Add more Time Options for Speed Games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Suggestions Team

Re: Speed Games

Postby poo-maker on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:5 Minutes will almost certainly be the minimum time option.

--Andy

Can I ask why? What harm would there be in adding a shorter time option? People wouldn't neccessarily have to play it.
Brigadier poo-maker

Medals: 19
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Not enough people would play it to make it worth the trouble. Sometimes it isn't physically possible to take your turn in less than about 2.5 minutes... and anything between 2.5 and 5, isn't different enough from 5 to be worth it.
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Medals: 2
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 am

2 minutes, maybe. Variance up to 10 minutes or some-such, maybe. 1 minute? No: any spot of lag means a missed or incomplete turn. Not enough leeway for people who don't have God's Internet Connection. Variance in Speed Game round length has been suggested several times before, and I don't know what stopped it before.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby Herakilla on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:33 pm

the reasons for no variance are mainly because of the trouble that can arise when people figure out how to abuse the xtra or lower time limits.

for less than 5 mins, like its been said already, you really need a fast connection and a good browser to effectively play

for more than 5 mins it can become ugly. lets say 10 min rounds. well if i start losing against you i could revert to a really cheap way to win and just wait you out. ill start taking all ten minutes of my turns and look! 6 turns is an hour! and thats for freestyle... its even worse for sequential lol. this means i can basically guarentee a victory if i plan a couple hours to play and then just stall those games until you leave in digust or because of real life things

so one way it makes those with money win and the other way it allows those who are willing to do ANYTHING to win when they shouldnt
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 12:15 pm

For those who play Freestyle Speed Games in Real Time (only one game at a time), 5 minutes is too long. You basically twiddle your thumbs for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes waiting for the last 90 or 60 seconds to play.

I'd like to see a "Super Speed" option for Freestyle games only - something like 2 or 2 1/2 minutes per round. It would reduce the time to play a Freestyle Speed game in half because most rounds last the full 5 minutes.

I think 1 minute rounds are too short.

bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Freestyle Super Speed Game option - 2 minutes per round

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 12:17 pm

For those who play Freestyle Speed Games in Real Time (only one game at a time), 5 minutes is too long. You basically twiddle your thumbs for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes waiting for the last 90 or 60 seconds to play.

I'd like to see a "Super Speed" option for Freestyle games only - something like 2 or 2 1/2 minutes per round. It would reduce the time to play a Freestyle Speed game in half because currently most rounds last the full 5 minutes as people wait for the last 60 seconds to play.

Thanks for considering this,
bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Freestyle Super Speed Game option - 2 minutes per round

Postby xxtig12683xx on Thu May 08, 2008 12:34 pm

actually a really good idea, as there is alot of down time watching the seconds tick away.

-tig
"there is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy" NM, 1502
Lieutenant xxtig12683xx

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 08, 2008 1:49 pm

5 minutes will almost always be the minimum. This has been suggested before in numerous topics, I refer you to one of those by searching.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Andy,

>>
5 minutes will almost always be the minimum. This has been suggested before in numerous topics, I refer you to one of those by searching
>>

Why will 5 minutes almost always be the minimum.

I've searched the previous threads and I've can't find a suitable reason why not except for:
- not enough demand to make it worthwhile
- connection speed

If this has been "suggested before in numerous topics", then there is obviously demand.
And the people with slow connection speeds are not playing Freestyle Speed games.

I agree this isn't a good fit for Sequential games because people sometimes play more than 1 sequential speed at a time, but for Freestyle Speed games it would cut game times in HALF - that is significant.

Please provide a reason why a "Super Speed" option couldn't be offered for Freestyle Speed games.

Thanks,
bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Postby bcolety on Thu May 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Justification for Shorter turns - from another post on 8 player Freestyle Speed games

>>

2. Almost every turn is decided in the last 12 to 30 seconds. If you don't enjoy this style of playing, i'd recommend not playing this type of game. However please stop bitching about playing this way, it is absolutely a requirement to be successful to be able to make moves in the last seconds. Anyone who is not able to, or chooses not to will never be better than marginal at this type of game.

>>

This is the style of play in these games - all I'm asking is for less "dead time" from the start of the turn until the action really starts.

Thanks,
bcolety
Lieutenant bcolety

Postby poo-maker on Thu May 08, 2008 6:05 pm

I agree with bcolety. On average, freestyle speed players spend 50% of the time waiting for the clock. It would be so much easier if the rounds were only 2 mins. Whats the harm in adding 1 more option? Noones going to force anyone to play it.
Brigadier poo-maker

Medals: 19
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 08, 2008 6:20 pm

There is always a slim chance it could become an option, but it'd be low priority on the To-Do list.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Timminz on Thu May 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Why not just make all freestyle speed games shorter?
Major Timminz

Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Speed Games 3 Minutes from 5

Postby FabledIntegral on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Concise description:

Make speed games 3 minutes from 5. Speed games don't need to be 5 minutes, in freestyle or sequential. 3 minutes is plenty to do your move. In freestyle, people usually wait the entire time anyways, and would only need about a 1 minute turn max, however I realize some people like to strategize more (however please put emphasis on the fact these are SPEED games, not casual). In sequential, playing 8-player sequential games can take hours.

So what happens? People who play sequential join a LOT of speed games at once because they don't want to wait. Therefore they consistently are jumping from game to game, making people wait even longer for games (thus everyone joins multiple games at once), and no one is focused on any particular game. People who are focusing on one particular game often have the game ruined because the others don't have enough time to recognize the map and determine the best possible action, they just deploy and attack whoever quickly to get a card, then end. I've had it happen numerous times.

Freestyle is self-explanatory. No one uses the first 2 minutes anyways. No one even uses the first 4 minutes. We don't need 5 minute turns.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

People don't have to wait as long in games, and in sequential will be able to pay more attention to the games at hand, thus not ruining the game for others. I could care less if they can't handle the games themselves, but it's ridiculous when others just are in SO many games and then just do whatever. Games would move along quicker with 3 minute turns so anyone who wants to argue they like having lots of games for lots of points all at once, it's the same concept. You'll finish the games faster, and you could still have 2 speed games open at once.
Major FabledIntegral

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Speed Games 3 Minutes from 5

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 pm

I'll get you in the proper forum. ;)

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Postby Timminz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Uh, you're in the wrong forum. But I would rather see a 1 speed game at a time limit. I know it would never happen, but I'd like to see people paying attention to the games they're playing. If I'm playing a 6 way sequential game, I can use other people's turns to adjust my strategy, and when my turn comes, I know exactly what I'm going to do. Personally, playing multiple games just hurts my strategy in both, so I only play one at a time.

Sorry for taking your thread slightly off-topic.
Major Timminz

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby BaldAdonis on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm

How many times have I seen this come up though:
Chadwick31 attacked Brazil from North Africa and conquered it from GLENN
Chadwick31 ran out of time
BaldAdonis receives 3 armies for 9 territories
BaldAdonis deployed 3 armies on Siberia
BaldAdonis attacked Ural from Siberia and conquered it from GLENN
BaldAdonis attacked Yakutsk from Siberia and conquered it from GLENN
BaldAdonis eliminated GLENN from the game

3 minutes is not a lot of time to set up for kills on many fronts, especially when you need to test the water on a few 20 stacks. Maybe you can do it with clickable maps and autoattack, but I'd prefer the extra time.
Lieutenant BaldAdonis

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (19) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:51 pm

5 minute turn lengths will most likely be the shortest turn length we'll ever offer.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Postby mibi on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:55 pm

some turns on some maps just take a long time, especially on unlimited mortification.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby FabledIntegral on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:01 pm

BaldAdonis wrote:How many times have I seen this come up though:

3 minutes is not a lot of time to set up for kills on many fronts, especially when you need to test the water on a few 20 stacks. Maybe you can do it with clickable maps and autoattack, but I'd prefer the extra time.

Are you kidding? How slow are you..?
Major FabledIntegral

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Johnny Rockets on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, how about Speed (5min) and Speed Plus (3min) ???

Keep the 5 min version for more complex maps or high # player games, and put in 3 min option for one one ones.

Best of both worlds.

John
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Rockets

Medals: 51
Conquer Cup Silver Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby Timminz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:13 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:
BaldAdonis wrote:How many times have I seen this come up though:

Are you kidding? How slow are you..?

I think you missed the point.
Major Timminz

YES!!

Postby frankroz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:12 pm

I am all in favor of 3 minute games....just give us the option - it can't be THAT hard to code if there is already a 5 minute game.

If people want the full 5 minutes - then don't join a 3 minute game.

If the code folks would go out to the speed game database and see how long the average turn took (minus the deadbeats), I'm guessing they would find the turns to take well under 3 minutes.
Sergeant 1st Class frankroz

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: YES!!

Postby Timminz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 pm

frankroz wrote:If the code folks would go out to the speed game database and see how long the average turn took (minus the deadbeats), I'm guessing they would find the turns to take well under 3 minutes.
true, MOST of the turns take a lot less than 5 mins. Hell. The majority of mine are about 20 seconds, but try killing someone on 4 fronts, with 100 armies, over 15 terits, without just blindly auto-ing everything, and you'll find that 3 mins is nowhere near enough for the MOST IMPORTANT turns.

disclaimer- the majority of my speed games are 6 way escalating sequential, and thus, I'm commenting specifically on those.
Major Timminz

Postby frankroz on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:14 am

so what your saying is you wouldn't sign up for a 3 minute game. that's fine - BUT, if there is a crowd out here that would like to try that option - why is everyone being so negative?

why does this forum have to bash every new idea?

there are a few options I don't care for in the game, but for the most part I like the website, so I became a paying member. At the same time, people like to see new features. It seems like everytime I see someone suggest a new feature, there are half a dozen folks explaining why it won't work.

But the beauty of this game is selecting options you want. Perhaps "you" like playing escalting only games - personaly I think an escalating game is all about luck - but I think it is great folks can play that option if they wish to.

so, there are folks that wish for a 3 minute option - heck, I would also like to see a 12 hour option....why do "you" care if I find a group of folks that like those options, and we play some games?

Can't "you" see that the more options available translates into a larger interest from the general public? A larger interest translates into more funds - and with more funds comes more features....

This website is like a club, there are always members leaving and new ones coming on board. If you can't find ways to bring new folks on board eventually the site will die.
Sergeant 1st Class frankroz

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions