My personal gripe

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

My personal gripe

Postby B-Vaughn on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:05 pm

Lackattack.....my suggestion is to limit a timeframe for a turn (say 15 mins total) ...I see folks opening a turn and lollygagging hoping to watch everyone else in order to maximize their attacks / fortifications..in this particular game the individual has had their turn open for a half hour reacting to others' moves....my bitch is that I have 2 countries and 5 cards and if the person would have ended thier turn then the game would be open for all to play and I would have a chance to live....I guess my chances are pretty much the same either way, but it is SELFISH and controlling and I get enough of that in the real world!! Probably just being petty and childish myself but I figure you play and go on.....
Private 1st Class B-Vaughn

Postby qeee1 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:24 pm

I used to argue the other side, but I can see just how much it can be abused, so now I'll say that yeah sure implement it if you want but 15mins is not enough.
Colonel qeee1

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Fixing Turn Ending

Postby JonasKBlack on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:09 pm

How about you make Team Games Sequential by TEAM but FREESTYLE by players.

EXAMPLE: Team A can all move in Freestyle but they end their turn as a team and Team B can move in Freestyle and then they end their turn.

This would end people who just keep their turn open to wait for the other players to go because there would be no benefit to it. I hope this makes sense because I think it is a good solution for both sides of this argument.
Corporal 1st Class JonasKBlack

extension

Postby JonasKBlack on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:10 pm

This would also remove the need for a time limit other than the 24 hr one that is already in place. No turn time limit.

This does look like abuse

Postby Scarus on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:46 pm

I've heard stories where doubles team partners playing in games with unlimited fortications do not complete their fortifications for almost 24 hours. They basically outwait their opponents. Then, acting in concert finish their fortifications and start their next turn. The are basically then getting four turns in a row. There definitely needs to be some kind of limit as too how long a turn can last. This would also help eliminate the long delays where players neglect to finish their turn and then make everyone else wait for over 20 hours to move onto the next round. I would suggest longer than fifteen minutes though. Perhaps 30 minutes, or even an hour. That would serve to eliminate the most serious abuses without impacting anyone else's game.

Scarus
Sergeant Scarus

Standard Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby JonasKBlack on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:50 pm

The Sequential/Freestyle combo would fix that. The team could then still take as long as they want to fortify, but they would no longer be allowed to wait and see what the other team is going to do before ending their turn.

Re: This does look like abuse

Postby wicked on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Scarus wrote:I've heard stories where doubles team partners playing in games with unlimited fortications do not complete their fortifications for almost 24 hours. They basically outwait their opponents. Then, acting in concert finish their fortifications and start their next turn.
Scarus

YEP! I'm in a game like that now! :roll:
Major wicked

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Dragonslayer on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Lackattack, I do think that a reasonable time limit to the turn once it has been initialized is the right answer.

It would also solve the problem of newbies who don't know that they're holding everyone up when they don't hit "end fortification."
Last edited by Dragonslayer on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private Dragonslayer

Postby Scarus on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:35 pm

JonasKBlack wrote:The Sequential/Freestyle combo would fix that. The team could then still take as long as they want to fortify, but they would no longer be allowed to wait and see what the other team is going to do before ending their turn.

Even in a sequential game there's no reason anyone should need more than an hour to coplete their turn, once it has started. Certainly, there is no possible honorable reason that anyone would need to take over 20 hours to finish their fortifications. What is the point of allowing all this time to complete a person's turn once it has begun. Perhaps the required programming is a problem, but this should be addressed if possible.

Oh Great Lack, we humbly request your attention to this problem.

Scarus
Sergeant Scarus

Standard Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Return to Implemented Suggestions