When MrB was talking about "flexibility", he was referring to XML coordinates and the precise drawing of terits, NOT flexibility on gameplay.

The "no changed gameplay" rule has always been the case, with this and other revamps. While that's not necessarily the ideal situation in this case, that's the way it is. This is not policy set by the foundry, but rather by lackattack, so if you'd like to protest, don't blame the foundry, address all comments to the big turtle.
:lol:
Thank you for spelling it out so that it is more clear.

Let me pose a scenario, and then tell me what the Foundry's position would be.

Lets say someone produced a Germany map, that is unique in both game play, and geography, from this current map in question.

Would there be room for 2 Germany maps ?

It's just that the map that I have made is an accurate representation of Germany. I am now finding it very hard to bring myself to ruin it, by making rivers and mountains where none exist, for the sake of keeping to an inaccurate map. I am not from Germany, but I would think that the German CCers, would appreciate a map that shows an accurate representation of their country.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant porkenbeans
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Incandenza wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:What I mean is, there are impassable mountains where none exist. There are impassable rivers where none exist. There are mountains where rivers should be and visa-versa.


Yes, because pepperonibread had to fit his revamped image to fit the exact gameplay of the old Germany map. All Revamps have had to follow the same template: absolutely no gameplay changes. When MrB was talking about "flexibility", he was referring to XML coordinates and the precise drawing of terits, NOT flexibility on gameplay.

The "no changed gameplay" rule has always been the case, with this and other revamps. While that's not necessarily the ideal situation in this case, that's the way it is. This is not policy set by the foundry, but rather by lackattack, so if you'd like to protest, don't blame the foundry, address all comments to the big turtle.
:lol:
Thank you for spelling it out so that it is more clear.

Let me pose a scenario, and then tell me what the Foundry's position would be.

Lets say someone produced a Germany map, that is unique in both game play, and geography, from this current map in question.

Would there be room for 2 Germany maps ?

It's just that the map that I have made is an accurate representation of Germany. I am now finding it very hard to bring myself to ruin it, by making rivers and mountains where none exist, for the sake of keeping to an inaccurate map. I am not from Germany, but I would think that the German CCers, would appreciate a map that shows an accurate representation of their country.


There is room for more than one map of the same area... BUT the maps would have to be unique (more than just a few connections) and would probably require some interesting gameplay to warrant having two separate maps. And of course the worse news is that the new map would have to start at the beginning of the new map making process, and could not get a huge leg up from being a revamp (where gameplay is already set in stone and therefore does not need to be reapproved).

The thing about this current map though - most of the region names are derived from cities that reside within those regions. MANY of those cities are located on rivers, so with a bit of stretching and small redrawing you should be able to include all the current regions accurately with real rivers and maintaining the current gameplay. I would definitely advise this route instead of trying to create a new slightly different Germany II
User avatar
Major sully800
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 pm
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby Incandenza on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:34 am

Setting aside the fact that there is no such thing as a "foundry position" on anything (given that the foundry is just a collection of individuals who often disagree), I personally would say that a second, completely different Germany map would be a tough row to hoe, so to speak. Right off the bat, there's the issue of repetition. CC already has the notably-geographically-flawed Germany map, plus the proto-German Holy Roman Empire map, plus the German Unification map making its way thru the main foundry. Having two maps that only depict the exact same country (in the same thematic context) would be a first for CC, and that's a Rubicon that I'm not sure many people would be willing to cross. Certainly there are overlaps between maps, but they are different in either geographical scope (like the aforementioned Germany vs. HRE) or theme (USA vs. USApocalypse, or Australia vs. Rail Australia, or France vs. France 1789). The only thing that really comes close is Europe vs. Europa, and then we're talking about an entire continent of a half-billion people as opposed to just a single country. The problem with Germany is that there really isn't much more that can be done thematically with the country, since the country itself is still only, what 130 years old, with a decent portion of that history off-limits for obvious reasons. Given that its distant past (HRE), somewhat-less-distant past (German Unification), and present are taken care of, Germany's pretty well taken care of, and having a map that's simply more accurate geographically isn't a lot to hang your hat on.

You're obviously welcome to give the idea a whirl and submit the map to the usual foundry process, but there will certainly be resistance. German CCers may or may not cotton to the idea, but the fact remains that it's almost always necessary to suborn real-world geography to gameplay needs. Also, before you think that Germans would flock to your map, have a look at the absolute clusterfuck that was the British Isles revamp, which took over a year IIRC.

It sucks that you spent a lot of time and effort on a map that isn't currently eligible for the revamp competition, and I understand that you don't just want to turn your back on all that, but ask yourself if it's worth spending potentially another year on a map that, geographical accuracy aside, would merely duplicate something already in the CC map library.

EDIT: fastposted by sully, who makes some excellent points that I should have thought of
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:02 am

MrBenn wrote:3. The general layout should be as close to the current map as possible; the idea is to make the transition between maps as easy as possible this time around, and in an ideal world we would want to keep the XML (technical description of the map) unchanged - although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary.


Sorry for your confusion, this part "- although some flexibility will be allowed where necessary." refers to the XML coordinates ONLY. Meaning that placement of the armies by the XML on the map we would like to keep as close to the original as possible. You don't have to have a XML file ready when you finish. If your image is a slightly different size, or your "Berlin" is a different spot slightly then pep's this will require a change to the XML file.

"The general layout" part just means Germany should look like Germany. You can change the LOOK of the map, but not the gameplay as everyone in this thread has been trying to explain to you. If you want to make the physical appearance of a border different, go ahead, if a border needs to curve left instead of right for some reason, okay. Change the font, change the colors, etc... all okay. A mountain instead of a river..... eh alright, but it must still block the same territories!

porkenbeans wrote:It's just that the map that I have made is an accurate representation of Germany. I am now finding it very hard to bring myself to ruin it, by making rivers and mountains where none exist, for the sake of keeping to an inaccurate map. I am not from Germany, but I would think that the German CCers, would appreciate a map that shows an accurate representation of their country.


It is as sully says, it would not likely pass through because it won't be unique enough. If you like to go for some sort of Germany 2.0 it will have to have unique gameplay(i.e. 80-90 territories or more) you would have a better chance of getting through.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Captain RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:59 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Re: Germany Graphics ONLY Revamp Competition

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:25 pm

What about France 1989 and the France map?

They're reasonably similar and both are available, though 1789 purports to have a historical theme which it really doesn't.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
User avatar
Cook Industrial Helix
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: California
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login