- Remove duplicates of the same exact game from "Join a Game".
- Also probably some simple filtering of very excessive similar games.
- Clean up Suggestions Forum by organized central lists?
- See below
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
- Helps people try different games using Join a Game, encourage expanding your horizon and make it easier to find fun games.
- Help make the suggestions forum easy to search for previous suggestions?
Join a Game cleanup: I wouldn't be surprised if this type of thing has been suggested before, but I would think a few minor alterations to the Join A Game link would allow for a much better CC experience. It's where I would go for games, especially as a new user. As time has gone on, I've come to enjoy some types of games more than others, but I still think ideally Find A Game would be a great place to be tempted to try new game types/setupos I haven't really looked into before. I personally enjoy a lot of variety in my games.
Right now, it could just be me, but the majority of page 1 of Join A Game is populated with duplicated games... very few map varieties... and games filled with team games against well organized teams of experts.
Now I know that putting the created games earliest first is both kind to those waiting longest (which I like) and thereby also a bit of a benefit to longtime users and pay members. Which I'm not really against. But a bit of minor filtering would make the page a lot more useful in my opinion.
- Top desire: Remove from the list all exactly duplicated games until the prior ones will... or at most keep 2 copies. By duplicate I mean same map, same setup. Especially if every player is exactly the same. Having 10 copies might help a user get more attention, but I'm really doubting it helps them get many more games... and it would be beneficial for much more of the community to have more variety
- Less pressing/probably more controversial: Apply more looser limits to the page using broader filters? Maybe only a certain # of games per person on the page. Maybe only a certain number per type/size/options/map.
Maybe even set it so that at least maybe something like 1/4 of the results will have only 1 remaining player needed, another 1/4 more than half full... to make the page a bit extra useful (seems like 75% of the time I use the page, I join in a game and wait many days... in part because there's so many other empty games on page 1). Mix up the result order a bit so that people don't just focus on nearly full games, but encourage use of the page more. Not sure about this one, but welcome any ways that make the page more useful/popular and get games going for all, while encouraging variety
Cleanup of Suggestions Forum: Maybe I missed something, but I found it impossible to find something applicable to my suggestion above!?! Searching by those words found tons of other messages relating to it in no real way. There's also not much organization to things at this point. I tried looking through Accepted/Rejected folders... but goodness, what, like 100 pages each!?!
To which I offer... maybe, with a little initiative, we put together some topics with organized lists of similar threads???
Because there's obviously a lot of repeated themes. First of all, there's game setup options, game play options (resign/draw/etc), and probably other primary topics like forum setup thoughts, account options (emails and such), and of course maybe some misc? Then there are common themes within some of those that could further group threads.
I'm guessing people have talked about reorganization like this has been suggested before. But maybe where this is different... is that I think I'd be willing to perhaps take up at least a significant part of grouping old threads in Accepted/Rejected and such. I'm not sure I'd be so great at sticking up with it with new threads... so basically what I'm asking is
- Is there real interest in a cleanup like this
- Is it likely we can find people to keep it up... rather promptly tie new threads to old threads when a user is lame and doesn't go looking so we don't get millions of old dead duplicated threads... and update the organization threads as new thoughts come up. I've gotta think there's a ton of duplication, and I'd think in the future we could move to limit a bit of that, and would help a lot. Make this a bit more streamlined overall?
Thanks for hearing my suggestions, and please do respond with your thoughts whatever they may be