Free to Play Speed Games on Classic Map

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Free to play Speed Games on Classic Map

Postby cooldeals on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Default CC seems good to me too.

I just met another new recruit in Live Chat named dunan_t. Same old story, "I have to wait 24 hours for each player?". Had already joined 4 games trying to get to play a turn so he couldn't even RT. CC really needs this imo to keep some of those New Recruits. CC is amazing once you get used to it, but too many people don't even necessarily get to play a turn before they've decided to quit.
Colonel cooldeals
Chatter
Chatter

Medals: 103
Monthly Leader Gold (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (15) Challenge Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby maxfaraday on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I have a mitigated opinion about this suggestion.
Yes, it would probably make new users stay and maybe buy premium.
But on the other hand there will be too many monkeys and older users will never join/create these games.
I would say ok go for it but limit it to 5 players; they came here to play risk, so 5 players esc classic is what they want, if they enjoy it maybe they'll buy premium, and they're more likely do so if they get a taste of speed games, because that's what they're looking for.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 am

I missed this suggestion while I was on break from CC, but I can say without qualification that this is the best content suggestion I have seen in a long time. I am going to push hard to get this to be the among the first new things implemented from Suggestions.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 am

I think that this thread may go here as well: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=85439
Major chapcrap

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:11 am

chapcrap wrote:I think that this thread may go here as well: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 71&t=85439

I don't think so. Giving unpaid players access to free speed games on the Classic Map is a gift. If they want to abuse that gift by then asking for more, we can always take the gift away :D

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (7)

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I think that this thread may go here as well: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=85439

I don't think so. Giving unpaid players access to free speed games on the Classic Map is a gift. If they want to abuse that gift by then asking for more, we can always take the gift away :D

Both suggestions are about giving speed games to freemiums.
Major chapcrap

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 am

chapcrap wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I think that this thread may go here as well: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 71&t=85439

Both suggestions are about giving speed games to freemiums.

Sure but this is a very specific suggestion: we're not giving speed games to freemiums in the sense that they can play whatever map they want. They can play classic map only, because that's what most people come here looking to play and that is what will convince them to subscribe to premium. Giving them free speed games in general doesn't really yield an incentive to subscribe to premium.

General Contribution (7)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Here's my sentiments on this suggestion in no particular order:

First off, I think it's a good idea to at least try. Whether or not it would actually boost membership is still to be determined but I suppose it's worth a shot. However, I think that this suggestion could in some ways be a two-sided coin. You may gain new subscribers from those who get addicted to the game but then again you may lose potential subscribers in that free classic speed games may be all the new recruits want. If I had been able to play free classic speed games when I first joined the site I don't know if I would have decided to buy premium.
This leads me to think that maybe the classic map isn't the best choice for the free speeder option. Perhaps a lesser know, smaller map like Doodle Earth or Luxembourg which would give new recruits a taste of what could be but not giving them exactly what they want.

Another thing that I have to add is that I myself did not buy premium to play speed games, only to get more games going at once. I can't say whether or not this is the reason most players buy premium, just that at least one person was not persuaded by speed games at all.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Here's my sentiments on this suggestion in no particular order:

First off, I think it's a good idea to at least try. Whether or not it would actually boost membership is still to be determined but I suppose it's worth a shot. However, I think that this suggestion could in some ways be a two-sided coin. You may gain new subscribers from those who get addicted to the game but then again you may lose potential subscribers in that free classic speed games may be all the new recruits want.

I do not have the numbers for either side of this argument. But I would bet that we lose a significant number of recruits as well because they sign up, realize they can't play any real time games, and just leave.

If I had been able to play free classic speed games when I first joined the site I don't know if I would have decided to buy premium.

For this reason, I think that if we implement this, it should be with a cap on the number of free Classic speed games you can play per month. I do not know what the number should be. 10? 25?

General Contribution (7)

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
If I had been able to play free classic speed games when I first joined the site I don't know if I would have decided to buy premium.

For this reason, I think that if we implement this, it should be with a cap on the number of free Classic speed games you can play per month. I do not know what the number should be. 10? 25?

In my opinion it should be a cap on speed games per day, not per month as I think that if someone were to use up their free speeders for the month they would look elsewhere having gotten used to having more or less unlimited speeders for a day or so. Either that or they would have gotten their fill completely of risk in that one day and were sated for another month. It's really a tough call as far as the number though. I think that your 25 a month guess would probably fit but you could maybe even double it if it were a daily cap.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

In my opinion it should be a cap on speed games per day, not per month as I think that if someone were to use up their free speeders for the month they would look elsewhere having gotten used to having more or less unlimited speeders for a day or so. Either that or they would have gotten their fill completely of risk in that one day and were sated for another month. It's really a tough call as far as the number though. I think that your 25 a month guess would probably fit but you could maybe even double it if it were a daily cap.

Ok, I agree. Two per day is a better customer retention strategy.

General Contribution (7)

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

For me, I think it would be better to make it like one/day or four/week or something like that. If it is done as ten/month, people will play all of them right away and be done for a month. To keep people coming back, it needs to be every day or week, IMO.
Major chapcrap

Postby cooldeals on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Ok, I agree. Two per day is a better customer retention strategy.

I haven't come back to this for a while but I'm very excited it is still a possibility. The reason I never suggested a limit is because I used to play risk on pogo.com with no limit. All they have is Classic also. I would assume many players would just go back to pogo.com once they ran out of games, but then again that kind of player may be too cheap to buy anyway. As long as we can get players to finish a few games on CC their chance of staying is much higher.

If a limit is implemented chapcrap is right, it's better to do a daily or weekly limit. Most New people are risk starved and they will likely max out whatever limit they have quickly so a shorter limit lets them come back tomorrow instead of 6 or 30 days later (if they come back).

I would recommend at least 4 games allowed the 1st day even if it's only 1 or 2 a day after that. You have to give someone several chances to win or improves and get the hunger. I know people are going to say people will make multiple accounts...yada...yada...yada....they could make multi's to circumvent any limit so it makes no difference.

It also might be important to note that if a limit is implemented we should have some kind of Notice explaining the limit when they hit, when they can come back and several other fun things in the site to check out such as their 4 games on unique maps in the 24 hour games, the SoC Trainings, forums, live chat, etc. Get them to look around the site.
Colonel cooldeals
Chatter
Chatter

Medals: 103
Monthly Leader Gold (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (15) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (15) Challenge Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby agentcom on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Yeah, I don't really like the limit idea for the reasons you mentioned. If we did limit them to a low weekly limit, I think that you should maybe expand the map or settings choices or something. Basically, I think, from a business standpoint, that we should be offering them at least what they can get elsewhere or close to it.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 pm

One other possibility is to not score fremium speed games - ie that you have to be premium to play speed and improve your rating.
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby chapcrap on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 am

thehippo8 wrote:One other possibility is to not score fremium speed games - ie that you have to be premium to play speed and improve your rating.

That's a completely different idea.
Major chapcrap

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 pm

chapcrap wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:One other possibility is to not score fremium speed games - ie that you have to be premium to play speed and improve your rating.

... and?
ImageImageImage
show

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby greenoaks on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm

i would go with 5 free speed games a day on Classic only.

not only would that give those new to the site a dose of what we have to offer it will increase the number of speed games available to the rest of us to play. a win win.

throw in the free speed on festive maps that we have throughout the year and i feel new recruits could get excited enough to stay and pay.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby darth emperor on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 pm

No score is bad idea, because

1- If only freemium can enter, people won't pay premium just to enjoy and mess with the games.
2- Even if premiums enter, people will mess the games a lot (as it won't affect your rating), so newbs won't come back, or learn bad strategy.

Maybe you could do is that these games doesn't count for the speed medal...
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

thehippo8 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

... and?

And this is a formed idea in Submitted. So, we won't be changing it to include a suggestion that is currently in Rejected.
Major chapcrap

Postby thehippo8 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm

chapcrap wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

... and?

And this is a formed idea in Submitted. So, we won't be changing it to include a suggestion that is currently in Rejected.

Lol ... you make it sound like my idea was challenging your authority in some way! Seriously? I'm sure all ideas remain amorphous and up for discussion at all times. Nothing is set in concrete and if a majority of people want something changed then they are fully entitled to do so, should that be in the best interests of CC! Be careful to not be too much of a naysayer - or at least in the way you say nay because this is a community. At any rate, it's great that the fremium speed classic game idea has so much interest. But we should continue to discuss the details until it is implemented.
ImageImageImage
show

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:27 pm

thehippo8 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

... and?

Lol ... you make it sound like my idea was challenging your authority in some way! Seriously? I'm sure all ideas remain amorphous and up for discussion at all times. Nothing is set in concrete and if a majority of people want something changed then they are fully entitled to do so, should that be in the best interests of CC! Be careful to not be too much of a naysayer - or at least in the way you say nay because this is a community. At any rate, it's great that the fremium speed classic game idea has so much interest. But we should continue to discuss the details until it is implemented.

No. I don't think you challenge my authority. I'm just explaining how the process works. When different ideas are introduced in a thread, they are open to be posted as a new idea, but there has already been a consensus here. That's all I'm saying.
Major chapcrap

Postby thehippo8 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Oh, shall I start a new thread or can you split this one? Seemed to me that lots of ideas are being discussed around the core idea - up to you I guess.
ImageImageImage
show

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Oh, shall I start a new thread or can you split this one? Seemed to me that lots of ideas are being discussed around the core idea - up to you I guess.

I would start a new thread if you really wanted a new, unique suggestion.
Major chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 am

chap, making the speed games un-scored is not a different suggestion, it is a revision of the current suggestion.

Everyone, it would be nice if some data were gathered on how other gaming websites approach this. How many games do they give away for free as part of a business model that convinces you to purchase a subscription? If we had some actual data on this it would be easier to make the case to the admins.

General Contribution (7)

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions