Add more Time Options for Speed Games

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: RT

Postby delahoc on Fri May 18, 2007 7:40 pm

[quote="coolpsp"]RT game type

so instead of clicking Freestyle or sequential you select RT which means the game is freestyle but each round is limited to 1 hour which is good because you can play quicker games and it wouldn't be too diffucult to do.[/quote]

Not a bad option. But also adding in 12hr or 8hr max turn limits would be a popular improvement. Frankly, I'd be eager to play Rt games as well as 8hr games. Maybe a 10min max?

BTW - for what we are told is one of the most popular requests, this one does seem to be taking a while to make it ....

Not a gripe ... well, maybe a little ...
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby dominationnation on Sat May 19, 2007 12:35 am

8 hour game wouldnt work.

say there are 3 players.

player A makes his move at 10 in the morning
player B takes his turn 7 hours later at 5.
Player C goes 7 hours later at midnight.
Player A cant be expected to be awake at midnight or wake up before 8 just to play cc. I mean I would do it but normal people wouldnt
Cook dominationnation

Spot on.

Postby shyteds on Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm

When I played risk at a friends house it worked out that anyone taking longer than 10 minutes to negotiate an alliance and another 5 to deploy and attack was just not very good at the game anyway, and it was more fun to play a whole game in a night. I think sequential 10/15mins a turn is definitely the way to go!!! A 3 hour real time game would be an excellent idea.
Private 1st Class shyteds

Re: Spot on.

Postby delahoc on Tue May 29, 2007 1:05 am

[quote="shyteds"]When I played risk at a friends house it worked out that anyone taking longer than 10 minutes to negotiate an alliance and another 5 to deploy and attack was just not very good at the game anyway, and it was more fun to play a whole game in a night. I think sequential 10/15mins a turn is definitely the way to go!!! A 3 hour real time game would be an excellent idea.[/quote]

Yup, I'm with you. A 10 or 15 minutes RT game would work real well.

I understand the argument about an 8 hour game, but if people know what they're signing up for, then what's the problem? Maybe a 1 hour max? Or a 4 hour max?

All I know for sure is that I'm sick to death of waiting 24 hours for someone to miss a turn, then waiting another 24 hours for them to miss another turn ... etc. I've had games drag out for a week or more because people only logged on once a day - and sometimes not even that often. Makes the game drag for the rest of us that want things to move along quickly.

d
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby balvanboy on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:51 pm

When we can play live games?
Corporal balvanboy

Postby 3seven1 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 pm

This is a great idea.

In the mean-time, i'll check out the callout board.
Corporal 1st Class 3seven1

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Awesome on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:12 pm

I like the idea of the realtime game for 3 hours, and then it switching over to a normal 12/24 hour turns. Because If you sign up for a rt game you are expected to play straight for the next block of time. But for the games that go on longer than expected.. some people need to sleep!
Lieutenant Awesome

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby 3seven1 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 pm

If you need to sleep then don't join a game with a time limit. Join a game that is set to 24 hour turns. This would just be an option for those of us that don't want to wait 2 weeks to finish a game and don't need sleep.

Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Awesome on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:53 am

I'm just saying, sometimes games go much longer than expected. Maybe you only play escalating card games, but holy crap can no card games go on forever.
For games that go on 5, 6, 7 hours. Who plays straight for that long? Who wants to be sitting up at 4am thinking "I wish I could sleep, but I don't want to lose this game"
The shorter time limit games are a great idea for rt games. But there has to be some way out of it for the games that never end.
Lieutenant Awesome

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby 3seven1 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:45 pm

I understand. But this is just an option, it's not meant to be a new standard for the site. I'd love to have this as an option when starting a new game or for when i'm trying to join a new game.

Postby colaj23 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

ok, its august... when the hell are speed-games coming?
Lack, and other mod and admin, i realize that you all have a lot of stuff to take care of on the to-do list, but i want these games to come out soon. i took a summer break from cc b/c i couldn't be sure that i would make all of my turns, and i dont want to make anyones life miserable. could you just give us a vague date, even the month would be spectacular. Thanks.
-Nicola
Private 1st Class colaj23

Postby frenkimercenary on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 am

i agree!
Sergeant frenkimercenary

Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Herakilla on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:33 am

frenkimercenary wrote:i agree!

speed games are already out! and the post before yours was in AUGUST lol
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Add more Time Options for Speed Games

Postby herndawg on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:56 pm

Concise description:
  • Give the option in speed games for 1 minutes, 2 1/2 minute, and 5 minute turns.

Specifics/Details:
  • Many times players complain about how slow speed games go, especially when everybody waits 4 minutes and 30 seconds before doing anything. This would give the option to have much faster speed games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • It will vastly speed up speed games, and give an option for faster, or slower speed games
Last edited by blakebowling on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated first post and title
Captain herndawg

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby hecter on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 pm

I think minute and a half times would be totally awesome... I don't know about choosing your own times however, that could complicate things and make it all messy...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Kemmler on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 am

Yeah, sounds brilliant. May even shoehorn me into a premium, IF the server speeds up too.
Cook Kemmler

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am

1 minute would be rather dicey for a guy on dial-up. I'd suggest a 2 minute minimum to allow for network latency. The idea, definite thumbs-up. Speed chess-style, just applied to CC.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby Top Dog on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Don't think so! Not for me anyways... 5 min. isn't always enough!
High Score: 1384 w/ 42% games won
Corporal Top Dog

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby darth emperor on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:27 pm

...but the problems will be on large maps like world 2.1....
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8)
Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby herndawg on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Top Dog wrote:Don't think so! Not for me anyways... 5 min. isn't always enough!

True, but you don't HAVE to play the smaller time limit. Just like I don't play the freestyle right now.
Captain herndawg

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby herndawg on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:06 pm

darth emperor wrote:...but the problems will be on large maps like world 2.1....

The 5 minute speed game would still be there.
Captain herndawg

Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby herndawg on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm

TaCktiX wrote:1 minute would be rather dicey for a guy on dial-up. I'd suggest a 2 minute minimum to allow for network latency. The idea, definite thumbs-up. Speed chess-style, just applied to CC.

Didn't think of dial up. Good point. What would be the coolest if when you create a game you could choose Speed Game and then Minutes allowed
The only thing changing is the minutes per turn, still same refresh and everything.

Imagine a Freestyle Classic with like 5 or 6 people, much less of the waiting at the end for last minute attacks, it would be crazy. Yes maybe not as much time for strategy but it would really be intense.
Captain herndawg

Ratings Achievement (2)

5 minute limit on speed games.

Postby devilsnyankees on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:30 am

i wish for CC to make it so that you can setup your speed game to be between 1 and 5 minutes. so many people i talk to think that waiting 5 minutes is still a long time to wait. a 5 minute sequential game can last hours.
Cadet devilsnyankees

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 am

5 minutes is probably going to be the standard-low, any less and it actually makes the game harder and longer, since less and less can be done in a turn.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby CryWolf on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am

I think the 5minutes in the beginning are needed so that everyone has time to realize that the game has begun. However, subsequent turns could take less. I'm kind of in the middle on this because the more time variants you have, the more chance that people will not join a particular game because they differ on opinions of how long a turn should take.
Lieutenant CryWolf

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions