Conquer Club

Official: Centerscape Competition - Round 2!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Vote for which map you wish to see in full production!

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Entry 1
22%
Entry 2
25%
Entry 4
53%

Total votes : 269

Re: Official: Centerscape Competition - VOTE

Postby saaimen on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:57 am

wcaclimbing wrote:1. Fix the border problems.
2. replace some of those lakes with mountains.
3. Find a theme and adapt the map to it, or face the fact that #3 is better.
4. quench.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:11 am

cairnswk wrote:Mmmmm. thought this before i read the line below..perhaps the commentor givez a clue whose map it is.

pepperonibread wrote:4 is hot stuff with those mountains.

Heh, if only I submitted one. I definitely know who 4 is by though.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby barterer2002 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 am

Wow, great entries there guys.

Alright, here's what I'm looking at (and I haven't looked through all 6 pages of this thread to see what others have said so I apologize if I repeat anyone).

Anyway.

Map 1. I'd like to see a little more differentiation in the color between the wastelands and the Stone Wilderness. I like the design even better than the old Middle Earth map.

Map 2. I love the pirates theme of this one and while I know the game play is the same I'm not certain that it brings back Middle Earth memories which is part of what I'm looking for here. I'm hopeful that this map gets completed in addition to the competition because I think its great, and I love the pirate names (Dread Pirate Roberts, Captain Crunch, Captain Morgan etc). This would be a very cool map to play.

Map 3. From my view, this map and Map 4 are the two that are closest to the old Middle Earth map and if the idea is to bring that back then one of the two of them should win the competition. This one gives a very middle ages type of feel to the map and I like the way the bridges point which way they go (so that the one way bridge is arrowed on one end and the rest are double tipped).

Map 4. In terms of staying with the original Middle Earth map, this one even brings the colors closest to that which we knew. I'm going to vote for this one simply because I know that Middle Earth was a very popular map and that this particular version is closest to the original.

I'm also hopeful that some of the others (especially Pirates) make it to gameplay as well.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Thezzaruz on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:08 pm

#2 is just stunning on first look but it gets a bit too much after a while. Well done. =D>

#4 looks a bit bland but also inviting and interesting to play. Very well done. =D> =D>
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby pamoa on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:23 pm

Congratulations and thanks to the 4 of you! =D>
#4 is my favorite it's the one which give the best feeling of it's former unnameable version.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby saaimen on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm

pamoa wrote:#4 is my favorite it's the one which give the best feeling of it's former unnameable version.

But it has no theme. Jeez, I don't get the #4 hype.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby lgoasklucyl on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:15 pm

saaimen wrote:
pamoa wrote:#4 is my favorite it's the one which give the best feeling of it's former unnameable version.

But it has no theme. Jeez, I don't get the #4 hype.

I agree. I voted for #3 for the sake of the thought put into the theme-aspect. The graphics may be a LITTLE sharper on #4 but I prefer theme of gfx (I'm not sure a map could be thrown into the foundry based on nothing but prettyness outside of the comp. so why in here?) My only problem with #3 graphics-wise is the opacity of the brick texture used on the background. I don't know why, I suppose it's because I KNOW what the texture looks like normally, and it feels like it's still too brick-ish too me (I suppose. Or maybe I'm just comparing it to a brick wall texture in my mind, and that's what's getting to me).

Honestly, though, #4 could push a theme into its style AFTER the comp, if need be.

#3 still retains my vote though

:D
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:54 pm

i doubt 3 is making a comeback... oh well
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby RjBeals on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Nobody has suggested a theme for number-4 as far as I can tell. It sure does appear that this map will be our winner - any theme ideas for the carto? It looks like the creator intentionally left it unfinished, in order to get feedback from the community. I guess thats why he/she has just the region colors for the bonus names.
Private RjBeals

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:10 pm

RjBeals wrote:Nobody has suggested a theme for number-4 as far as I can tell. It sure does appear that this map will be our winner - any theme ideas for the carto? It looks like the creator intentionally left it unfinished, in order to get feedback from the community. I guess thats why he/she has just the region colors for the bonus names.

You're so subtle...

Personally, I think the map is fine as is. I don't understand why every map needs to have a theme. If the gameplay is solid - and we know it is - and the graphics look good - which they are - I'll play on it.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby edbeard on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 pm

it certainly looks like a winner has been determined but there is still a second round so anything can happen. though maybe less of a possibility when it would appear that everyone will move on to the next round. But, since #1 has tons of room for improvement, I'll say it again, "anything can happen".

I do think no theme or any idea of one is a glaring minus for this map but that's juxtaposed against all the big pluses so that makes it stand out more. And, the umm, asking ideas for a theme (well actually that was Rj not the mystery mapmaker) doesn't inspire confidence in getting one. But, I am in major agreement with Z on this matter. I don't think it really needs one and if you, I mean, it gets a ton of votes in the next round without one, it should generally be left as-is because that's what people voted for.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Looking closer, I noticed on #4's bonus that there are random splotches in the "flags." Just something to be fixed next rnd.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm

What a great idea RJ!!!!!!! [/sarcasm]

^oops, forgot the first bracket!

anyways, if the cartographer really wants a theme, they can easily use a similar fantasy theme that the original centerscape had... with trolls, elves, wizards, dwarfs, men, and hobbits (err.... scratch the hobbits.) But i think that would work really well, then maybe the cartographer could incorporate little pictures into the regions or make the regions differently colored to adhere to the said species to which they belong.

i dunno if that makes sense, but if it doesn't, feel free to pm me rj.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby oaktown on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:35 am

edbeard wrote:it certainly looks like a winner has been determined but there is still a second round so anything can happen. though maybe less of a possibility when it would appear that everyone will move on to the next round.

If I were the maker of #3 I don't think I'd be too excited about making a redo. With just 22 of 300 votes, it's clearly not what folks are looking for in a Centerscape map. Not that I have any insight into that mapmaker's state of mind... I'm just saying, is all.

As for a theme for #4 (and #1), I was originally disappointed that considering all of the talent we have around here only two mapmakers made the effort to lay the Centerscape gameplay over an original theme. My earlier comments should not be considered a poke at the mapmaker (who has a made a great map) but at all of the mapmakers out there who couldn't come up with something. You should all consider the brainpower that went into #3 and #2 and wonder if you capable of such feats. ;)

The winning map can, of course, have no theme and just be called "Centerscape" but I don't think that will bring in the players that the same map will attract if it's got a really good idea behind it. Or it can be called Centerscape and create an entirely new land of dragons and magic. Hmm, a few dragons would kinda kick ass on that map.
Captain oaktown

Postby pamoa on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:22 am

saaimen wrote:But it has no theme. Jeez, I don't get the #4 hype.

RjBeals wrote:Nobody has suggested a theme for number-4 as far as I can tell. It sure does appear that this map will be our winner - any theme ideas for the carto? It looks like the creator intentionally left it unfinished, in order to get feedback from the community. I guess thats why he/she has just the region colors for the bonus names.

whitestazn88 wrote:...anyways, if the cartographer really wants a theme, they can easily use a similar fantasy theme that the original centerscape had... with trolls, elves, wizards, dwarfs, men, and hobbits (err.... scratch the hobbits.) But i think that would work really well, then maybe the cartographer could incorporate little pictures into the regions or make the regions differently colored to adhere to the said species to which they belong.

oaktown wrote:...it can be called Centerscape and create an entirely new land of dragons and magic. Hmm, a few dragons would kinda kick ass on that map.

I do not agree with you saaimen, it has a theme. From my point of view this map can only be a fantasy map, else why should we call it centerscape as a reminder of it's previous version. I'm not saying the #2 and #3 aren't good map ideas, they are, but for Christ sake we are speaking about the bible of fantasy literature, making it a Pirates game or an Antiquity one is out of place. Now it is also true it is some short of "juice" and as RjBeals says this map has plenty of room for more developments. The whitestazn88's and oaktown's suggestions are a good start. Remember this is only a draft not a final map.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby daydream on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:53 am

#2 got my vote. its fekkin awesome looking, and (no) beard cracked me up.
Lieutenant daydream

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:56 am

pamoa wrote:
saaimen wrote:But it has no theme. Jeez, I don't get the #4 hype.

whitestazn88 wrote:...anyways, if the cartographer really wants a theme, they can easily use a similar fantasy theme that the original centerscape had... with trolls, elves, wizards, dwarfs, men, and hobbits (err.... scratch the hobbits.) But i think that would work really well, then maybe the cartographer could incorporate little pictures into the regions or make the regions differently colored to adhere to the said species to which they belong.

oaktown wrote:...it can be called Centerscape and create an entirely new land of dragons and magic. Hmm, a few dragons would kinda kick ass on that map.

I do not agree with you saaimen, it has a theme. From my point of view this map can only be a fantasy map, else why should we call it centerscape as a reminder of it's previous version. I'm not saying the #2 and #3 aren't good map ideas, they are, but for Christ sake we are speaking about the bible of fantasy literature, making it a Pirates game or an Antiquity one is out of place. Now it is also true it is some short of "juice" and as RjBeals says this map has plenty of room for more developments. The whitestazn88's and oaktown's suggestions are a good start. Remember this is only a draft not a final map.

i don't think centerscape is the name of the map.... it just what we had to rename middle earth. the title can be changed, as is evidenced by the title in the 2nd map
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby saaimen on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am

pamoa wrote:I do not agree with you saaimen, it has a theme. From my point of view this map can only be a fantasy map, else why should we call it centerscape as a reminder of it's previous version. I'm not saying the #2 and #3 aren't good map ideas, they are, but for Christ sake we are speaking about the bible of fantasy literature, making it a Pirates game or an Antiquity one is out of place. Now it is also true it is some short of "juice" and as RjBeals says this map has plenty of room for more developments. The whitestazn88's and oaktown's suggestions are a good start. Remember this is only a draft not a final map.

I completely agree with the underlined part. I'm a huge fan of the trilogy, honestly. And that is exactly why I believe we cannot possibly make a map that DOESN'T look like Middle-Earth, and then try to bring it closer to the atmosphere of Middle-Earth. That's crazy. In fact the only map of Middle-Earth I would like to play on should be drawn on the original artwork included in the book. But since that's not possible, I'd rather just keep the gameplay with a completely unrelated theme, and then choose the best map. Which still isn't #4.
And #3 is, in fact, a final map. Or at least the only contestant that could be one.
ImageImage

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 am

oaktown wrote: Hmm, a few dragons would kinda kick ass on that map.

YES. Add some dragons!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby totalbasscase on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 pm

oaktown wrote:
edbeard wrote:it certainly looks like a winner has been determined but there is still a second round so anything can happen. though maybe less of a possibility when it would appear that everyone will move on to the next round.

If I were the maker of #3 I don't think I'd be too excited about making a redo. With just 22 of 300 votes, it's clearly not what folks are looking for in a Centerscape map. Not that I have any insight into that mapmaker's state of mind... I'm just saying, is all.

As for a theme for #4 (and #1), I was originally disappointed that considering all of the talent we have around here only two mapmakers made the effort to lay the Centerscape gameplay over an original theme. My earlier comments should not be considered a poke at the mapmaker (who has a made a great map) but at all of the mapmakers out there who couldn't come up with something. You should all consider the brainpower that went into #3 and #2 and wonder if you capable of such feats. ;)

The winning map can, of course, have no theme and just be called "Centerscape" but I don't think that will bring in the players that the same map will attract if it's got a really good idea behind it. Or it can be called Centerscape and create an entirely new land of dragons and magic. Hmm, a few dragons would kinda kick ass on that map.

As a former student of Near East history I would LOVE to see #3 remade as just what it is - the Epic Tales of Gilgamesh. Nobody has a copyright on Gilgamesh. The story is there, the map looks beautiful, and the gameplay has already been proven.

Don't understand this hype for #4, at all.
Lieutenant totalbasscase

Postby saaimen on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:47 pm

totalbasscase wrote:The story is there, the map looks beautiful, and the gameplay has already been proven.
Don't understand this hype for #4, at all.

=D>

One of my kind :P
ImageImage

Postby mibi on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:59 pm

I believe #2 is none other than our own BryGuy! Well done on some markable improvement.
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:41 pm

mibi wrote:I believe #2 is none other than our own BryGuy! Well done on some markable improvement.

and where the hell have you been !
Private RjBeals

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51 pm

RjBeals wrote:
mibi wrote:I believe #2 is none other than our own BryGuy! Well done on some markable improvement.

and where the hell have you been !
haha
Major WidowMakers

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:34 am

what map has he done?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions