Turn delay [done]

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Turn delay [done]

Postby Itrade on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:26 am

Can we have an option to turn turn delay off?
Sergeant 1st Class Itrade

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

turn delay

Postby lackattack on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:49 am

Here's the deal with turn delay: when the last player takes his turn, a new round begins and he/she can immediately take a second turn. You can take advantage of the double-turn to conquer a continent and earn the bonus before anyone has a chance to bust you. or take out a weak opponent before he/she gets a chance to play. that is arguably unfair.

So I put in a turn delay rule that makes you wait 180 minutes between turns, to give some time for other players login.

There is no turn delay on sequential games, because you can't take a double-turn in sequential.

So, should I remove turn delay? it could make double-turns a huge part of the strategy, but at least you cannot do two double-turns in a row. people won't be annoyed with having to wait.
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby destructo on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:19 am

definitely dont remove it, if u could make an option to have turn delay on,that would be cool though,even though personally I hate it
Corporal 1st Class destructo

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby Ran Taro on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:10 pm

There definatley needs to be some mechanism to prevent double turns.

I would suggest that, rather than a delay, the game simply doesn't allow a player to take two turns in a row. The last player in each round's dot would be red at the start of the next round, and they can't play until someone else has made a move - at which point their dot turns green again.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could add another colour dot for this (orange?) or even mouse over text that says "Played last last round, cant play first this round". Else you could just add it to the rules page if that's too hard.
Corporal Ran Taro

Postby molestar on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:22 pm

I disagree with changing it.

It should be a game option when creating the game, either allow double moves or disallow?

Anyone agree with that?
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Re: Turn delay

Postby Itrade on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:39 am

Itrade wrote:Can we have an option to turn turn delay off?

Notice how I said an option and not asking for it to be removed entirely. You put it in for a reason but if some people disagree they should always be able to turn it off when creating a new game.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

turn delay

Postby lackattack on Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:43 am

You're right, turn delay can be a game option.

I also find Ran Taro's idea very interesting. Unlike turn delay, it will allow for quick rounds under 180 minutes.

So the rule can be "if you are the last to play in a round, you cannot be the first to play in the next round" and I can add a game option "Allow double-turns: Yes No"

Is this the ultimate solution or what?
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby molestar on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:08 pm

whta?
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Re: turn delay

Postby Ran Taro on Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:51 am

lackattack wrote:You're right, turn delay can be a game option.

I also find Ran Taro's idea very interesting. Unlike turn delay, it will allow for quick rounds under 180 minutes.

So the rule can be "if you are the last to play in a round, you cannot be the first to play in the next round" and I can add a game option "Allow double-turns: Yes No"

I think so, why not give it a go, see how it works?
Corporal Ran Taro

Re: turn delay

Postby Itrade on Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:23 pm

lackattack wrote:You're right, turn delay can be a game option.

Exactly what I was meaning. Excellent.

Ratings Achievement (1)

Return to Implemented Suggestions